Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New on Lipos, how to no waste money in overpowered LIPOS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #1

Default New on Lipos, how to no waste money in overpowered LIPOS.

For sometime now, I have been doing some research in order to change from Nihm to Lipos. One of teh first things that I came across was the "C" rating on lipos and the max amps that they are able to deliver.

I want to buy a lipo but I don't want to waste money in a SUPER LIPO capable of deliver 250 amps.

My question is: If I have a Mamba Max ESC (which is only capable of 100 amps). Do I only need a lipo batery capable of deliver this amount of amps, maybe something a little bit higher over 100 amps? or Is there any advantage on having a Lipo batery able to deliver higher amps than the ESC will drain??.

Sorry for my english
raolguio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

There is no such thing as too much lipo. They only give what your motor takes. No more. Amp's is not something that a battery gives. It is a load that a battery can handle.

What are you looking for size wise? I perhaps, could recommend you a good battery at a good price.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #3

I got your point, but for example let's say there are two lipo bateries:
1- 2S lipo 5000 mah 30C --> 150 amps capable
2- 2S lipo 5000 mah 40C --> 200 amps capable

So, if I use the Mamba Max ESC that is just capable to handle 100 amps. is there any rel gain in use the 2° lipo batery of my example?? or this ESC is not capable to get the most out of that battery and thus, it will be a overpowered battery for this especific ESC.

I just want to know if there is any real gain (run time, top speed, etc...) in using a lipo batery that exceeds way over the max amps drain of the motor + ESC system, over a lipo batery that can handle a little bit more amps than the system requires.

Is the max amp drain determined by the ESC or the motor?
raolguio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The motor is the load and is what really will determin the the max load on the system. A spec that you rarely see listed on a motor is the stall current. This is the max Amp draw the motor will produce when it is at full stall. (highest drain)
The rating on the ESC is the highest safe continous draw. An ESC will normally handle twice the rating for a burst or peak rating. The C rating on the cells is usually the same. Safe constant draw. Agian they normally can handle a higher burst for a short time before damage will occure.

Most crawling motors have very low stall current ratings (20A or lower) so even a 2 motor system is never going to overpower a Mamba Max or 5000mah pack. This is why many crawlers use small 1500mah 25C-40C or lower packs without worry.

All in all a higher C rated pack could show a little more punch, but will have very little differance in run time or speed.
In a brushless racer setup where you are drawing near the rated current of a cheap pack, a high end pack will out perform the budget pack in top speed, run time and overall pack life.
ThunderVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderVP View Post
The motor is the load and is what really will determin the the max load on the system. A spec that you rarely see listed on a motor is the stall current. This is the max Amp draw the motor will produce when it is at full stall. (highest drain)
The rating on the ESC is the highest safe continous draw. An ESC will normally handle twice the rating for a burst or peak rating. The C rating on the cells is usually the same. Safe constant draw. Agian they normally can handle a higher burst for a short time before damage will occure.

Most crawling motors have very low stall current ratings (20A or lower) so even a 2 motor system is never going to overpower a Mamba Max or 5000mah pack. This is why many crawlers use small 1500mah 25C-40C or lower packs without worry.

All in all a higher C rated pack could show a little more punch, but will have very little differance in run time or speed.
In a brushless racer setup where you are drawing near the rated current of a cheap pack, a high end pack will out perform the budget pack in top speed, run time and overall pack life.
x2. In go fasters, you will notice it more. My saying has always been, the more you under use a pack, the better. This will result in higher voltage under load. That means more speed and power for your truck.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #6

Chris

I have done some research and I think in the end I have over complicated my Lipo search . I have three crawlers one is being set up as a scale , one has the goat system and the last one is a beater with a 27 t motor . I am buying a Hyperion Charger EOs06061 . I wont be using these trucks alot . Please give me your advice on what Lipo to buy . I am not looking to spend a mint
tzque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Got Worms?

this is a good battery, seems like a common size and if your esc can handle 3s this is most likely the best bang for you buck.

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?ap...360&bc_menuid=
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote