Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: battery and charger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default battery and charger

not sure if this belongs here or newbie but i have been out of the loop for a few years. i am now looking into buying a scx10. what would a good battery and charger be for that truck. i dont need top a of the line charger i just need it to charge the battery.

Last edited by scarecrow; 11-08-2010 at 01:02 PM.
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

For a charger here you go... http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...3&cat=7&page=1 It is a good all around charger made by a company that stands behind their stuff! I started with one of these and have moved up to one of their big boys now!

Batteries... That all depends on what your setup will be and what you will be doing with it. Are you going to run lipo's of NiMh? How any cells? What Mh rating?

What is you budget for a charger and batteries? You are going to have people chime in here telling you that you can get "this charger on ebay for $19.99+shipping" and how wonderful it is. You get what you pay for when it comes to chargers! Personally I have about $3k in batteries. A few of which are very expensive 6s lipos! I would never trust a cheap charger to charge one of those!

Fill in the blanks for us and I can help you out a little more and point you in a few vendors direction on here that will take care of you
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Cheapbatterypacks also has some pretty killer chargers for a great price- with stateside warranty.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

thank you for helping me out here. i am going to be crawling not much more than that. i dont know what motor will be in the truck because i do not own one yet.it is going to be a scx10 or similar. i was going to try and do a package deal buy all from 1 place. i would like the battery to last more than 30 mins if that is possible. i dont care what kind of battery it is nimh , lipo..etc. i dont mind spending the money if its something worth while. but like i said i also do not need top of the line stuff.
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I am in the same boat. Making my return and this will be my first electric so all the battery stuff is new and confusing to me. After reading a long post by Chris_The_Battery_Man, I have decided based on his recommendations that all I need are NiMH for my crawler. So at this point that is all I am looking at.

As far as chargers, are there any good quality chargers that do not have a balancer (or is balancing recommended for NiMH too?) or Li-Po charging that can be had for less money than the Li-Po chargers?

I know some will say that I should buy for the future but I honestly believe I won't need to get crazy with upgrades because there is not really an r/c scene around here so I doubt that I will be doing more than backyard bashing.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Nimh is more expensive to run these days, just keep that in mind. With the low cost of do-it-all chargers it is hardly worth it to save a few bucks and get just a nimh charger. They really aren't all too common anymore either.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #7

There are a couple of decent chargers for 50-60$ I have an onyx 220. T charges nimh and nice for 60$ and it's got an adjustable current rate.It's pretty good but I wish I wouldve got one that can charge lipos too. I'm probaly going to upgrade to the charger that fits in your palm(the name escapes me) or a Hyperion with a built in power supply(606i??). Which ever you think you want but you should still think in the future. I bought the onyx 220 thinking I would never use lipos and now I wish I had a bought a lipo charger. Nimh batteries are kind of limiting. But do what you want. .
sushiman1841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Nimh is more expensive to run these days, just keep that in mind. With the low cost of do-it-all chargers it is hardly worth it to save a few bucks and get just a nimh charger. They really aren't all too common anymore either.
That is what I was checking...to see if there were good quality NiMH chargers out there that were only in the $20-25 range. But if I have to pay $60 for a good NiMH only charger than yeah...might as well fork over an extra $5-10 for one that does Li-Po as well. I do know for sure that I will be starting with NiMH simply because on top of buying the Axial, controller, batteries, charger, I cannot afford to also get a new ESC right off the bat. Thanks for the insight.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

http://cheapbatterypacks.com/?apage=...d=CBP6i50-ACDC
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thanks...that is actually the exact charger I was going to get before I started wondering about a NiHM only charger. That charger and a couple of your Axial AX10 split packs. I guess I'll stick with that original plan. Just wondering...would there be any advantage to selecting the 4000mAh cells over the 1500mAh cells? Worth the $4 increase in price per pack?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

They are alot bigger. You will add alot of weight to the truck, and lower your CG. They are a totally different size cell than the 1500's
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Ok...I'll stick with the 1500mAh. Thanks again.