Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BEC wiring to esc......special circumstance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default BEC wiring to esc......special circumstance.

Let me start by saying I have read the BEC wiring thread over and over, it helped greatly. I'm starting to second guess myself lately, regarding the way I wired my rig. I have a CC BEC wired to a CC mamba max pro...one cell edition. Apparently, CC made this little gizmo to be ROAR compliant in regards to one cell class requirements, they removed the on board bec, and this is where my question is. All the posts say remove the red wire from to esc to the RX, when I do this I get no lights on my esc, I can't say it doesn't have power since its connected direct to the battery, but if I reconnect the red lead into the harness on the rx, my esc status lights will come on. I have been running the rig with zero. Problems, I was just wondering what the deal was.

My second question is, if I have my BEC set to 6v for my servo and it passes from my BEC to rx, is this going to kill my rx? Because I have no onboard BEC in my esc, would I have to either get a second BEC and wiring it direct to the servo or would I have to use a rx pack to power the rx? Wow, that was a mouthful! Thanks for any suggestions, I have learned everything I know about crawlers, from this site. Thanks for the help
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

This one might seem confusing, but the answer is actually pretty simple. We are told to remove the red wire so we aren't using both the onboard and external BEC at the same time. You can't do that, because you don't have an internal BEC. If it works with the red wire in place, then there you go.

As I thought about why anyone would you use the 1 cell version it clicked in my head. It actually makes more sense to use the 1 cell because I would bet 95% on the people on this website that use a Castle controller are also running their external BEC, meaning they're carrying around dead weight for no reason. Though it would make sense to have an internal BEC also if you're going to power your servo at some high voltage... Interesting. With proper planning the 1 cell version might be the best choice... got me thinking...

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Your explanation makes sense, however, if there's no internal BEC what does the red wire do? I'm just curious why the esc wont work without it. If the red wire carries power with an onboard bec, what does it do in an application such as mine. My reason for the one cell goes like this, I bought it from a Guy on craigslist brand new with a 6900lv brushless motor, sold the motor for $65, Viola!!!!!! A PC programmable brushed/brushless esc capable of up to 6 cell Lipo and way mores amp than I'll ever need....for $35 bucks!
Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by day215 View Post
what does the red wire do?
Apparently sends power to the ESC.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Apparently sends power to the ESC.
Yes....apparently!
Quote:
Am I on target with my thoughts on needing the second BEC?
Old 10-31-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
MODERATOR™

Nah, you only need the one powering the RX. It can handle 6 volts. Servo plugged into the RX, and you're good.

You'll note on the bottom here it says "Disregard w/Pheonix", those don't have an onboard BEC either, so you fall in that camp too.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Sweet, Thank you for the insight.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
MODERATOR™

And thanks for making me think this might be the best Castle ESC option out there.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Eeepee is correct, leave the red wire in, i had to disable the BEC in my MMP for my 1/12 scale car(yes i know its huge) and run a rx pack 250mah. Works fine as a BU for crawling.
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote