Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Radiolink RC8X; On the fly receiver switching between 2 rigs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2023, 11:21 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Radiolink RC8X; On the fly receiver switching between 2 rigs?

I want to have 2 rigs readily to drive, specifically a tow rig and the rig on the trailer to drive off and on without having a 2nd transmitter. I couldn't find anything specific on a quick search or the correct terms to look for I guess but I want to say this is capable of it. Anyone know how, or more so what the setting is on it?
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2023, 11:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Radiolink RC8X; On the fly receiver switching between 2 rigs?

Many will agree with me, and since will probably disagree...it's NOT advisable to simultaneously run two vehicles of the same Tx. Although unlikely, radio interference *could* take over control of the vehicle you're not currently controlling...and, don't say it's not possible. I've had it happen to one of my drones while I was flying the drone. Having a signal "take over" something you're operating is bad enough (especially when it's something you're flying)...but, having it happen to a vehicle you're not even currently controlling could be worse.

For my rescue boat, I had the same idea you're having...and, I had several people advise against it. If the 'non-controlled' vehicle starts taking off on its own, you probably won't be able to regain control before something happens. That's what almost happened with that drone. Thankfully, I regained control quickly, and long enough, for me to land it, and shut it down. Of course, I was flying next to an observatory, work LOTS of electronic equipment. But, one never knows..........

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 12:06 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the reply Panther.

So it wasn't this transmitter that I recall now. It was the Spektrum D5XC that I saw somebody switch between their 2 rigs. Their DSMR receiver has that feature. I'm just hoping it's true with this as well.
Old 05-07-2023, 12:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The RX8 is setup to do just that. It puts on rx on standby while operating the other rx.
There is a Radiolink vid on youtube going over this feature and how to set it up and use it.
Few users have also done vids on it.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 12:17 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
The RX8 is setup to do just that. It puts on rx on standby while operating the other rx.
There is a Radiolink vid on youtube going over this feature and how to set it up and use it.
Thanks for clarifying!

I'm currently heading to a meet and looks like I'll be configuring that when I show up.
Old 05-07-2023, 12:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
I was not aware that any radios had this "feature"...but, even as a feature, it's something people might want to be wary of. Not saying it "doesn't work", but technology is never 'foolproof'. I'm use Tesla's self driving "feature" as a perfect example...lol

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 05-08-2023, 04:12 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I was not aware that any radios had this "feature"...but, even as a feature, it's something people might want to be wary of. Not saying it "doesn't work", but technology is never 'foolproof'. I'm use Tesla's self driving "feature" as a perfect example...lol

Yes, it's a cool feature that is availabe with the older RC4/6GS radios as well.

This is what they call ID Seed.

Tank RC did a vid on this with his RC6GS a few years ago.
the RC8 also has this option, but with 200 model memory.

Old 05-08-2023, 04:21 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I appreciate the post Timmah. I haven't messed with mine yet but I'll check it out. And I'd no idea you can do it on the previous model too which is what I have also!
Old 05-08-2023, 04:44 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I have a new rc4gs radiolink radio all you have to do is switch models in the menu and you you can run as many as you like off of it
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:34 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The RC8X does not call this feature "ID Seed". It is "Subsidiay ID Mode". The instructions to set it up can be found in the RC8X manual on Page 35. I haven't attempted to set this up yet so don't know how the setup compares to what is on the youtube video for the RC6GS.

As far as it goes, ferp420 has a point but I think the difference is, when just switching the model from one vehicle to another you would disconnect the power on the first vehicle, switch the transmitter to the second vehicle and then power up the second vehicle. That is demonstrated in the first part of the video.

Using "ID Seed" or "Susidiary ID Mode", both vehicles can be powered up at the same time but only the selected one is operational. Saves the switching on/off of the 2 vehicles.

Goro Majima - I would be interested, and I'm sure others would as well, to hear how you make out setting this up.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 12:35 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If this feature is truly "fail safe", I'd see interest in using it (especially since I do plan on getting an RC8X)...but, the analytical side of me questions whether, or not, it would work correctly 100% of the time.

I could just picture, for example, using the RC8X with a boat I'm running, and the rescue boat. The primary boat flips over, I put its Rx on 'hold', switch the Tx to the rescue boat, and start rescuing the flipped boat. And, then...all of a sudden...the flipped boat gets radio interference, the motor kicks into "full throttle", and the boat dives like a submarine, never to be seen again.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:35 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I have a new rc4gs radiolink radio all you have to do is switch models in the menu and you you can run as many as you like off of it

That's about half of what I made this thread for, which I utilize a ton. The other half is this new-to-me "ID seed/Subsidiary ID" mode that has to be re-bound to the Rx's and assigned said IDs in order to run 2+ rigs without interference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
The RC8X does not call this feature "ID Seed". It is "Subsidiay ID Mode". The instructions to set it up can be found in the RC8X manual on Page 35. I haven't attempted to set this up yet so don't know how the setup compares to what is on the youtube video for the RC6GS.

