Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: LIPO life without balancing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Jer
Rock Crawler

Default LIPO life without balancing?

I bought a new battery from someone local. I know I will get guff for it, but it's an Integy 3s 2200maH. For some dumb reason Integy built it without a balance plug and I can't add one because they also capped the ends with some sort of goo I can't get off. My question is, how long should my $10 battery last just charging and discharging it without balancing it? And what could it do to my rig if I use it and it has a balance problem? Thanks
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The biggest danger is charging. One out of whack cell can cause the other two to overcharge and start a fire.

No telling how long it will last. Maybe 15 cycles, maybe 30.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Jer
Rock Crawler

noted, charge it in the asshole neighbors garage lol
Old 11-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
noted, charge it in the asshole neighbors garage lol
Or have Integy charge it.......
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Jer
Rock Crawler

I figure $10 was cheap enough entertainment.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Chances are the battery was made early on when lipos where new, they didnt have balance plugs because the issue was unknown at first. Usually batteries only become unbalanced because you hit low voltage cutoff. If you stay above that say 3.3volts and never go below you should be fine. This is assuming that the battery is balanced right now.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

thats what you get for buying integy.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Jer
Rock Crawler

The battery appears to be entirely unused, not a single scuff on it. I paid $10 knowing it was Integy, so honestly I don't even care if it lasts two charges. I didn't notice it didn't have a balance plug until the day after. Who knows, I may dig away at the goo and put one on it anyway.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
RCC Addict

If you don't charge it too hard, and don't discharge it too far (as mentioned before), it'll last a good long time. Assuming it is good to start with. Batteries go will go bad with time, even with no use. Buying used batteries is a gamble.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I had a few. They said the battery was 20C, when I got them they say 20C burst, 15C con. I emailed them, because for some reason they dont have a phone number, HMMM??? I was told thats how many co. rate there batterys. I said, ahh NO, It's just integy. I have cycled them over 15 times with no problems, but with the low C rating they swel and give up on a LCC so I used them for display. We stuck them with a nail on a stick and watched em burn.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

mine lasted almost 50 cycles before it crap out....X3 on the above mentioned, if you don't over discharged and charged you should be fine
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Had an OG thunderpower before they had balance taps on them and it went for almost 4 years before it finally just didn't want to charge anymore. Then I've had newer ones that have been balanced and didn't take any more then 20 cycles.... Luck of the draw and being smart about how you treat them is what it comes down too
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I never use my balancer but if my shop burns up I might cry.
rockn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Had an OG thunderpower before they had balance taps on them and it went for almost 4 years before it finally just didn't want to charge anymore. Then I've had newer ones that have been balanced and didn't take any more then 20 cycles.... Luck of the draw and being smart about how you treat them is what it comes down too
I had the very same experience too.

I always balance charge my packs but sometimes they would give up the ghost and puff regardless.

It truly is the luck of the draw. Funny thing is that the HK packs I bought have outlasted a few "name brand" packs at a fraction of the cost. Now if only ROAR would approve the HK packs.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I would dig out the goo and wire it up. That $10 will probably go a long way. And invest in a lipo bag for charging/storage. Also, I have 4 Integy 2S 5000 35C for my touring cars and revo, and they have been great batteries. Zero issues, well one, not ROAR Approved, but I don't have any sanctioned tracks anywhere near my house. Integy is def an aluminum casting suck house, but their motors, electronics and accessories have been decent for me.

Cheers,

Rob
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

I still have some of my original lipos from before they even offered balancing taps. They are still going strong.
awdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
It truly is the luck of the draw. Funny thing is that the HK packs I bought have outlasted a few "name brand" packs at a fraction of the cost. Now if only ROAR would approve the HK packs.
HK has to send them in to be ROAR approved.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
HK has to send them in to be ROAR approved.

Here's a start http://www.hobbypartz.com/roar.html
Broken40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer9876 View Post
Chances are the battery was made early on when lipos where new, they didnt have balance plugs because the issue was unknown at first. Usually batteries only become unbalanced because you hit low voltage cutoff. If you stay above that say 3.3volts and never go below you should be fine. This is assuming that the battery is balanced right now.

Thats' not entirely true. Generally, lipos will go out of balance when the cell quality is poor. The IR of the cells will be off, causing one of the cells or more, to discharge faster. This still happens today, with new packs, being used with a balancer. With all the factories out there, rushing themselves into the lipo market, there is ALOT of crap. The reason that the cells may go out of balance on an over discharge, is because it is amplifying the IR differences.

So to answer your question, it is a fire hazard on the charger more so than anything. I say, for the 10 bucks, use it, but charge away from anything flammable, and just keep an eye on it. Dont leave it un-attended.

I have seen lipos go up to 4.5v without catching fire. Not to say that, that's safe, just to say that lipos arent as touchy as most people think. Be smart, and use common sense.

I wouldnt try to separate the goop either. You risk pulling the lining from the guts of the lipo, making an air gap. This will make the cells puff. Hope that helps.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
Thats' not entirely true. Generally, lipos will go out of balance when the cell quality is poor. The IR of the cells will be off, causing one of the cells or more, to discharge faster. This still happens today, with new packs, being used with a balancer. With all the factories out there, rushing themselves into the lipo market, there is ALOT of crap. The reason that the cells may go out of balance on an over discharge, is because it is amplifying the IR differences.

So to answer your question, it is a fire hazard on the charger more so than anything. I say, for the 10 bucks, use it, but charge away from anything flammable, and just keep an eye on it. Dont leave it un-attended.

I have seen lipos go up to 4.5v without catching fire. Not to say that, that's safe, just to say that lipos arent as touchy as most people think. Be smart, and use common sense.

I wouldnt try to separate the goop either. You risk pulling the lining from the guts of the lipo, making an air gap. This will make the cells puff. Hope that helps.

Just asting like he knows something about lipos.... sheesh! heh-heh. Good advice!
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote