RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/277689-futaba-4pl-setup-tips-tricks-help.html)

RickM 11-18-2012 09:36 PM

Re: Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help

I actually have 2 recievers and tried it on both and the same things happened so your right. By wiring, I checked all the power wiring to and from my bec and it all looks good. I guess the power wiring could be weak around the esc thus causing a rough connection. Anyway I will get on it tomorrow. Thanks for the feadback.

Harley 11-18-2012 09:46 PM

I would look at the ground more than anything else.

RickM 11-19-2012 07:13 AM

Will do. I am not entirely sure I know what that means but what I do know is I will look at every black wire between the battery to esc to RX.

Charlie-III 11-19-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 4021467)
I would look at the ground more than anything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickM (Post 4021809)
Will do. I am not entirely sure I know what that means but what I do know is I will look at every black wire between the battery to esc to RX.

Some set-ups want a ground from the servo to the RX as well as the signal wire (you call it the "info wire".) So, BEC output red & black to the servo, servo black & signal to the RX (you will need to add another servo ground wire).

CREEPERBOB 11-19-2012 10:17 AM

Agree with Charlie, I just finished wiring up my rig and I always run the black wire with the signal wire (something I got used to using Spektrum equipment.
I just use a servo "Y" and take the red wire out of the RX end plug, that way you don't have to cut or damage the servo plug, ESC plug or BEC plug and are still able to make programing adjustments etc. much easier.

RickM 11-19-2012 01:01 PM

Thats good to know. I will get this dialed tonight.

Funny thing is my rig was not much different in setup, and I was not having any issues. I went to condense my stuff just a bit and this happens.

808toys 11-20-2012 03:01 PM

I just got a 4pl and had to reverse servo on controller so it works correct. But the display is opposite. If I turn controller left truck turns left but display turns right. Is there a way to change the display too

Harley 11-20-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 808toys (Post 4024474)
I just got a 4pl and had to reverse servo on controller so it works correct. But the display is opposite. If I turn controller left truck turns left but display turns right. Is there a way to change the display too

The display reverses when you reverse the channel. So unless you physically change your steering setup that bar won't correlate with the direction.

808toys 11-20-2012 10:45 PM

I reversed my channel so does that mean it supposed to change display automatic

wrightcs77 11-26-2012 10:02 PM

Need some Futaba expert help please. I have a 4pl and am having issues with it when using a Tekin RS. The lights on the Tekin light up when the esc is NOT plugged into the rx. When the ESC is plugged in, no lights on the esc and the lights on the the rx flash red and green at the same time.

In the Futaba manual it says nothing of what flashing red/green at the same time means. I have tried 2 rx's, both do this. They both work fine with my BH esc's. Just trying to figure out what the red/green flashing means. I assume something is wrong with my esc, but just trying to figure out what it is.

ohh EPiC FAiL 11-26-2012 10:05 PM

have you tried re-binding the rx?

Harley 11-27-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrightcs77 (Post 4033655)
Need some Futaba expert help please. I have a 4pl and am having issues with it when using a Tekin RS. The lights on the Tekin light up when the esc is NOT plugged into the rx. When the ESC is plugged in, no lights on the esc and the lights on the the rx flash red and green at the same time.

In the Futaba manual it says nothing of what flashing red/green at the same time means. I have tried 2 rx's, both do this. They both work fine with my BH esc's. Just trying to figure out what the red/green flashing means. I assume something is wrong with my esc, but just trying to figure out what it is.

I don't hear of red/green at the same time very often. I don't actually know that one off hand. I think it may mean a short in the power/ground lead but I need to confirm.

Try disconnecting the red wire from the ESC and powering the RX from a BEC.

Hardline 12-03-2012 05:08 PM

See if I've got this straight. One 4PL will bind to several RX's. The "bind" is not associated with a model #, so one can move RX's between cars at will. But each car needs it's own model # to remember settings such as EPA's etc.

And initial binding is nothing but turning on TX, then push button on RX nearby. Should be good for the life of the RX. And you never need a binding plug.

Have I got all that right? It's different from some of my other RC stuff.

ohh EPiC FAiL 12-03-2012 09:33 PM

no each model number corresponds with a different rx. the way you've described is how the flysky works though.

Harley 12-03-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL (Post 4045899)
no each model number corresponds with a different rx. the way you've described is how the flysky works though.

He actually has it right, the models are NOT tied to a RX. Any model will work with any bound RX. Very simple, no reminding.

ohh EPiC FAiL 12-03-2012 09:51 PM

really? whenever i turn mine on and have it on the wrong rx accidentally, it doesn't work so i just assumed that's how it was

Harley 12-03-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL (Post 4045941)
really? whenever i turn mine on and have it on the wrong rx accidentally, it doesn't work so i just assumed that's how it was

I believe all Futaba products are the same. The only difference is C1 and C2 models when you have to toggle the power on and off.

RickM 12-19-2012 08:06 AM

Hello all.

I have a quick question. I am running a super on my 4pl and have followed Harley's instructions on the videos. I am curious about one thing.

Can you have both independant rear steer, and then the pre programmed mixxed rear steer together? For instance, on the switch push button, have it setup to have either counter steer/crab/lock, and on DT-1 have independent rear control? In a brief effort to mess with it it looks like it is either one or the other.

Harley 12-19-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickM (Post 4077769)
Hello all.

I have a quick question. I am running a super on my 4pl and have followed Harley's instructions on the videos. I am curious about one thing.

Can you have both independant rear steer, and then the pre programmed mixxed rear steer together? For instance, on the switch push button, have it setup to have either counter steer/crab/lock, and on DT-1 have independent rear control? In a brief effort to mess with it it looks like it is either one or the other.

I would have to double check, but I believe you can run both but the mix will run over top of the independent and give you some funky results if you don't recenter it before toggling it on. That is the case with the 4PKS.

RickM 12-19-2012 08:45 AM

That makes sense. I was going to leave it in rear lock, and use independant most of the time but having "stupid proof" bailout option in a bind to throw it in 4ws or crab would be pretty cool.

EDIT-

Just got my stupid proof question taken care of. I am most used to the thumb switches on my 2.2 for dig and propo (which I really need to use more/or even some), so I switched propo to DT-2, put DT-3 as rear steer, but programmed DT-1 as rear steer but put it at 100% so one touch gets it back to center. This was what Michael recommended which is brilliant!! Great call Michael. Harley, you probably just did not have a chance to type this up yet, but my Michael beat you to it.

craddock35 12-20-2012 02:39 PM

Ok stupid question but I have looked around and havn't seen one so I figured I would ask. Is there a strap of some kind made for the 4pl? I need something that will hold it good and secure and have a kinda wide strap or padded strap. I have neck back and shoulder issues and my arms and hands tend to go to sleep or just start hurting really bad without warning sometimes and I don't want this to happen and me drop my controller and ruin it. Thanks for any help."thumbsup"

RickM 12-20-2012 06:26 PM

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Seams that worse case you could drill a small hole in the bottom and mount a strap holder if nothing exists.

Harley 12-20-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craddock35 (Post 4080756)
Ok stupid question but I have looked around and havn't seen one so I figured I would ask. Is there a strap of some kind made for the 4pl? I need something that will hold it good and secure and have a kinda wide strap or padded strap. I have neck back and shoulder issues and my arms and hands tend to go to sleep or just start hurting really bad without warning sometimes and I don't want this to happen and me drop my controller and ruin it. Thanks for any help."thumbsup"

I don't think anything exists but I have seen people wrap the grip of a radio to hold a strap somehow.

wildmike 12-20-2012 07:00 PM

There is a little space in the back of the radio that you can drill a hole thru to put a strap. Thats how i have mine. There isnt anything in this space like wires or anything. Here is a pic to show you. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/21/6ehadesy.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

treys1 01-07-2013 12:18 PM

Does anyone know if the auxiliary switches can be programmed to function like a momentary switch?

e.g. on the winch channel it would be great if the 2 switched positions (with the center being the 3rd) would automatically release to the center when let go. This is how my full size winch works and I would love to be able to bump the winch in or out without manually switching to the center position.

Harley 01-07-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treys1 (Post 4111773)
Does anyone know if the auxiliary switches can be programmed to function like a momentary switch?

e.g. on the winch channel it would be great if the 2 switched positions (with the center being the 3rd) would automatically release to the center when let go. This is how my full size winch works and I would love to be able to bump the winch in or out without manually switching to the center position.

This isn't a current programming option. It is something I have written down for future programming updates. While that may not help now, maybe it is something I can get done in the future.

ninja turtle 01-07-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 4111785)
This isn't a current programming option. It is something I have written down for future programming updates. While that may not help now, maybe it is something I can get done in the future.

That would be awesome! Please do what you can. Thanks Harley.

treys1 01-07-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 4111785)

Thanks for the quick response. "thumbsup"

jthellfire911 01-08-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildmike (Post 4081231)
There isnt anything in this space like wires or anything. Here is a pic to show you. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/21/6ehadesy.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

are you 100% sure? I don't wanna drill into my brand new 4pl and mess it up!

YJ_Driver 01-28-2013 11:43 AM

I wrote a second 4PL mod thread, this time for a 3 position momentary switch!
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elect...ml#post4148871

Richard

Darth Smoke 02-01-2013 08:00 PM

Are they still updating the remotes still? Ive got one that needs updated.

Mjirvine 02-08-2013 04:30 PM

Hi,

Not a crawler question but help would be much appreciated.

With the 4PL Is there any way to set the dial control, a trim control (or even one of the switches to enable/Disable)to allow adjustment to a reduced speed mode like altering throttle EPA on the fly so I can quickly dial it down when my 5 year old wants a shot of my rc car?

I have read this whole thread looking for something about this and hope there is a way of doing it.

Regards

Michael

YJ_Driver 02-08-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjirvine (Post 4169567)
Hi,

Not a crawler question but help would be much appreciated.

With the 4PL Is there any way to set the dial control, a trim control (or even one of the switches to enable/Disable)to allow adjustment to a reduced speed mode like altering throttle EPA on the fly so I can quickly dial it down when my 5 year old wants a shot of my rc car?

I have read this whole thread looking for something about this and hope there is a way of doing it.

Regards

Michael

I haven't found one either. For my boy I make a copy of the model and set the throttle EPA in there. This has the advantage that my boy can't 'accidentaly' push a switch and enable full throttle. I can also use it to limit other functions like lock the tranny in low gear.

RadioFlyer 02-19-2013 05:11 PM

Cheap HobbyKing transmitter wheel. For under $10 I had to try it. Had other stuff in the basket and some weight leftover to add to it. :mrgreen:

So got it today and I am very satisfied with it. The parts fit correctly and they look sharp but more importantly the foam is softer than the stock Futaba wheel and to me it just feels better. For those that prefer the Futaba foam, it will slide right onto the wheel.

All the parts were there. You get the small allen key, the wrenches are mine and they are all you need to swap the wheel.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...psc7a788cd.jpg

Not sure if that's normal but my kit came with two identical adapters, although they were labelled differently. Either one worked fine.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps20bafeec.jpg

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps891c6dfa.jpg

Careful not to overtighten the five hex bolts that hold the wheel to the adapter, they are easy to strip. Took less than two minutes total. IMO it looks better and feels better.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...psf7f8ae9c.jpg

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...psda648274.jpg

They also have them in different colors and styles.

Sean 8)

waynedizzle 02-20-2013 02:48 AM

can u help me with my 4pl..in my wraith the revesre messes up..the blue lite flashes n the motor goes with the flash..n breaks are weak..forward is fine..i got the vxl system hitec 7955 no bec..worked fine witrh stock radio...

Harley 02-20-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynedizzle (Post 4190729)
can u help me with my 4pl..in my wraith the revesre messes up..the blue lite flashes n the motor goes with the flash..n breaks are weak..forward is fine..i got the vxl system hitec 7955 no bec..worked fine witrh stock radio...

Calibrate the radio to the ESC. Check your esc manual for instructions.

wurster 02-20-2013 04:58 PM

Hey Harley great thread but i have a non crawler ? this is for a nitro boat how do you set up the 4pl to use the dt2 and dt4 buttons to operat a servo to use the buttons to ajust the servo as trim up and down to ajust the remote needle rich or lean.Hope this makes sence.Thnx Robert

c0bra 02-20-2013 08:33 PM

great thread. i just picked up a 4pl yesterday to use on a wraith. after testing it im thinking about switching my go fast over to the same 4pl.

anybody ever use the 4pl on a go fast?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

RadioFlyer 02-20-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0bra (Post 4192384)
great thread. i just picked up a 4pl yesterday to use on a wraith. after testing it im thinking about switching my go fast over to the same 4pl.

anybody ever use the 4pl on a go fast?

If a go fast refers to a race vehicle, yes. I use mine for my Wraith and my EXO for bashing but also for my CRC Xti, Tamiya F1 and RC10 buggy that I race.

Sean 8)

c0bra 02-20-2013 08:48 PM

i dont race but i have an sc8e and sprint 2 besides the wraith and a clod. you answered my question though.