Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 55T to 35T ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 55T to 35T ??

Hello, In the process of building a berg crawler, currently I have 55t's on nimh batteries, the plan is to eventually go to 2s lipo (Rooster esc) or possibly upgrade esc and go 3s. I would like more wheel speed, question is should I jump as much to the 35t's or stick with 45T's. When I eventually go Lipo will the 35's be too much not giving enough down low? also will the lower turn count be harder on the electronics? I don't comp, just backyard stuff so if I have to sacrifice a little performance for bulletproof reliability I would.

Thanks
tigman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I run 35T on 3s (13t(f) 12t(r)) on my Berg. Plenty of torque and lots of wheel speed. Wheel speed gets me out of more stuff than monster torque.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktbone View Post
... Wheel speed gets me out of more stuff than monster torque.
He's right. I honestly don't believe that 55t motors have more torque than 35t motors. From my experience, the 55 is just a weaker motor all around.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
He's right. I honestly don't believe that 55t motors have more torque than 35t motors. From my experience, the 55 is just a weaker motor all around.
x2 . I have come to the conclusion that most 55 turn motors suck . I have tested both in several situations and the 35 has more starting torque . The 55s do ok , but they seem to stall more when Im trying to take off with the tires in a slight bind .
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

35t motors do make more torque and power than 45 and 55t motors, when comparing them on the same voltage. A 45 or 55 could always be volted up to act the same as the 35t however.

35t and 45t motors have become the most popular lately.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

On 2s go 35s for sure! I've got 40s on 3s and could use more!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
On 2s go 35s for sure! I've got 40s on 3s and could use more!
Be a man, 30's on 3s
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigman250 View Post
Hello, In the process of building a berg crawler, currently I have 55t's on nimh batteries, the plan is to eventually go to 2s lipo (Rooster esc) or possibly upgrade esc and go 3s. I would like more wheel speed, question is should I jump as much to the 35t's or stick with 45T's. When I eventually go Lipo will the 35's be too much not giving enough down low? also will the lower turn count be harder on the electronics? I don't comp, just backyard stuff so if I have to sacrifice a little performance for bulletproof reliability I would.

Thanks
45t
Sounds to me that your not going to be competing,and so more than likely wont be wanting to be spending money on additional parts.
or the down time replacing them.

55t will do most anything you want.I ran 55t all season,ran 35t at our state finals.only a few times all season did the 55t's hold me back.for me it was a big deal as I'm competing.the jump isnt to much at once I dont think.
but I can tell now why people break parts with 35's. the power is intoxicating.
I say if you would rather have reliablilty than power. then a 45t may be your best bet.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

go with 45t's and when your ready to upgrade your esc pick up a holmes and then you can run them on 2,3,or 4s.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thanks everyone! While I'm at it and it was mentioned not asked, what is your opinion on 2s vs 3s, I realise the 3s is what most pros are running but for me would mean an upgrade of ESC. will I see a huge diffrence between the two, does it cost much more to go 3s battery/charger wise? A friend is also building a Berg and will likely go 3s because he is choosing the parts as he builds, I already have the Rooster wich is limited to 2s, if he's running 3s and me 2s are the rigs going to be night and day diffrent?

Thanks again everyone!
tigman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
dnf

Quote:

Thanks
I missed that the 1st time.

You REALLY want to go lipo. I was hard headed,didnt want to make the switch. Everybody in the club tried to tell me. Listen,they are cheap,easy to maintain,light and you got to love the power........ 3s for me.
the main thing is weight though,stick packs just suck,lipos come in various sizes. so you can easily find a spot low on the chassis to mount them.
Lipo's are deffinatly the way to go.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
dnf

Quote:
Thanks everyone! While I'm at it and it was mentioned not asked, what is your opinion on 2s vs 3s, I realise the 3s is what most pros are running but for me would mean an upgrade of ESC. will I see a huge diffrence between the two, does it cost much more to go 3s battery/charger wise? A friend is also building a Berg and will likely go 3s because he is choosing the parts as he builds, I already have the Rooster wich is limited to 2s, if he's running 3s and me 2s are the rigs going to be night and day diffrent?

Thanks again everyone!
like holmes said,you can add voltage to make a 55t act more like a 35t
thats the difference. 3s gives you more voltage,and there is a HUGE difference. charger wont make a difference, and price wise isnt much of a difference either. Lipo's are very reasonable in price for the lower mHa ratings we use in crawling.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Thanks again everyone!
yes 3s lipo has alot more power output then 2s. you would be supprised what that little extra will do. I went from 7.2nimh to 9.6nimh to 3s lipo and each jump made a big difference. The only thing I run 2s in now is my mini crawler and I might be going 3s in it as well.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

most chargers on the market that charge lipo with do up to at least 4s if not 6s, so as long as it will charge lipo you should be fine.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

3s is a third more power! So, yeah, ya will notice a pretty big difference! 3s batteries aren't much more expensive and the chargers are the same.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #16
PapaGriz Yo

3S is a gateway drug to 4S and 6S....
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote