Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HS-225MG Genocide!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default HS-225MG Genocide!

So as the title states Ive managed to kill a number of 225MG's(4) in a matter of days on my VP dig. The EPA's are correct for sure, Ive tried setting them super conservative w/the same fried results. I should state that I am burning up these servos within minutes of test driving on hardwood floor as I cycle through the dig. I tried powering the servos through a CC BEC at 6v as well as just using Rx power and same result. I have also overhauled my VP dig internals w/no luck. My radio is a KoPropo Eurus w/KR-408S also tried KR-407S.

Any insight on my dilemma would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a photo for those visual people
prifral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

i never have had luck with the stock pcb in those 225's i burnt mine up within a few mionutes as well but instead of buyin more i just take the pcb out of a standard servo and wire it in and no more problems
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
i never have had luck with the stock pcb in those 225's i burnt mine up within a few mionutes as well but instead of buyin more i just take the pcb out of a standard servo and wire it in and no more problems
i have had no luck with the servo's either! i contacted hitec about mine and they didn't want to do anything about them..... but i don't have a proof of purchase to show the date though...

what standard servo are you taking the pcb out of??
i've tried and couldn't get it to fit sorry about the Thread jack
Twisted Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Only thing I can say is Futaba S3102, they are pretty much the same rating as the 225 but they are tiny AND I haven't burnt mine up. I have burnt up 225s but never my S3102 and I'm not easy on the poor little fellow.

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Your radio is burning them up, I use the KO EX-5UR and had the same issue with 85mg's. I paid a little more for a digital mini servo and was good for the next year until I switched to moa. All it took to burn the 85 mg's was to plug them in without a horn even installed, they would twitch and get hot until they burnt.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I've also had bad luck with these crappy servos (2) used with my R1 dig unit. The servos burn out in the first few minutes. I'm also using a KO Propo Eurus.

Switched to a Hitec 625MG and so far no issue at all.
brownie529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
I pondered that idea as well, I just wasnt sure a standard size PCB would be compatible w/the mini's potentiometer. Good to know for the future for sure because I have all these dead 225's and a couple of dead standards as well. What standard PCB's have you had luck with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
Only thing I can say is Futaba S3102, they are pretty much the same rating as the 225 but they are tiny AND I haven't burnt mine up. I have burnt up 225s but never my S3102 and I'm not easy on the poor little fellow.

Kieren
Might have have to give that a try if I cant fix my 225's with a standard PCB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Your radio is burning them up, I use the KO EX-5UR and had the same issue with 85mg's. I paid a little more for a digital mini servo and was good for the next year until I switched to moa. All it took to burn the 85 mg's was to plug them in without a horn even installed, they would twitch and get hot until they burnt.
Interesting - I also have the 5UR but have never ran mini servos through it. Also never heard of digital radios burning up analog servos solely for that analog on digital reason. Are you suggesting that this problem is only inherent in KO systems?
prifral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

well it can't just be the KO systems, because me and the wife run spektrum units (DX3R & E) and we have 4 dead 225's, one of which melted the board

BTW: i've switched to the 85MG and have had no more issues.
i think the 225 servo's are just SH*T!

Last edited by Twisted Nuts; 11-14-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Twisted Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

wow i have used a 225 (plastic gear) on my losi all summer long at 7 volts with no problems on a dx3r
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
RCC Addict

It's the speed of the system, 3r's let you adjust to a slower frame rate to stop the issue.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
RCC Addict

81mg FTW
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I cooked one of these myself and realized it had everything to do with the fail safe settings when using a spektrum setup. I purchased a new servo rebound, set the epas and have not had problem since. If the servo does not know where the true center is (failsafe setting) then it is hard to get a consistent EPA in my experience at least.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I used this servo too way back when I actually had a rig with dig on it (running an original VF dig). After setting the EPAs, never had an issue running it with my DX3r. It's always a bit hit and miss with the smaller servos though.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by prifral View Post
I pondered that idea as well, I just wasnt sure a standard size PCB would be compatible w/the mini's potentiometer. Good to know for the future for sure because I have all these dead 225's and a couple of dead standards as well. What standard PCB's have you had luck with?
i dont know of any pcb from a sandard that fit so on mine i put shrink wrap around it but the servo i took the pcb out of was towerpro 995mg since i broke the gears in it and it works fine and it has no twitching like my 995 did when it was working just extended the wires to go out of the case a bit, i also used an associated servo pcb on another
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote