Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futaba 3PK Radio w/ Fasst System

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Futaba 3PK Radio w/ Fasst System

Ok i'm looking for opinions good or bad, im running 2 esc's in my bully and dont want change that. 1 esc with punk dig in another MOA. My bully has a moded dx6 and i cant get use to it. And the other one has a moded dx3. I like it. So the Futaba 3PK Radio w/ Fasst System seems to have everthing i need. Lipo,mixing and what not . Tell me what you like or dont like about the system. Thanks
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I don't think you will be able to run independent front / rear motors on the 3PKS because the 3rd channel is an on the fly on / off - at least that is how my rear wheel steer (non-crawler trucks) are set up.

It's a fantastic radio for anything that needs 3 channels total.
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Look at the 4pk thread. It explains how to run dual esc on 3 channels with the 4pk. The 3pk works exactly the same! All the futaba radios have more features than spekturn imho. The only problem with the futaba radios is the receivers are bigger (there is a new little one) and more expensive than spekturn.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I'll have to check out the 4PK thread then.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Instead of making more threads, I'll keep my questions in here...

I seen a video where the guy had 4ws (mix, crab crawl and independent rear steer)

Skip to about 1:25 --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uppq...eature=related

I would like to do all of that at the same time and be able to use dual esc.

Is it possible?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I just found my answer by looking that this diagram from the 4pk thread...

Wiring Diagram For The Ultimate 4PK setup for 2.2 MOA's <---This needs to be updated for the newest RECOMMEDED setup. The Front ESC is now in Channel 2 and the rear ESC is in CH3. The 4th Channel can be used for the BEC or another accessory.

With only 3 channels, I can either have dual servos or dual esc's but not both.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhair View Post
With only 3 channels, I can either have dual servos or dual esc's but not both.
Exactly! Even with the 4pk ya are limited with dual esc/dual steer because there are only two mixes (really need 4). Much better with sticks imho.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Looks like a 6+ channel radio is in my not so near future...

Knowing the Law of Murphy, I could buy a 14 Channel radio and need a 15 Channel one the day after I am able to return / exchange it
Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
Exactly! Even with the 4pk ya are limited with dual esc/dual steer because there are only two mixes (really need 4). Much better with sticks imho.
Are you saying you like a stick tx better or that the mixing is better than the 3pk? Im not going to run 4ws. I dont see alot of guys useing the 3pk just wondering why? Cost or design?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I'm running the 3PK because I already had it. I was running touring cars for a few months and wanted a very capable radio, but didn't need to go overboard on a 4pk.

The 3PKs can be found MUCH cheaper than the 4PKs if you don't mind buying used. The 3PK can run a spektrum module too so you can get the little tiny receivers that they spektrum runs.

The 3PK is a little big and bulky but what are we, a bunch of big pu$$ies that cant hold a radio for 5 minutes at a time.

I like it, its a good radio and has all the features that I could wish for to run my berg. I've got mine set up on Dual FXR's and it works exactly the same as the 4pk. Only downside is that if I decide to get a XR10, and actually use the cutting brake, I'll need to upgrade to the 4PK
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Thanks J thats the kinda info i was looking for. Makes me wonder why alot of the guys lov a 3r so much. I like runing 2 esc's because of the control and more function. I'm not conserned about the size just wanting a qaulity Tx. I cant get the hang of the DX6.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

No prob man!

I get so tired of people talking about how they don't like the Futaba's because of their size and weight and stuff.

I've seen more spektrums lose bind than any other radio out there. The Futabas are heavier, but who cares. The Spektrum is light and whatever but seriously guys. Who can't hold a radio for 5 minutes.
(whew, glad that run is over, now I can put down this heavy ass radio!) LOL!!

The Futaba 3PK will blow the DX3R out of the water in any "REAL" comparison.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
No prob man!

I get so tired of people talking about how they don't like the Futaba's because of their size and weight and stuff.

I've seen more spektrums lose bind than any other radio out there. The Futabas are heavier, but who cares. The Spektrum is light and whatever but seriously guys. Who can't hold a radio for 5 minutes.
(whew, glad that run is over, now I can put down this heavy ass radio!) LOL!!

The Futaba 3PK will blow the DX3R out of the water in any "REAL" comparison.
X100000!!! I really don't get the big hard on everyone has for the dx3r?? Ask a boat guy if they would run one!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

My favorite feature on the 3pk is the push button on the grip. It works as a momentary switch for the front dig. What I mean is you push it with your middle finger and your in front dig as long as you hold it down. When you let the button out you're back in 4wd. Being able to pop in and out of dig practically instantaneously, without changing my hand positions, has helped me a lot. I tried a DX6i but using a toggle switch to get in and out of dig was hard for me.

Also using the steering wheel for the rear dig isn't as hard as it sounds once you try it.
MystRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

What do you mean setting the dig with the wheel? I also thought reaching for the the toggle on the dx6 was weird.Thanks guys for the help ill be buying one by the weekend

Last edited by hardhead; 09-08-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I have both radios. Both have there pro's and cons. The futaba 3PKS is an awesome radio. I'm running 2 FXR's with mine. The only thing I don't like about the 3PKS running dual FXR's is the buttons. I can not get used to hitting separate buttons to engage the front and rear dig then have to hit the same button to disengage. The one thing I do like better about the DX3R is the button layout one the grip. If Novak ever comes out with their M2 ESC I will probably use the DX3R and sell the 3PKS. I'm not holding my breath though! Wish there was a way to map a 3 POS switch on the 3PKS with the mixing. I would be happy then!

Also the 3PKS does not require the use of the steering wheel being turned to engage anything. The 3PK does!

Last edited by prophetz; 09-08-2010 at 09:08 PM.
prophetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetz View Post
I have both radios. Both have there pro's and cons. The futaba 3PKS is an awesome radio. I'm running 2 FXR's with mine. The only thing I don't like about the 3PKS running dual FXR's is the buttons. I can not get used to hitting separate buttons to engage the front and rear dig then have to hit the same button to disengage. The one thing I do like better about the DX3R is the button layout one the grip. If Novak ever comes out with their M2 ESC I will probably use the DX3R and sell the 3PKS. I'm not holding my breath though! Wish there was a way to map a 3 POS switch on the 3PKS with the mixing. I would be happy then!

Also the 3PKS does not require the use of the steering wheel being turned to engage anything. The 3PK does!
Ill agree with you on the button thing. I tend to get lost in the radio occasionally. Unfortunately there is no way to set up mixing using the 3position trim setting. I've asked harley and ther is just no way to do it. I was used to my 3 position switch when using my dig switch, but after going dual esc, I had to change it up. The 4pk has the same problem too. 2 buttons need to be toggled to contol front and rear motors.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
X100000!!! I really don't get the big hard on everyone has for the dx3r?? Ask a boat guy if they would run one!

Wouldn't you be able to run a boat on any 2 or 3 channel radio?

Or is it because of all the extra features in the 3PK(S) that makes it much better? Sort of like 4 channels is better than 3 channels on a crawler.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:07 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

So there's a difference in the 3pk and 3pks? I assume the sport is a better tx?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:31 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

From Futaba:

Quote:

The 3PK Super has all of these upgrades...
  • Redesigned Keypad — with a large, easy-to-use jog button. This one button moves the cursor left, right, up or down; pushing the button in then accesses the function.
  • Vibrating Alert System — useful for monitoring battery levels, indicating Power On and Timer Up, as well as lap navigation
  • Expanded Driver Menu — featuring three levels and a "Big" menu especially for drivers of 1/5 scale and larger vehicles.
  • Throttle Mode Select — for choosing from two servo neutral points: 70/30, which offers more acceleration and less brake for nitro modelers, or the equal acceleration/brake 50/50 mode for electrics.
  • Double the Model Memory — up to 20 models, while still being compatible with the CAMPac module that can add another 10 models.
The main screen provides a wealth of information instantly: voltage levels; hours and minutes the radio has been on; model name; whether you're in High-Response or standard FM/PCM mode; dual rate settings; throttle ATM; steering and throttle trim settings, and more.