Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I need a step by step for Turning a 6 Cell stickpack into Saddlepacks.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default I need a step by step for Turning a 6 Cell stickpack into Saddlepacks.

I purchased a Axial RTC for my son yesterday. I picked up a Venom 4200 NMHI 7.2v Stick pack. I did not relize how big the pack was and it is even too big to run on the front axle. I would like to turn it into saddle packs rather than buy another battery. Anyways, Can someone give me a step by step of how to break it up and solder it in series correctly so it functions well and is safe? I have some basic skills as I can solder and handle wire but I have no idea how to wire 6 cells in series and where to put the positive and negative wires. I searched for a while last night but did not find anything helpfull. Please show pics or links to builds if possible.

Thanks.

Ted

Last edited by TedBull; 10-24-2010 at 05:25 PM.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sub-C's are gonna be pretty big on the front axle and it's more work than what it's worth unless you know what you're doing. Honestly, perhaps return the pack to the hobby shop and order up a 2/3 A pack(s) from Cheapbatterypacks.

I just looked and a 6 cell 2/3rd A setup made for the Axial front axle will run you $18 plus shipping.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Ok, thanks for the input. I already cut off the traxxis connector so I cant take it back. I guess I will use it as another starter battery for my nitro car. I heard that MAXAMPS make saddle packs, I have two of there Lipo's and they are great. They provide a ton of power and last a long time.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You can get venum 1500mah reciver packs and mod those into saddle. I did it back in the day, only got 28min. run time.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
You can get venum 1500mah reciver packs and mod those into saddle. I did it back in the day, only got 28min. run time.
I did not buy it with the intention of breaking it up and making a saddlepack. I should have just waited and ordered some saddlepacks from one of the reputable vendors. I am going to look around later and just buy a saddle pack or two and use the 6 cell stick on the top plate for now and then keep it as a extra starting battery.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
cherry bomb

when I turned a stick pack into a saddlepack I just cut the wrap off, and broke the spot welded "band" accross the bottom and soldered a 4-5" length of wire in place, the conector end needs no modding, the conector wires will do fine. and i'd zip tie the "tubes" on the underside of the stock body posts.

I added a bullet conector between the 2, makes installation and removal a bit easier.

Last edited by fred0000; 10-24-2010 at 09:38 PM.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote