Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: best lipo to use with an FX-R/Fx-R pro?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default best lipo to use with an FX-R/Fx-R pro?

Hi! Quick question, needed to pick up some extra lipos, and was looking for some suggestions for what to look for?

i'll be running two set ups, one with an fxr esc with a holmes hobbies 45t torqumaster pro handwound, and another with an fxr pro esc with a 35t holmes hobbies torquemaster sport....

im looking for something that would give me enough power to get the most out of the torque from those hh motors when i need it but still have a high level of longevity sustained...not sure if knowing just the above would help or if it also depends on other factors..

Thanks for the suggestions!
inebriatedmarmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Well,

As of now, I haven't seen something that can out perform the Elite batteries. The 1000 or 1300 in the link below would be killer. They should be back in stock in a couple days.

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?menu=C1AE3BG841

Info on em:

While testing Elite against others we found big C Rating trickery
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

He's right. Elite are top notch. I personally use thunder power g4s, but to each his own. Stick with 'at least 3s and over 800mah. They won't steer you wrong. Gl.
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Just picked up some new batteries at the iHobby show from a new vendor called Zeus (www.powercellbattery.com).

The 3S 850mah is rated 25C and burst to 42.5 amps. They seem to be good packs and small enough to stash in tight chassis. Best of all they cost around $15 and has Deans power and XHT balance taps.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
RCC Addict

BTW the FXR or FXR Pro work well with either a 2S or 3S pack but if you're using a very powerful servo you need to use an external BEC with 3S.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

What kind of run times are you wanting and what kind of space do you have for a pack?
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions fellas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
BTW the FXR or FXR Pro work well with either a 2S or 3S pack but if you're using a very powerful servo you need to use an external BEC with 3S.
On the set up with the fxr it's a crawler king chassis with a hi-tech 7599tg, and i've been doing ok w/o an external bec but have been thinking of getting one since it was suggested....would a castle creations bec be a decent choice for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
What kind of run times are you wanting and what kind of space do you have for a pack?
and as far as run times, im looking to maximize that, the lipos i have now are from hobby people 7.4v 5000mah 35c (http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-case-4mm.html) and can get well over several hours on those so definitely looking to still get at least couple hours or as much as i am getting with the HP lipos. those can fit just fine in the CK's battery bay

on the set up with the fxr-pro, it's on an ax10 chassis with proline's tuber body which the fxr-pro's small footprint really helps out, but the battery would still need to be a bit smaller than the hobby people lipos i have. I have been able to get those to fit, but had to cut half circles on the end of the cover that comes with the tuber body so that the red/black wires can plug into the lipo (see pic) and have the wires then come up and down through my makeshift hood...like this http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/album...ictureid=13107

so for the ax10, yeah, im looking to find a smaller sized lipo since i do have the panels for that body, but i don't want to have to put a hole in the hood ha, and still not lose too much runtime yet still have the juice to get the most torque out of my holmes hobbies torqumaster sport, oh also, the servo on the ax10 is just an airtronics 94162, nothing fancy

so the elite lipos would be best? i like the size and would want the most runtime, so i guess im looking at the elite 1300's but am not sure which voltage rating would be best with the fxr-pro/45t torquemaster pro/7599tg... using the 7.4v HP lipos has been fine, but would i have any problems getting a 3c 11.1 or 14.8? is that too much? if im understanding right, if i did, i probably would need a bec, tho i thought the fxr/pro could handle 3c too, just not sure how well. Or would the thunder power series be better? i.e. the 1350mah's?

or any other brands someone out there can contend the elites with? heh

thanks so much again dudes!

Last edited by inebriatedmarmoset; 11-12-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Elite or Thunder Power which are both available at

www.cheapbatterypacks.com
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The Castle BEC is what I use and it's fine. You need to get or borrow a castle link to set the output voltage.

If you only use a 2S pack then you don't need the BEC, however, if you wish to use a 3S (11.1V) then you will need the BEC to bypass the FXR's BEC. As you go up in voltage the current goes down and the FX series is only rated at 3amp with a 2S. If you use a 300+oz/in servo you will need a BEC on 3S.

Other than that it's a great ESC, I have three FXs, four RSs and two RX8s.

I just picked up a Novak M2 for a MOA and I will be using the BEC to drive the servo.

Those batteries I suggested can easily be placed in a tuber and the run time should be around 20 to 30 minutes, enough to finish two comp course and a practice.

Last edited by AreCee; 11-12-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
The Castle BEC is what I use and it's fine. You need to get or borrow a castle link to set the output voltage.
Setting the output voltage means setting the max voltage that it would regulate up to, right? and how do you know what output voltage should be the right setting to set to or what factors determine that?

Quote:
If you only use a 2S pack then you don't need the BEC, however, if you wish to use a 3S (11.1V) then you will need the BEC to bypass the FXR's BEC. As you go up in voltage the current goes down and the FX series is only rated at 3amp with a 2S. If you use a 300+oz/in servo you will need a BEC on 3S.
So if i don't make the just in voltage from 7.4v(2s) to 11.1v(3s) i should be fine without a BEC (for now) with the hi-tech 7955tg if I just go with a Thunder Power 1350mAh 2c/2S 7.4 or a Elite 1300 7.4V 35C ?

I was just planning to get two of each for now...until i can get the BEC, also when i do get one, there's nothing i'd need to change/set if i wanted/needed to run a 2c/7.4v lipo, right?

Thanks again all! and yeah, I totally agree the fxr's are awesome esc's! definitely one of the best.

Last edited by inebriatedmarmoset; 11-13-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:57 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

was hoping to get my inquiries affirmed above especially with the fxr+7955tg set up and NO BEC, but I just went ahead and bought 2 x Thunder Power 1350mAh 2c/2S 7.4's and 2 X Elite 1300 7.4V 35C's

i guess i should be ok with these 2s packs and the fxr with the 7955tg and fxr-pro on the other rig, servo on the that one isn't as big a powerhouse as the 7955tg....

thanks again anyway, AreCee, Rig Rocker, FailedAb, Addict and Chris! for the suggestion/advice

Last edited by inebriatedmarmoset; 11-15-2010 at 07:57 PM.