Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: new radio fried servo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default new radio fried servo?

just got a futaba 3pm magnum radio and reciever... turned it on and truck moved forward on its on... so I broke out the manual and started adjusting things..... the servo started smoking and died....its all out of wack..... where should I start at programming this thing? I need a class for all the damn settings

-Hitec 645mg servo
mudn_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
RCC Addict

any time you change radios, you should pull the horn off of the servo and keep the wheels off the ground. I dont think Ive ever swapped radios and had the setttings be anywhere near the previous radio. First, unplug your servo from the receiver and work on setting up your ESC. Move the throttle and brake endpoints till they are maxxed out (even if it goes over 100%). Zero your trim, sub trim and set your expo to linear. Now set your ESC to your new radio settings per the ESC directions. Once that is finished put your servo back in, but leave the horrn off of it. Leave the endpoints on the steering at 100% for now and zero your trim and sub trim. Turn your truck on so the servo centers itself, center your wheels, and reinstall the horn. Now using your left and right endpoints, set your servo so that it doesnt over stress itself. You only want the servo to move far enough to get full steering, no more. I tend to set mine so its obivously binding and back it down till the servo stops whining.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
any time you change radios, you should pull the horn off of the servo and keep the wheels off the ground. I dont think Ive ever swapped radios and had the setttings be anywhere near the previous radio. First, unplug your servo from the receiver and work on setting up your ESC. Move the throttle and brake endpoints till they are maxxed out (even if it goes over 100%). Zero your trim, sub trim and set your expo to linear. Now set your ESC to your new radio settings per the ESC directions. Once that is finished put your servo back in, but leave the horrn off of it. Leave the endpoints on the steering at 100% for now and zero your trim and sub trim. Turn your truck on so the servo centers itself, center your wheels, and reinstall the horn. Now using your left and right endpoints, set your servo so that it doesnt over stress itself. You only want the servo to move far enough to get full steering, no more. I tend to set mine so its obivously binding and back it down till the servo stops whining.

Thanks this is very helpful.... but the servo whined all the time, it didn't use to though.... i couldn't get it to stop, and it got hot then started smoking and fried it I guess
mudn_1 is offline   Reply With Quote