Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: new be and lipo batteries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default new be and lipo batteries

so i went th charge my new lipo battery and the charger is flashing "low voltage"
and will not do any thng,
what do i have to do
please tell me the batteries are not messed up

thanks
TRAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAV View Post
so i went th charge my new lipo battery and the charger is flashing "low voltage"
and will not do any thng,
what do i have to do
please tell me the batteries are not messed up

thanks
Kind of sounds like it. I am assuming that you ran them prior to the charge attempt, right? Did you use them on an esc that doesn't have a low voltage cutoff? Lipos can't be discharged too low (3.0v per cell, my preference), and if they are, they may not be recoverable.
Chachi_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

If you are running 3s lipos then put the charger on the setting for 2S and put it on the lowes amp setting and let it charge until the voltage gets brought back up to above like 9V and then switch the charger back over to the original settings.
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Lipo batteries are not something to be messing with unless you know how to take care of them. Do some reading on here to find out how to use them properly. All of this information has been covered and covered on here and there is no excuse from not using the search button before moving to lipo.

On to your question. Yes you f'ed your new battery. Is it possible to save it? Possibly. If you have a miltimeter pin out the voltages on each cell (usually black wire is ground and the other wires will be the + on each of the cells) and report them to us. If you went way too far then you are better off discarding this pack and buying another one rather than taking the risks of trying to bring it back to life. If they are only slightly out of the safe range then you can do a couple of things to try to bring them back.

What ESC are you running?
Do you have a low voltage cutoff and if so what is it set to?
What charger do you have and does it balance?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

ok i have the venom pro charger,
and yes i did run them, my bad.
the esc dosen't have a cut off but i have one now and will install it before i use them next time.

i did some reading and found how to get them to charge
but now when i check the 2 cells onr reads 8.4 v and the other is reading 4.2v

the battery is a 5000mAh 2s 7.4v li-po

thank you for all your help so far, i have been doing some reading on this and other sites. man lots to learn compared to the old 6cell batteries

travis
Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAV View Post
ok i have the venom pro charger,
and yes i did run them, my bad.
the esc dosen't have a cut off but i have one now and will install it before i use them next time.

i did some reading and found how to get them to charge
but now when i check the 2 cells onr reads 8.4 v and the other is reading 4.2v

the battery is a 5000mAh 2s 7.4v li-po

thank you for all your help so far, i have been doing some reading on this and other sites. man lots to learn compared to the old 6cell batteries

travis
I dont even think it is possible to charge a single cell to 8.4 volts that must be the pack voltage. It looks like the charger balances, make sure that you ARE NOT IN CHARGE mode but in BALANCE mode. That should make sure that the 2 cells are equal to one another so one doesnt over charge or over discharge. Be careful not to over discharge the pack again, balancing it will make sure that one cell wont go under safe voltage. Most if not all LVC's only look at total pack voltage not the voltage of each cell so if the pack isnt balanced it is very easy for one cell to go too low or too high, ask me how I know. Balance them every time.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i guess that makes sence that if the total is 8.4 than a single cell would be 4.2

this battery has a little 3 wire plug besides the 2 wires that go in to my esc conector. in this 3 wire plug there is a black ground, red positive, and a blue which goes in to the center of the battery. so when i red the red wire it's reading the whole battery and when i test the blue wire it reading a singler cell.
buring the balancing the screan showed 4.2 for each cell, so i think i must have it now. i hope this is clear in the wat i wrote it.
again thanks for all the help out there, this why this the best fopurm out there
Old 10-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

when you test individual cell voltage you test each 2 wires that are beside each other, so on a 2s pack like you have its one outside wire (in the balance plug) the the center wire in the plug on each side. that will give you your individual readings. what you were doing was ground to red and ground to blue, one which gives the first cell, and one gives the full voltage. if you are seeing 4.2 (perfect full charge voltage per cell) and 8.4 then your second cell is 4.2 as well and your pack is fully balanced.
dealwithit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealwithit View Post
when you test individual cell voltage you test each 2 wires that are beside each other, so on a 2s pack like you have its one outside wire (in the balance plug) the the center wire in the plug on each side. that will give you your individual readings. what you were doing was ground to red and ground to blue, one which gives the first cell, and one gives the full voltage. if you are seeing 4.2 (perfect full charge voltage per cell) and 8.4 then your second cell is 4.2 as well and your pack is fully balanced.

thanks to everyone for your help, i think i recoverd both batt. and now i have installed a cutoff as well.