Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 2 rx's, 1 truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 2 rx's, 1 truck?

I use the DX3R for all my rc's, nice lil radio. But sometimes I'd like to be able to let a friend drive one of my rigs using my Hitec 3D. Is there a simple way to have both rx's mounted in the truck and be able to switch them (short of plugging/unplugging each time). Is there an effective way to wire them up with switches to flipflop which rx is in control? Any suggestions?
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I guess ya could get a 6+ pole double throw switch (ya really only need a 4 pole for 2 channels) and wire all the receiver wires through it.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
I guess ya could get a 6+ pole double throw switch (ya really only need a 4 pole for 2 channels) and wire all the receiver wires through it.
You'd still have to calibrate the ESC to the new radio. Why not have a stock Losi 2.4, take the 2.5 minutes to rebind and recal and you are in business?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Or just let him use your radio.....If you are that worried about it maybe he shouldn't be driving it at all!
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
RCC Addict

You missed the point. I want to be able to drive WITH them. If I give them my radio (which all my rigs are on) what would I drive, and how?

So if I have this right, I would need to be able to switch both the servo and esc cables from rx "A" to rx "B" to do what I want it to do? Would I just need to switch the signal and positive wires?
Old 09-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I think what you/he are/is looking for is a "buddy box" feature as used on model aircraft radios.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

no, he means say he has two rcs. A scx10 jeep and a scx10 honcho. He wants his buddy to drive the honcho, and he wants to drive the jeep. But he cant if his buddy is driving the honcho because he only has one radio.
traxxas4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I want to set up one of my trucks to run with 2 selectable onboard recievers. Spektrum (like all my others) and FM when its a loaner for a friend to drive. I hope this clears up the confusion.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You want to be able to switch radios on the fly... But, more than likely, you'll still need to reprogram the ESC each time you throw that switch...

When I go out camping I take my DX3R and I take a stock Losi TX for this very reason. If a friend wants to drive a truck I have bound to my DX3R, and I using the DX3R for another truck (like my AX10 and MRC), I just rebind and recal the truck he wants to run to the Losi radio and now we are both driving... Like I said, it takes about 2.5 minutes, about about 1.5 minutes of that is getting the body off and back on...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I understand now.

Maybe you could help him find a nice used crawler (or scaler) so he can have his own? I mean driving someone elses rig is like going fishing with their rod and reel!
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote