Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: fxr vs rooster crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default fxr vs rooster crawler

I am stuck between the two. hoping you guys and gals could give some advice on which way to go with it. I am running a stock scx10 and looking for a 55t motor. both ESC's come in a bundle for around $120.. I have ran novak in the past.

tekin fxr

or

novak rooster crawler....

thanks in advance.
drift_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

You'll get fans of both. (Haters too if you're lucky)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift_this View Post
I am stuck between the two.
Where/what is it that you're having difficulty deciding?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have a Rooster and have had no problems at all. But, it is only rated to 2S, that is why I'm looking at getting the FXR, plus the FXR has a much smaller footprint.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've ran Novak in the past and didn't have any troubles. I ran a FXR in my shafty for over a year until I got rid of it last week and didn't have a single issue with it. If you're only going to run 2s and space isn't an issue the Rooster would be fine. If you want to run 3s and want something with a small footprint your choice is easy.
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I have a Rooster and have had no problems at all. But, it is only rated to 2S, that is why I'm looking at getting the FXR, plus the FXR has a much smaller footprint.

smaller footprint sounds good! you can run a 3s on the fxr? I will be looking for an fxr now. 3s power!

Last edited by drift_this; 09-12-2010 at 03:46 PM.
drift_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I've run both, and have the FX-R now. I don't think you can even compare them. The FX-R is just on a whole different level with the tuning and all. Being 3S capable is enough in itself. I will never run 2S again.
NOMERCY!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I, too, was torn between a fx-r or a rooster for my Axial SCX10. I ultimately decided for the fx-r because I heard that the rooster is geared towards noobs since it doesn't have adjsustable settngs like the fx-r. I'm a noob myself, but it's nice to have those programming options for later on when I get more experience under my belt in this awesome hobby. And Plus, Kaetwo's "Tekin FX-R review" thread completely sold me on it. I plan on running a 3s lipo with my 45t motor when I get the cash for a battery and charger. I'm running a 7.2v nimh for now.
Serolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I run a Rooster on 3S, solid and trouble free. I've also driven an FX-R and learned a bit about it. Given that they're about the same price, and the Tekin is smaller, lighter and adjustable, it's a no-brainer..... FX-R!

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Space for electrics is always an issue when it comes to any RC.

Go with the smaller one because you never know what new RC you may use it for later.
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

wow there is some great info in here was looking at the navak rooster but now leaning toward the FX-R setup instead thanks guys for the info
9700trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have had problems with every single novak ESC I have owned. The FXR in my scx10 has been trouble free for two years now. Running 3s with an axial 27t. Only reason I stopped using it was to have more options which is why I went sidewinder sv2. It is larger but I can run more powerful motors on it as well as brushless.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

ohya that would give you alot more tuning options then being able to run many different motors and power options
Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

after reading this thead and many others on other sites the tekin FXR crawler system sounds like a good system and the best bang for my buck
Old 07-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #14

My rooster crawler has also been on 3s for 6 months with no issues. 4s it gets hot quick, like in 10 seconds.
Tried it on 2s the otherday just to remember what it was like, it jittered wouldnt start the motor smoothly at all, back to 3s and its fine again....
well see how long it lasts on 4s....
I need a fxr!
maxxflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

It has been said before, but i'll say it again- Tekin FXR. 3s capable and has a smaller footprint. Enough said.
Mides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerBrad View Post
....I ran a FXR in my shafty for over a year until I got rid of it last week and didn't have a single issue with it. If you're only going to run 2s and space isn't an issue the Rooster would be fine. If you want to run 3s and want something with a small footprint your choice is easy.
I've had both....my Rooster died long time ago and was unimpressive before it died. Go with the Tekin FXR...love mine and it is small, light and easy to setup/adjust!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

unfortunately im not edumacated enough on the brushed stuff.... But i gotta' say on my Losi CC running the ballistic brushless motor, the mamba max pro 1 cell is simply AWESOME! No glitching, smooth, reliable and very tunable... oh yea, did i mention it can handle up to 6S?!!!
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
unfortunately im not edumacated enough on the brushed stuff.... But i gotta' say on my Losi CC running the ballistic brushless motor, the mamba max pro 1 cell is simply AWESOME! No glitching, smooth, reliable and very tunable... oh yea, did i mention it can handle up to 6S?!!!
Night and day, bl on LCC (worm gear axles) is fine, but regular crawlers it does not work nearly as well. Brushed motors are king and cheaper.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
the mamba max pro 1 cell is simply AWESOME! No glitching, smooth, reliable and very tunable... oh yea, did i mention it can handle up to 6S?!!!
Running 6S on a MM Pro 1S??!!
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Running 6S on a MM Pro 1S??!!
The 1S is identical in specs to the Pro but without the BEC and fan so it has a lower profile to fit in 1/12 scale pan cars. No internal BEC means you need either a RX pack, external BEC or booster to power the radio and servo.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote