Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: NIMH related question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default NIMH related question

Few years back I was using NIMH battery packs and a hobby shop that I was frequenting suggested and sold me these little white ceramic pieces with a battery connector that where to be used while not using/storing the batteries to help take care of them with memory or something. Does anyone here know what these are and what they are called? Do they actually work? Im looking to get some of them as I just got back into the hobby and am not to confident on the lipo route.
treadway47025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like they sold you a resistor with a battery plug. It will slowly kill your batteries. Way back in the day the "fast guys" would insist that you would have to fully discharge a battery (ussually Nicad) to be able to fully charge it or it would develop "memory". None of this applies to modern batteries.

Newer Nimh's don't like being fully discharged, many of them can't even survive a deep discharge anymore. With Lipo's on the scene it is becoming harder to even purchase a good Nimh pack. (HINT: stay away from Ener-G cells)

I've been in this hobby for years, and I am still shortchanging myself by not going Lipo. My suggestion is bite the bullet now and never look back. You can get a decent lipo charger for about $60 and batteries for about $25 a piece.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
RCC Addict

dont bother~ todays batteries are advanced and dont need any "special" pieces to add to them. NiMH retain their memory as NiCad which are i believe illegal to sell due to them being so toxic they cannot dispose of them.
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
RCC Addict

If you insist on going with Nickel batteries, just charge, drive until it noticeably slows, repeat. No need for the discharge nonsense.

Go Lipo. Much better overall.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
RCC Addict

not sure if ive been mislead on Lipo's but...
ive been told that they are unstable and if you leave em to low they are done for/dead for good.??
Old 11-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

the whole thing with the lipo maintainence and with getting ruined so easily or exploding causing fires are major reasons I havent jumped on board yet.
treadway47025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
RCC Addict

same reason i have stuck NiMH out for years!!
i have a set of lith-ions in my xmod which never got a single charge nor use for this exact reason. i was a chicken ass
Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadway47025 View Post
the whole thing with the lipo maintainence and with getting ruined so easily or exploding causing fires are major reasons I havent jumped on board yet.
they are very safe with a few small steps and a good charger makes it so much easier! just get a charger that has charge, discharge, balance(somedo this while charging) , and store modes

this makes it very easy to store, charge, and balance to take care of your batteries, i just made the switch over the summer and im gald i did! i have not had a single problem and i get more out of my rigs!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Suck it up!

There is no reason to be afraid of lipo. There are a few simple rules to follow and there won't be any problems.

1. Don't overcharge or improperly charge them.
2. Don't allow them to completely discharge.
3. Keep them balanced.
4. Don't hit them with a hammer.
5. Don't poke them with something sharp.
6. Don't overwork them (mind your capacity).
7. Don't let them freeze.
8. Store them half charged.

Stick to those rules and you'll have a happy coexistance with lipos.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote