Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: attempting repairs...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2006, 03:28 PM   #1

Default attempting repairs...

I've got three HS 422 servos here that I just burnt, I hooked the power line up to -5 insted of +5. So as soon as I turned on the controller I got a bunch of smoke...

I hooked one back up, properly, it still runs but it has a constant jitter, it does respond to commands but also throws in a random movement every couple of seconds.

comparing to the one good servo I have left, everything looks normal on the circuit board, except the part labled CN70, right beside where the wires come in, on the side facing you when you open the case.

just wondering if anyone knows what that component is or where I could find a datasheet for it or the board, or any other info that might be helpful..

thanks in advance
suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

if no one else answers,try to find a good electronics store near you and bring in the servo so they can see it.they might be able to match it up .
SPEED_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:04 PM   #3

what does it look like? is it a black chip, or a disk looking thing? I can't remember what CN means, like C = capacitor, R = resistor..... what kind of Electronics skills do you have? Just curious as that is what I do for living....
AkCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkCrash
what does it look like?
little black cube

Quote:
What kind of Electronics skills do you have? Just curious as that is what I do for living
not much, I've taken a basic electronics course, but really haven't done much "real world"... I'd like to learn.
I'm a student just trying to save a couple of bucks, if I just sodder on a capacitor of the wrong size, what are the chances that I just make things worse?

the old one looks like it was right a cross from +5 to ground, if that helps any
Old 03-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #5

How many leads does it have? If it is just the two leads from 5V to GRND then it might just be a cap. But if it is something else and you replace it with a cap then it could really hose it up. Try taking the part out and look for a part number or any specs, then go out to mouser or digi-key and do a search....

Does anyone know where to get schematics for servos and radios and things? These could come in handy for modding...
Old 03-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
How many leads does it have? If it is just the two leads from 5V to GRND then it might just be a cap.
yeah just the two.

Quote:
Try taking the part out and look for a part number or any specs, then go out to mouser or digi-key and do a search....
for all three, taking them out involved accedently crushing them... and two were too burnt to read even the CN70, it's very small there's not room for much more..

CN70 gives 2 results on mouser and they're both batteries...

looking for capacitor codes on google
http://xtronics.com/kits/ccode.htm
... maybe it's 70pf?
or not, looking for CN70 on google I find this
http://www.worldwideelec.com/assets/...308-5108PN.PDF
so it's probably a "chip capacitor", but CN70 is just the location?

Quote:
Does anyone know where to get schematics for servos and radios and things? These could come in handy for modding...
I posted this thread on three other forums including hitec's oficial forum and their reply was "that info is not available, see our website for repair pricing"

the one I reconnected, now that the capacitor is out completly, is still jittery just like before, could the capacitor be smoothing out those jitters like in an AC to DC converter?

Last edited by suki; 03-13-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #7

If it is a cap, and it sounds like it, since it goes from power to ground then it is just smoothing the power out, giveing a nice smooth consistent flow to the servo. Do you happen to have another old junk servo laying around? Maybe steal a similiar part form there? Or, go to your local RatShack and tell them you need a 5V or higher power smoothing capicitor, take the best fried one you have to show them. I guess at this point the servo is hosed so you don't have a lot to lose. If they don't have one, as a last resort you could try a cap from a motor. That might work. Try radio shack first tho. Keep us informed!

Good luck
Old 03-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #8

Default !!!!

Quote:
I guess at this point the servo is hosed so you don't have a lot to lose. If they don't have one, as a last resort you could try a cap from a motor.
!!!!
or this busted optical mouse I had in my desk... it's got what are much more obviously capacitors, and at least some indication of their capacitance, going again from that capacitor codes page http://xtronics.com/kits/ccode.htm.. so I've got a few 10pf, .1 uf and 10 uf capacitors... the 10uf 's say right on them 16V so I'll assume they used similar safety factors for the littler ones...

10 pf is a lot like the zero capacitance that it has right now, so I'll start with the little one
no change...
the .1uf?
visibly less jitters...
the 10uf?
, it works, seems normal...
now the other two?...
yep, working normally as well!

they're the cycyndrical type, way larger than the origionals were, I can just bore a hole through the servo case with my knife so it fits back on...

SWEET!

thanks for your help.

Last edited by suki; 03-13-2006 at 07:11 PM.