Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 3Racing Winch Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 3Racing Winch Problem

So, I got it with my Honcho kit but got sidetracked with life and am just now getting it put in. When I hook it up and press either the button on the control board or from my remote...it winds out and immediately winds back in. I cannot get it to stay out.

Anyone else had a similar issue or have any thoughts?

Do I need to contact 3Racing or RPP?
fiveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

What Tx are you using?
Is the 3rd channel 2 or 3 positions?
Is the trim on the 3rd channel centered?

If its only a two position switch it will constantly wind.
rhett314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Ya try unplugging it from the reciever and then operate it from the button. It will probably work than,meaning it is how your remote is set up.

If you are using a Traxxas 3 channel or at least from the thumb rocker it is only set as a 2 pos switch.

Jason
jhghah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhghah View Post
If you are using a Traxxas 3 channel or at least from the thumb rocker it is only set as a 2 pos switch.

Jason

Jason is right! It matters how many channels do you have and what pos they can be.

A 2 pos switch will just run out and back no middle .
h2oboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:45 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm about to buy one of these winches too. I have a DX3S which, I think, only has a on/off 2 way switch for the 3rd channel. Does that mean you just have to manually flick the switch again when you want the winding to stop? Hit the switch the 3rd time - will it wind back in, or continue winding out to the maximum length??
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
I'm about to buy one of these winches too. I have a DX3S which, I think, only has a on/off 2 way switch for the 3rd channel. Does that mean you just have to manually flick the switch again when you want the winding to stop? Hit the switch the 3rd time - will it wind back in, or continue winding out to the maximum length??
if you connect a 2 pos switch to a servo, one way is all left and one is all right, there is no center position. So on a winch it will go one direction or the other, never stop. Need a true 3 pos switch with a left, center, right for it to work properly.
JohnDoeGeneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
cherry bomb

the motor isn't smart, it wont stop once your line is completly out, what it sounds like is happening is its unwinding, then rewinding on the drum in the oposite direction, once your line is out, PRESS the button again to stop, then press it again to wind back up.

all in the instructions man. RTFM

I have yet to try mine on my 3rd channel, but works just as instructed off of the button.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
With 2 pos. one direction of the switch it goes out and never stops. The other direction of the switch it goes in and never stops. So no that will not work.

However you can search for the servo control option. It takes up room but works quite well. You use a micro servo to push the button on the controller the winch comes with.It works like on/off lets the line out on/off stops the winch on/off spools the line back in on/off stops the winch savy

Jason
jhghah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhghah View Post
With 2 pos. one direction of the switch it goes out and never stops. The other direction of the switch it goes in and never stops. So no that will not work.

However you can search for the servo control option. It takes up room but works quite well. You use a micro servo to push the button on the controller the winch comes with.It works like on/off lets the line out on/off stops the winch on/off spools the line back in on/off stops the winch savy

Jason
I never thought of that, 2 positions in/out only makes alot of sence, I like the servo idea for the button, I may do that if I cant figure out the 3rd chan, on my radio, its a 5 pos. so I see no real issues, good luck to the OP, and sorry for the missunderstanding.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
cherry bomb

I just hooked my winch up for a bench test and totaly understand your issue, this will not work with a 2 pos. 3rd chan. :( maybe there is a work around but from bench testing atleast 3 pos. seems to be needed.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

hey, i have a different winch problem question. I turned my scaler on today and my winch worked fine last outing and now it only responds one way. I can reel it in but it will not reel out. I even tried reversing the aux on my radio and it still only turns one way.
anyone have any ideas for why this is happening and can it be fixed?
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
the motor isn't smart, it wont stop once your line is completly out, what it sounds like is happening is its unwinding, then rewinding on the drum in the oposite direction, once your line is out, PRESS the button again to stop, then press it again to wind back up.

all in the instructions man. RTFM

I have yet to try mine on my 3rd channel, but works just as instructed off of the button.
Thanks for a seamingly smart ass response. You just explained exactly what I put in my original question. Oh, and I did RTFM.

Now back to the serious responses. Thanks to everyone who weighed in, I am using the Spektrum DX3S, so based on your answers it appears that is the problem.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #13
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
Thanks for a seamingly smart ass response. You just explained exactly what I put in my original question. Oh, and I did RTFM.

Now back to the serious responses. Thanks to everyone who weighed in, I am using the Spektrum DX3S, so based on your answers it appears that is the problem.
thanks for reading the entire thread, maybe you missed the part where I appologised and even went out of my way to bench test this setup.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
thanks for reading the entire thread, maybe you missed the part where I appologised and even went out of my way to bench test this setup.

Then my apology right back at you. Multi-tasking and to be honest after I got to your first thread I didn't read your later ones.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
Then my apology right back at you. Multi-tasking and to be honest after I got to your first thread I didn't read your later ones.

I re-read your question and it says it wont stay out when you used the button on the 3 racing board either? try unplugging the signal wire from the 3rd chan. spot on the reciever and trying it again, with no way of outside interfierance.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

what 3 channel controller would you guys recommend using, so that the winch does work correctly on the 3rd channel ?
mar618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar618 View Post
what 3 channel controller would you guys recommend using, so that the winch does work correctly on the 3rd channel ?

you can use a Traxxas TQ remote...

and somewhere in here ther's a how to on modding it for a 3 position switch

here's page 15...as it uses the already existing red switch on a TQ3 to turn it in to a 3 position...

My Modded TQ3 Update - Added EPA pots
Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

thanks,i mite give that a try myself
mar618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I've got to say don't waste your time if you want to actually use the winch. Just do a servo winch. These little 3racing winches just have no power
BBCorvette18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #20

the RC4WD Bulldog winch has a better pull rate and offers a wireless remote control. It also has a plastic coated steel cable and king Kong hook. I feel it's well worth the little extra $ over the 3 Racing winch.
oxman283 is offline   Reply With Quote