Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Help me pick motor/ESC combo please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #1

Default Help me pick motor/ESC combo please

OK, sorry for this because Im a crawler newbie Here is my problem. I got a used crawler from a guy and its awesome, however the motor included with it was what appears to be a pretty old Integy 55t motor and I got a decent deal on a Novak rooster speed control but in my opinion its pretty much garbage. It works and runs but as soon as it gets to a point where the wheels start to spin it just acts like it doesnt have enough power to even turn the wheels and keep crawling. Is that a problem with my ESC or motor or is it just that combo of the Integy motor and Novak ESC.... I've heard quite a few negatives about both

I was looking at the Holmes motor and ESC combo, would that be decent? Keep in mind this isnt going into a hardcore comp crawler but just a AX10 that I crawl for fun for now. Thanks for any help or suggestions!!!
crfnick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
RCC Addict

if your ever goin to comp buy once, i say FXR and a brood handwound in 35t.

i have never run the HH stuff personally but they are good ESC's. Also to get best performance 3s lipo is great battery choice, just remember your charger has to be lipo compatible.
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrains View Post
if your ever goin to comp buy once, i say FXR and a brood handwound in 35t.

i have never run the HH stuff personally but they are good ESC's. Also to get best performance 3s lipo is great battery choice, just remember your charger has to be lipo compatible.
yea, I already have a lipo charger but will lipo batteries really make that much difference??
Old 10-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Oh yeah, you want lipo. Lighter, more power, more punch, and they will last years instead of 30 cycles.

Your integy motor is probably getting worn out, or it needs some TLC. Depending on how far it is gone, a new motor may do you good. I like running 35t on 3s.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Assuming that you have an AX10 (a bit more info on your setup would be helpful), a Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster BRXL ESC and Brood 35T Creep R/T motor should work perfectly.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
RCC Addict

As said before, a little more info on your rig would help. You are also going to get a lot of conflicting and different answers here.

I think it is all based on your usage. If your comping vs scaling, waterproof vs not, mixed terrain or rock, all of that can affect your decision. So I will tell you want I do, I run brushless Novak systems in a couple SCX10s. Love the power and low maintenance and as long as they are sensored, they are silky smooth at low end with gobs of wheel speed when needed. I run Homes Hobbies BR-XL with epic handwounds on a couple heavier scalers and I run a VXL on my trailtruck.

I am looking at my first comp truck now, if I go shafty, I will probably stay with the HH and handwounds, if I go MoA, I will probably for FXRs and handwounds.

But at a minimum, LiPos and 3S where you can. And if it is your first, the FXR or HH ESC and any good handwound 45T in general.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like you are just crawling for fun.

I would go with a HH 45t sport and one of the castle esc's or a FXR.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #8

i'm as well a newbies in crawling...currently running AX10 on Mamba Max with 60T Venom brushed motor..
i'm planning to get the new XR10 soon..
i just wonder is it possible for me to run 2 motors with that Mamba Max esc?
TQ
VR6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6T View Post
i'm as well a newbies in crawling...currently running AX10 on Mamba Max with 60T Venom brushed motor..
i'm planning to get the new XR10 soon..
i just wonder is it possible for me to run 2 motors with that Mamba Max esc?
TQ
yes u can run 2 motors, u could even run up to around 2 15t's if u really wanted on a mamba max.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

i'd get a sidewinder on 35t and 3s lipo, just plain work IMO...
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #11

yea, sorry for leaving out that its an AX10 with the TCS edge chassis and right now the problem is it just acts like it doesnt have enough power to move the truck when it gets in a tough spot. I can see the motor trying to turn and the driveshafts kinda twitch but its like theres not enough power to make it go. Flat ground its fine but even just running it up against my foot I'm pretty sure it should start to crawl up my leg no problem.....well, PROBLEM..... it won't.

And no, I dont plan on comping this anytime in the near future, its just for fun around the house and on some piles of rock/dirt and for my dad to mess around with.

So its sounding like I should at the very least try a lipo battery? or should I just go all out and get a new ESC and motor while I'm at it??