Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Problem with my electronics...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #1

Default Problem with my electronics...

Hey.

I've been having some problems with my truck lately. It seems as if there are "lumps in the current" so to speak I'm using a cheap ESC (7.2V) and a cheap nanda racing 23t motor with my 2s LiPo (7.4V) and a low voltage buzzer to avoid damaging my battery. Is the .2V difference in voltage what is causing the problem? Could that make my ESC act up and supply uneven power to my motor?

Also, it seems as if my car goes backwards much more smooth than forward (less sound and better acceleration...) Could this be an electronic issue? I've tried switching what I can switch but I suspect it to be a gearing issue - off topic I know, but anyone have a clue what could be wrong?

And before you flame my ESC and motor - I'll order a LiPo compatible ESC and a 35t+55t quality motor when my finances allow it

Thanks for helping a newb out!
/Mocca
Mocca Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Do you have an external BEC? What is happenning, the truck is lurching?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #3

BEC - sorry?
I bought a Nanda racing ESC+motor combo (23t) real cheap...

The car is lurching - like getting hic ups. It simply feels like it don't distribute power evenly. I can hear how it at some points peak at full throttle and then fall back on a lower level. And after a while it feels really flat/weak.

I'm thinking about getting a 20t limit ESC with LiPo cut-off (2s compatible, what I have now). Think that would do the trick?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocca Master View Post
BEC - sorry?
I bought a Nanda racing ESC+motor combo (23t) real cheap...

The car is lurching - like getting hic ups. It simply feels like it don't distribute power evenly. I can hear how it at some points peak at full throttle and then fall back on a lower level. And after a while it feels really flat/weak.

I'm thinking about getting a 20t limit ESC with LiPo cut-off (2s compatible, what I have now). Think that would do the trick?

Thanks
I was running a stock Axial esc and a crawford Engineering servo. When I went to a VP Dig the onboard BEC (Battery Eliminating Circuit) couldn't handle both servos. I ordered a CC BEC so my steering servo can get more power.

I realized that once I unplugged my DIG servo and the lurching stopped.

Your esc needs enough power for the Motor and servo. I think if one takes too much the other starves for voltage.
Kanine38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Does it lurch when you use the servo? The first thing you need is an external BEC to power your servo.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to test the lurching and servo use.

I was under the impression that my ESC powered the rest of the components incl. my servo... ? How does an external BEC work? I put the LiPo balancer in a buzzer that warns me of low voltage in the cells and I stop driving - has worked fine so far, but I'm not sure if the ESC can handle that extra .2V the LiPo is giving