Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo seizure…is it a receiver issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #1

Default Servo seizure…is it a receiver issue?

Just finishing my first berg and I am having trouble with the steering servo ‘seizing’. I have a torquemaster esc still set at factory specs, a dx3e with the sr300 receiver and a JR z9000t servo. I just purchased the servo used on ebay. Before I purchased the servo I had the s200 servo that came with the dx3e installed and it functioned flawless….other than slow and weak. Experimenting with the epa adjustments or dual rate steering again functioned fine with the s200. When I installed the JR servo it centered fine. I had epa’s and dual rate steering on max just like the s200. I set it down on the carpet floor and started to test the steering throw. It worked fine for a couple turns of the wheel and then went into a ‘seizure’. It was not in a binding situation and was not forced too far to one side. As it started to seize I maybe had limited motion of it until it was completely frozen but it would continue to ‘squeal’ even when I would not provide any steering input. This all happened in less than a minute. Powering down and starting up again it would work for a few turns and then same result. Adjusting epa’s and steering rate seemed to make it seize quicker. It never got hot and the esc was barely warm to the touch. I searched the forum with no definitive answers. It sounds like the spectrum receivers may not like the high power servos. It also sounds like installing a BEC could eliminate this.

I am not suggesting the external bec is a bad idea but it seems like it is kind of a bandaid covering my problem. Even if there is performance to be gained from the external bec, I would think the bec in the torquemaster is capable of running the servo on my living room floor.

Did I buy a crapped out servo on ebay?
Are the spectrum receivers really that sensitive?
It looks like there is a few different ways to wire a bec. If that is what I need to solve my servo issue, what is the best way to wire it to solve my problem. I plan on adding a punk dig so I will need my aux channel for that.

Thanks in advance for the help.
rustyrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Try the servo in a different esc / rx / etc. to see if the problem is actually the servo or it is something else.
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #3

I am trying to get my buddies equipment sometime this weekend to swap parts. I borrowed his cc bec earlier and when I installed it per cc wiring diagram, it still seized up in a very short time. I then wired the bec up like an alternate diagram I have seen on the forum with the + and - wires of the servo going to the bec and the signal wire going to the rx. Nothing. it was like there was no power to the servo. checked it with my meter and the servo is getting power but apperently no signal hooked up this way. my connections are good.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Most likely the servo. The case around the bushing gets worn or the gears get worn. The servo is trying to find center and keeps searching, making it twitch real fast.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:29 AM   #5

Sorry if I was misleading with the the word seizure....there is zero 'twitching' in the process. everything appears fine at first but after a few movements of the steering the range of steering decreases and then it quits responding to my input when it is 'seized'. it is completely frozen, but still has a squeal type noise.