Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 3racing winch and servo controller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 3racing winch and servo controller

so i have trashed a bunch of 3racing winch controllers over the summer, (not from short circuits or water from modding the truck and breaking the wires off the boards) can anyone tell me if a micro servo will work for a winch controller i have a crap load of them just rotting they are spectrum s75 that came with my dx6. or will the load of the winch smoke them.
towjockeyrc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Yeah it should work, but it will depend on how many amps you pull though the board. As some mini/mirco servo boards are not rated for a heap of amps.
As far as i know the 3racing winch pulls about 2amps stalled (cant remember where i heard that though) so keep that in mind.

Pull the servo apart, unsolder the motor, put on new wires to where the servo motor was connected. Once you done that pull out a fair bit of line, plug in and turn on you gear.
What will most likely happen at the start is the winch will spool in or out (that's why i said to pull out a bit of line, if it winds in you kill you winch)
Adjust the trim pot until the motor stops.
Bingo, one controller.

The last one i did i replaced the standard trim pot with a low profile one so i could easily shrink wrap the whole thing.. I've also heard that you can replace the pot totally with a resistor or two, but i've never tried this.

Hope he helps.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

thanks did it with two old regular servos it works great even has variable speed would like to know if it would work with the micro servos be neat to have in a smaller lighter package
towjockeyrc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The only way to really find out would be to try.
In theory it should work cause its still a servo board, but as i said depends on how many amps you draw across the mini servo board before you let the smoke out.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by towjockeyrc10 View Post
thanks did it with two old regular servos it works great even has variable speed would like to know if it would work with the micro servos be neat to have in a smaller lighter package
if have so many of them, it should not hurt to try one, so if you smoke the servo because of over draw, at least you will know. I've done the resister mod on a regular servo and it works well for lights, but you just need to know what K the pot is replace it with two resistor each equaling half the total of the pot.

look up the info on your micro servo if you're worried about frying it.

let us know.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote