Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX6i help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default DX6i help

Ok guys i need a little help. im getting a XR10 to review for Radio Race Car UK and i cant afford to go out and buy a 4pks so im thinking of using a DX6i instead as they are cheaper can i still do all the mixing with it that is done with the 4PKS?
English Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Since the XR10 is being sent to you to do a review on, ask them if they have a 4PKS that they can loan you.

Worth a shot.
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

There is no chance of that for one its a different distributor and two the cost of it.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

you will definitely be able to use the dx6i, are you going to run dual escs or a single with a dig? either way the radio will work. there's a lot of good info in the super class forum for dual escs. and some other info I can PM you if you are going to go the dig route.
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

im going to go twin esc route so i can over drive the front
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

then check out the "twin stick tech" thread in the super class forum, it has pretty much everything you need to set up each stick independently.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i didnt really want to go independent sticks as i dont think my brain could take that
Old 09-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Default Throttle Mixing

You can use a mix to put both speed controllers on the throttle stick. Then do front and rear mixing with the rudder. The right stick is then used for steering only. This works pretty well in my setup. The only thing you will need to do aside from program the mix is put a center return spring on the throttle stick. This will bring the truck to a stop when you let go of the controller.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

and in that thread there is info about mixing both throttles to one channel as well...
Old 09-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I'm running a dx6 on my bully. I have dual esc's. I have the throttle mixed and turn the rear off with one of the switches for front dig. I have the rear motor on the L stick. That allows me to run "Normal" throttle/steering or I can run the rear independent of the front. I can do a front and rear dig at the same time. 4th stickey down in the electronics section has a thing on the dx6 to give you some ideas.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Twin Stick Tech
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I have a DX6i but I dont think it offers " On the fly mixing " ?
dont know what a XR10 is and what your wanting it to do.
Not sure exactly what your question is.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

the main things im wanting to do is be able to drive both motors of the left stick but then be able to reduce the drive to the rear for steep climbs and also be able to dig either the front or rear. but i dont want to have to use the right stick for anything other than steering and the left for throttle just use the switchs to either dig or reduce drive to rear. Is this getting to complicated for sticks am i better off just getting the 4PK
Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

No not all that complicated. My setup with my 2.2 berg is

Left stick up/down - Both motors combined
Left stick side/side - rear steer
Right stick - up - front axle overdrive for front digs and steep climbs (overrides the left stick as a master channel on front axle only)
Right stick - front steer.

I'm also using a switch to be able to have both motors independantly powered off each stick for front and rear digs.

Works very well for me, maybe not for some but everyone is differant.

Feel free to ask about controller settings
1tuff40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

If the DX6I is like my DX6 then you can mix in dual rate settings on one channel. I.E. you can have the rear motor at 100% with one of the switches on and say 75% with the switch off. You have 4 switches to choose from. With that you could set switch 1 F&R mix switch 2 Front only switch 3 Rear only switch 4 Rear at 75% throttle (or what ever percent you choose). Another option, and a seemingly more common one is... L stick mix both F&R with the mixing switch on, front dig with the mixing switch off. The R stick will control the steering and the rear motor for rear dig. This allows you to run front dig and slowly power up the rear motor as you may need it, like what you want to do with slowing down the rear esc. This allows you to have an adjustable throttle input as apposed to a fixed one. The down side is you will have to use the rear stick. It takes some practice but it is not to hard. You can do it the way you are proposing, but I question weather you have the results you want. One way to find out tho... Give it a try. You can always change it if you don't like it. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Thanks thats what i wanted to hear your setup sounds good to me will have to get hold of one know then
Old 09-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Don't forget the throttle stick will need a spring put in to self center it, like the other guys said. Good luck.