Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Ok crazy lipo battery question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Ok crazy lipo battery question

I traded a guy on here a losi 2s 1000mah battery that I was running on my mini moonbuggy for some 3s 1300mah batteries. I had no issue with the battery and used it the day before I shipped it to him. I even put a store charge on it right before I packaged it. He got the battery on Fri or Sat and on Tues he sent me a pm saying it would not work that nothing even happens when he plugs it in. He has charged it and it shows it is charged even checked it on one of his friends chargers to make sure but still nothing. He said he can plug another battery in and it works fine. Any ideas as to what the deal is. It worked fine when it left me it shows to charge and be charged it is not puffed and he is running a novak esc which is a 2s esc. I am lost I have never ran into this issue.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #2

Check for broken wires or bad plug, if the battery toke a hard hit icould have damaged it self in side Maybe. thats all i know
Good Luck
teamaluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamaluminum View Post
Check for broken wires or bad plug, if the battery toke a hard hit icould have damaged it self in side Maybe. thats all i know
Good Luck
I was thinking that myself but in that case it shouldn't charge correctly. At least if I understood correctly the guys friend has a Hyperion charger like mine the eos0606i it uses the balance lead and the battery lead to charge and balance. That is what has me lost on it.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

worth a shot, double chech with a balancer to see if both cells have a charge.
maybe a connection to one of the cells got damaged and the other is fine.

this may be the cause as to why it can register as charging but not have enough voltage to power the esc...

its out there but its worth a try.

side note-
had a buddy solder deans connector incorectly to the esc, similar symptoms... who knows!

the fact that it shows a full charge on a charger is very strange. plug it into a balancer and tell him to give you individual cell readings.
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

See if he can try it on/with another ESC. When he charges it, is he connecting just the main connector or the balance tap too?
Check it with a voltmeter to assure actual "charged" voltage.

Stupid suggestion, make sure battery/ESC plugs are polarized the same.

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 09-01-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The 3S that he traded, was he using them with the same RC? If his ESC is set for a 3S lipo, puting a 2S lipo on it will do the same thing!
prophetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetz View Post
The 3S that he traded, was he using them with the same RC? If his ESC is set for a 3S lipo, puting a 2S lipo on it will do the same thing!
As far as I know he was using the 3s on it the same crawler. I sent him a link to this hoping he would give some info. I do know one of the 3s batteries I got from him is swelled up and he said they were not but a couple of months old. I am not sure why it would be so swelled so fast unless something isn't right somewhere or I guess it could have taken a hard hit or something. Not sure if that could be related to the same problem or not.

Last edited by craddock35; 09-01-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i used these bateries once with my crawler on a different esc and smoked it. i got this rooster but i cant use 3s on it so thats why i traded.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post
As far as I know he was using the 3s on it the same crawler. I sent him a link to this hoping he would give some info. I do know one of the 3s batteries I got from him is swelled up and he said they were not but a couple of months old. I am not sure why it would be so swelled so fast unless something isn't right somewhere or I guess it could have taken a hard hit or something. Not sure if that could be related to the same problem or not.
the reason one is swelled is becuase i used one battery(the puffed one) in my sprint 2 flux, but the esc was programmend on a non lipo setting. i didnt puff that one on my crawler.

the batteries i sent are only a few weeks old. one is brand new never charged, the puffed one was used once(then puffed), another has two charges on it.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
RCC Addict

i took the battery out of the package and tried using it on my crawler, and nothing. no lights on the rooster came on, no movement, just nothing. i thought mabe the battery was dead so i told my friend trever to charge it becuase his charger is way better than mine but he said his charger read charged and wouldnt balance it or anything. so i tried using it again and nothing. i even tried using my charger but it said it was charged and balanced, and it still doesnt work.

i plan on going to my LHS on friday(mabe) to see what they say.

EDIT:i used another losi 2s 1300 mah that i have right after and it worked fine.

Last edited by shelby; 09-01-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby View Post
the reason one is swelled is becuase i used one battery(the puffed one) in my sprint 2 flux, but the esc was programmend on a non lipo setting. i didnt puff that one on my crawler.

the batteries i sent are only a few weeks old. one is brand new never charged, the puffed one was used once(then puffed), another has two charges on it.

Ok I can see that. I was waiting for you to say something. Maybe somebody knows. So far it has been the same things I have thought of. What charger does your friend have?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post
Ok I can see that. I was waiting for you to say something. Maybe somebody knows. So far it has been the same things I have thought of. What charger does your friend have?
Ummmm, i think he said a BC6 or something like that.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I have a lipo that i have to halfway disconnect before it works....! WITH DEANS plugs even!!! goofy shot but try it...
bquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ummmm, i think he said a BC6 or something like that.
Ok I think I know which one that is and if I am thinking correct it will tell you the voltage of each cell. Just curious to know what it says.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
Suck it up!

If you don't have a volt meter, take $10 and get one.

Check voltage at the plug, and at the balance tap. Could be a wire has pulled loose.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
If you don't have a volt meter, take $10 and get one.

Check voltage at the plug, and at the balance tap. Could be a wire has pulled loose.
Ill go down to hobby shop and they will check it and tell me whats up for it for free.

Is it possible since you said that you used it before you sent it, that it was damaged in the shipping process.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ill go down to hobby shop and they will check it and tell me whats up for it for free.

Is it possible since you said that you used it before you sent it, that it was damaged in the shipping process.
I guess it is possible but I wouldn't think so.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:45 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquin View Post
I have a lipo that i have to halfway disconnect before it works....! WITH DEANS plugs even!!! goofy shot but try it...
I've also seen this with Deans. They can get dirty inside. Even a little bit of filth or condensation will cause this problem. I take a small micro flat head screwdriver and scrape the connectors. Easy fix to do .This happens alot with my hydroplane lipos. It's like a corroded 12v terminal on an auto battery.
uplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Ok I think I have it figured out. I talked to a guy that has been doing this for about 35 years and he said that losi puts a circuit protection in the batteries that keeps them from being overloaded and keeps them from being drained to much. Kinda a low voltage shut off but it also keeps it from having to much of a load pulled from the battery. Which this will keep them from working with certain esc's such as the Novak rooster. Not sure how accurate this is but it make sense to me considering the what is happening with the battery.