Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Balancer wire short??!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Balancer wire short??!!

Well I was running my truck at lunch today and something odd happened. I am running a thunderpower 3s 1350 pack with a castle BEC and a MMP esc. Anyway I was playing on the rocks and hit an something and my truck completely froze, just one constant beep from the esc. I pulled the battery plug, shut everything down and fired it back up again and all was fine until I went crawling again. Pretty quickly the same thing. No steering no go, but a constant beep from the MMP! Took the battery to the LHS and they tested it and all checked out accept for the white balancer wire which was coming out of its plug. The guy at the LHS said that if this was shorting it could have shut down the entire system
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

A constant beep, like beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I think we are being lured in like the car talk guys. Regardless it is a more like this.

Beep---------Beep---------Beep----------Beep.

It is not ramping up or down like when you cycle it on or off.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #4

Your receiver is not communicating with the controller. How is the RX being powered, by the BEC?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Let me see if I can get this figured out then. I am using a spektrum dx3r. I did find that I had one wire slightly loose on the balancer. I also noticed the deans connection was loose deap down in the connection. Connected a new deans plug and charged the battery.

On to the issue at hand. I have the bec connected to the battery connections and without the diagram in front of me the RX, and both the dig servo and steering servo come on when I plug in my battery. I have to turn on the esc to power the motor. I was at a local hobby store with several other guys running 2.4 systems. As mentioned before when I was running everything would simply shut down. Was I basically loosing the bind temporarily? If so does one prevent that? Thanks in advance for the attention to this Mr. Holmes!!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #6

It may be your RX unbinding. I have had it happen with the dx3, maybe others have seen it as well. I doubt it is a loose balance wire. The only thing that could come from a loose cell tap is smoke, sparks, or loss of connection.

Maybe contact spektrum, or increase your BEC voltage a touch. Using 6.5v would still be safe the the components, but may keep brownouts down.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks a ton for the help. Come to think of it I have actually had a bit of trouble with other spektrum based setups out there before. I don't know what causes interferance but I have either gotten it or simply had issues in the past. Thanks.