Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: hmmm, got an idea. A radio using a real steering wheel and pedals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default hmmm, got an idea. A radio using a real steering wheel and pedals

Ok well i had this idea come to me by another person. But it sounds like it might be good one. Anyways i was thinking of actually having a steering wheel and gas pedals in front of you to drive a crawler, basically i researched the idea a little and it is completely doable. The simplest of way of doing this is by purchasing a already built steering wheel and pedals that are used for video games. Then dependent on which one you get will factor in the amount of mods needed to be done. So you replace the current hardware into it with radio gear, if i ever get around to it i will be using a flysky t6b or 9x. Then you simple take a lawn chair with you to the rocks, and sit down and enjoy. But i can't see this idea worked on much for crawlers do to the visibility needed and being able to flip your crawler back over if you roll over. So my idea went towards small track racing to where you would have a nice risen podium that you could sit down and relax while racing around the track with a real steering wheel and pedals in front of you. As of now i'm looking for opinions beings i'm already making 2 radios (one of which is done) and i'm not to sure how useful real controls would be on any type of rc.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Real life video game..It would be cool for short course stuff...It would be hard
not to look like a fool on track day though
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa1rch1ld View Post
Real life video game..It would be cool for short course stuff...It would be hard
not to look like a fool on track day though

True you might as well dress up like napoleon dynamite if your going to use this at a track.lol
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Got Worms?

I was envisioning a whole row of these along the podium. but yea wouldn't quite blend in so well. It would be a whole lot better on a private track i would think
Old 11-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Wouldn't be that hard to do. You could use the steering pot in the radio with the steering wheel and extend the throttle/brake pot to external control. OR, you could use an external rotary encoder (bl motor, old hard drive motor) for steering and pots for throttle/brake run into an Arduino...oh gawd, my inner geek just leapt out.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Wouldn't be that hard to do. You could use the steering pot in the radio with the steering wheel and extend the throttle/brake pot to external control. OR, you could use an external rotary encoder (bl motor, old hard drive motor) for steering and pots for throttle/brake run into an Arduino...oh gawd, my inner geek just leapt out.

No its actually real simple compared to what i have been doing. I pulled aprt a old ps2 steering wheel i have and it is all working off of pots and switchs. So now its just to get the radio gear to put inside of it.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
www.team3sixrc.com

They actually have this. Go to Disney,Six flags, or Busch gardens. All over the parks for $2.00 and you can drive bumper cars, race cars, or boats. It works! But yeah for crawling, not so much.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Our local World of Wheels car show has a vendor that shows almost every year with a similar setup and it's circle track with pan cars but there a big ass shifter that bumps the speed up as well as a gas pedal.

P.S. This is 10 year old technology in Minnesota.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote