Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What radio to start with

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What radio to start with

I have been into rc on and off for years. Wanting to start my way back in and stay in with the whole crawerl/scaler thing as it goes along good with camping hiking, and offroading. My question is I want to buy a radio with multi model memory and want to be able to do things like winches digs units and other neat mods. What type of radio should I get? Model brand? I always have been a JR and Futaba man and have used quite a few HiTec servos. Pistol or stick? Guide me members/friends. Getting my gf in on this stuff too!!

Thanks
Jeremy
treadway47025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I just ordered one of these from Tower this morning,
Futaba 3PL 3-Channel 2.4GHz FHSS w/R2004GF Receiver
3 proportional channels 1 switched channel.
hoping it is as good as all the other Futaba stuff I have.
500swmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadway47025 View Post
I have been into rc on and off for years. Wanting to start my way back in and stay in with the whole crawerl/scaler thing as it goes along good with camping hiking, and offroading. My question is I want to buy a radio with multi model memory and want to be able to do things like winches digs units and other neat mods. What type of radio should I get? Model brand? I always have been a JR and Futaba man and have used quite a few HiTec servos. Pistol or stick? Guide me members/friends. Getting my gf in on this stuff too!!

Thanks
Jeremy
My multi-function vote, would be a Dx6I.. if you can handle the sticks that is.. steering + throttle leaves you with 4 extra channels for winches, lights,
a shiftable tranny and still have rear steer if you wanted.. not many ways more to go pimp then that.

It also gives you 10 model memory, 4 AA batteries in the TX which you can easily carry spares and field charge on solar if you are in BFE.

~Kev
Darksiede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the responses. I will check into those units in my research. Anything else anyone wants to throw in on this topic is greatly appreciated as well
Old 09-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
thanks for the responses. I will check into those units in my research. Anything else anyone wants to throw in on this topic is greatly appreciated as well
i have a Airtronics M11 and love it, i have had it for many years it does everything that is needed for my scalers or my 8th scale stuff, its a great radio over all.!!!
brushlessemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I would also recommend a stick radio dx6/dx6i/6ex to start crawling. Opens up alot of options and starting with sticks ya won't fall into the "pistol trap". If ya really don't want sticks ya may want to wait for the 4pl if ya don't want to spring for a 4pk.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

the price on the spektrum brand radios isnt bad for the dx6 but jump over to futaba and woa! its like double.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

My advice is to buy what you need now. With new models and technology advancing all the time (and getting more affordable too!), it's pointless and a waste of money to buy a fancy system which you plan to use someday when you've installed that 4WS or winch or lights or whatever.

I would buy a decent 2.4ghz 3 channel and get on with it.
Maxx_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
the price on the spektrum brand radios isnt bad for the dx6 but jump over to futaba and woa! its like double.
The dx6 is dsm1 (fine for crawling). The dx6i (dsm2) and 6ex (ffast) are closer $. Ffast is better imho, but again, not needed crawling.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote