Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4-wheel steering (BEC wiring)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Tossin' Salad

Default 4-wheel steering (BEC wiring)

So, I am running a BR-XL which has a pretty good internal BEC, however, it is rated at a lower voltage than what I want to run to my rear steering. I am running dual HS-7954SH servos, and want to run them at 7 volts. Check this diagram.

Question: is the 10A BEC acceptable for running two steering servos like this? Am I pushing it a bit?

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

im thinking why risk it for 20 bucks? are you soldering the wires from bec to servo or using a plug?
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
im thinking why risk it for 20 bucks? are you soldering the wires from bec to servo or using a plug?
They are being soldered.

It is not a question of risk. Worst case scenario is a bind "might" cause the setup to hang....I stress might.

EDIT: keep in mind, a BR-XL has a 6A internal BEC, IIRC, and is considered by many to be more than adequate for most applications (single servo).

Casey

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 09-13-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i asked about the soldering cuz i am hooking mine up tomorrow and didnt want to run to lhs for plugs. so i was gonna solder them. castle is local here in kc. not sure if they have 800 number. i gotta call them anyways to see how I send my bad bec back.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
i asked about the soldering cuz i am hooking mine up tomorrow and didnt want to run to lhs for plugs. so i was gonna solder them. castle is local here in kc. not sure if they have 800 number. i gotta call them anyways to see how I send my bad bec back.
Just make sure to program it "before" you install it. If you try to use the USB programmer while the BEC is wired, the USB port will actually power on your ESC.

Dont ask me how I know that.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

lol thinking thats how first one went bad. wouldnt hook up to castle link. no volts at plug with battery power. first crawler and first bec so I am learning.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

thats the same wiring im running, however i found it was very glitchy and i had to add a ground wire between the bec output and the receiver. that completely fixed the massive glitching i was having. i myself run plugs on everything. if i was to have a servo fail and someone had a spare i could swap it easy. if its soldered it means the day is over.

i cant find the specifics, however i remember reading that one of the hv servos would pull around 4.2 amps at stall, so you should be ok with one bec.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
thats the same wiring im running, however i found it was very glitchy and i had to add a ground wire between the bec output and the receiver. that completely fixed the massive glitching i was having. i myself run plugs on everything. if i was to have a servo fail and someone had a spare i could swap it easy. if its soldered it means the day is over.

i cant find the specifics, however i remember reading that one of the hv servos would pull around 4.2 amps at stall, so you should be ok with one bec.
Thanks for the info Sharkey.

Casey