As far as it goes, ferp420 has a point but I think the difference is, when just switching the model from one vehicle to another you would disconnect the power on the first vehicle, switch the transmitter to the second vehicle and then power up the second vehicle. That is demonstrated in the first part of the video.

Using "ID Seed" or "Susidiary ID Mode", both vehicles can be powered up at the same time but only the selected one is operational. Saves the switching on/off of the 2 vehicles.

Goro Majima - I would be interested, and I'm sure others would as well, to hear how you make out setting this up.
Thanks for clarifying stuff. That Tank RC video on the RC4GS applies the same to the 6. Actually disappointed in myself that I didn't find this out sooner as I had been using 2 Tx's out at meets all this time.

I misplaced my manual for the 8 but the aforementioned video was enough help on how to set it up. I easily looked over the option under the receiver submenu a few days ago. As for testing, it works absolutely fantastic and looking forward to making videos with 3+ rigs lol.

I did testing on my TRX4 and 10.2. One thing I did notice is when I'd switch to the 10.2, one of the diffs would unlock on the TRX4. I'd prefer it kept it's diffs locked in case I have the rig in a situation that needs a hold. I'll have to look into it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
If this feature is truly "fail safe", I'd see interest in using it (especially since I do plan on getting an RC8X)...but, the analytical side of me questions whether, or not, it would work correctly 100% of the time.

I could just picture, for example, using the RC8X with a boat I'm running, and the rescue boat. The primary boat flips over, I put its Rx on 'hold', switch the Tx to the rescue boat, and start rescuing the flipped boat. And, then...all of a sudden...the flipped boat gets radio interference, the motor kicks into "full throttle", and the boat dives like a submarine, never to be seen again.

I'll do some tests for sure with multiple rigs/combinations but I'd like to believe there's no interference issues with this feature being that it was introduced back when the RC4GS was released.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:08 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

You can get an electronic copy of the manual here -

https://download.hkwezhan.cn/content...c8e586d17562fe

I find it easier for me if I can print off a page or 2 with the instructions for something I am specifically trying to do. And, I have on old desktop PC at my RC workbench so I can bring up manuals and other info right where I am working.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 11:36 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
You can get an electronic copy of the manual here -

https://download.hkwezhan.cn/content...c8e586d17562fe

I find it easier for me if I can print off a page or 2 with the instructions for something I am specifically trying to do. And, I have on old desktop PC at my RC workbench so I can bring up manuals and other info right where I am working.
That's actually a really smart idea. Right now, my RC workstation is kinda on the small side (which makes it slightly difficult to film videos for my RC YouTube channel)...but, once I can finally get through everything from the move and enlarge my work area, I've been thinking about doing the same, using an old Dell Optiplex desktop, and 19" monitor.

Old 05-10-2023, 04:46 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
That's about half of what I made this thread for, which I utilize a ton. The other half is this new-to-me "ID seed/Subsidiary ID" mode that has to be re-bound to the Rx's and assigned said IDs in order to run 2+ rigs without interference.

Thanks for clarifying stuff. That Tank RC video on the RC4GS applies the same to the 6. Actually disappointed in myself that I didn't find this out sooner as I had been using 2 Tx's out at meets all this time.

I misplaced my manual for the 8 but the aforementioned video was enough help on how to set it up. I easily looked over the option under the receiver submenu a few days ago. As for testing, it works absolutely fantastic and looking forward to making videos with 3+ rigs lol.

I did testing on my TRX4 and 10.2. One thing I did notice is when I'd switch to the 10.2, one of the diffs would unlock on the TRX4. I'd prefer it kept it's diffs locked in case I have the rig in a situation that needs a hold. I'll have to look into it further.

I'll do some tests for sure with multiple rigs/combinations but I'd like to believe there's no interference issues with this feature being that it was introduced back when the RC4GS was released.

Good Stuff. maybe check/set chnl failsafe positions to stop the diff from unlocking. Seems that would take care of that quirk.

Radiolink RC8X; On the fly receiver switching between 2 rigs? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RadioLink RC8X - have you bought one nightcrawler48 Electronics 16 09-24-2023 05:48 PM
radiolink rc8x momentary switch? Habendanio Electronics 1 02-03-2023 04:49 PM
How To: Bully 2 w/ HW Fusion Pros and setup on Radiolink RC8X jamesbernatchez RC4WD Bully 6 01-26-2023 10:36 AM
Radiolink RC8X - Conditions? CosmoM3 Electronics 2 01-24-2023 08:50 AM
Fly sky receiver theborderdog Axial Wraith 3 10-07-2019 04:51 PM