Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hel with Lipo Chager/balancer set up, please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Hel with Lipo Chager/balancer set up, please.

Hello Everyone, im a bit confused with my charger and battery, regarding to the configuration of the charger.

the battery that i got is:
Venom 3800 mah, 7.4v, 35C

Configuration: 2S
Charge Rate: 3C (11.4A)
Continuous Discharge 35C (133A)
Min Discharge Volts Per Pack: 6.0V
Max Burst Rate: 70C (266A)
Max Volts Per Cell: 4.2V
Max Volts Per Pack: 8.4V
And this is my charger: http://www.lightinthebox.com/iMaxRC-...-_p101069.html

On the lipo batt program i got this options:

1.- Lipo Charge , Setting are:
Charge current, from 0.1A to 5.0A and the battery pac's voltage from 1S to 6S

Question 1: according to the battery which would be the ideal setting for this?

2.- Lipo Balance, settings are:
Charge current, from 0.1A to 5.0A and the battery pac's voltage from 1S to 6S

Question 2: according to the battery which would be the ideal setting for this?
Question 3: can i use this program to charge and balance at the same time?

3.- Lipo Storage, setting are:
Charge current, from 0.1A to 1A and the battery pac's voltage from 1S to 6S

Question 4: What is this program for?
Question 5: according to the battery which would be the ideal setting for this?

4.- Lipo Discharge, settings are:
Charge current, from 0.1A to 1A and the battery pac's voltage from 1S to 6S (3volt-6v, 9v, 12v, 15, and 18v)

Question 6: according to the battery which would be the ideal setting for this?
question 7: when discharging, the charger will stop automatically when the battery is done?

If you can help me with this, sorry for so many questions. Thanks very much.
Zedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I would balance charge it at 3.8a on 2s, you can charge it at 5a for a quicker charge. Balance plug needs to be plugged in for this mode of charging.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:39 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Question 6: according to the battery which would be the ideal setting for this?
question 7: when discharging, the charger will stop automatically when the battery is done?
Question 3.- Lipo Storage, setting are:
Charge current, from 0.1A to 1A and the battery pac's voltage from 1S to 6S

Unless your in a hurry just balance charge your lipo at 1c~{1A} probably take about 3hrs with that charger.
Yes it should shut down when it meets the desired voltage.
You dont have to use the store mode on the charger unless the lipos are going to be setting for a month or so not in use

Last edited by hardhead; 09-01-2010 at 03:44 AM.
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

1c = 3.8a for that pack...
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
1c = 3.8a for that pack...
O did know that. Thanks
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
I would balance charge it at 3.8a on 2s, you can charge it at 5a for a quicker charge. Balance plug needs to be plugged in for this mode of charging.
i would recommend against this. stick to 3.8A charge rate reguardless of balance charging or "quick" charging.

this isnt a nicd or nimh pack. quick charging does nothing for you.

charge lipo's the day before if you dont have time, dont risk the chance of burning a hole through your table.

ive had the same Team Orion 4800mah pack for over 3 years, and it still works like the day i bought it.
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

These are based on what I have my charger set to. I like to be easy on my battery so that it will last a very long time and will never start a fire.

1.Charge it at 3.0 amps just to be on the safe side and to be easy on the battery(3.0 amps will charge it quickly, trust me). And remember to balance it too.

2.- Set it to 2S and balance it at .01. Use this balance feature only to balance the battery after you have charged the battery of after you have discharged it into storage mode.

3.- You will use the storage feature for when you predict you will not be using your RC for over a week or two. The voltage that this mode will set your battery to will keep the battery from going bad during the period of non-use. Set it to 2S and set it at a rate of 1.0. You want to discharge a battery at a much slower rate than what you charge it at, hence why 1.0 is recommended.

4.- Set this rate to 1.0. You will only use this discharge feature if you are going to be throwing away the battery but you need to discharge it prior to disposal, or if for some reason you have overcharged the battery and need to bring it back down to normal levels.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

And by the way, have you purchased a lipo-safe bag yet? If not, buy one. It could save your home.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Better yet, buy LiFe's.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Good chargers will ramp up then trickle down. I used to charge at 10 amps with my charger. Every lipo I had went on the same setting. No matter how big or small. Of course they were never left alone. Also the lipo's were in a explosion sack. I have since come to a couple of thought's about my treatment of lipo's.
Lithium polymer battery's can handle high amp rate charging. As long as your charger is in good working order. But they will start to "PUFF" or fail earlier than if you charged at 1C. Could be a couple of years before they do expire though. Also it often seems only one of the cells will poop out on you. Not the whole pack. This could lead to DANGER while charging fast if not being balanced.
I have also noted that the chargers will sometimes over charge one cell trying to compensate for a weak cell. This could potentially create a EXPLOSION. That being said I've never had a lipo blow up on me. Even ones that were puffed (I know I've been to lucky).
It seems to come down to what you want. A pack to last longer or just get used up faster.They'll take high charging for a while. But it'll cost in useful life expectancy.
I have grown tired of tossing packs away. I now charge at the usual recommended amp rate of 1C. Its really not that much time being saved. With high amp charging anyways. Shoot a 5000mah pack at 5amps (1C) charges plenty fast enough.
I also now only balance charge and in a lipo sack. After seeing the same pack. Have different cell voltage's while charging.
You can never be to safe. I would hate to burn down my house. Just because I wanted to go bashing a little quicker.
Lol sorry for the long winded "comment". Just my take on these little power house nukes. Happy RC'n .

Last edited by uplate; 09-01-2010 at 08:36 PM.
uplate is offline   Reply With Quote