Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: cooked Tekin 35T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default cooked Tekin 35T

I was running the Willys today when all of a sudden it started to run really bad, it started to go slower then it died. I knew the LiPo wasn't dead so I figured I broke another R2 but when I got home and took the motor/R2 out, I could smell the motor.

I separated the motor and tranny then opened up the motor. This is what I found.

I'm not trying to blame this on Tekin, I'm just trying to figure out what happened. This motor/esc combo is only about 8 months old.This motor hasn't been in water or mud and I'm only running a 3s through it using a FXR 'speedy'. Any ideas as to what went wrong?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
www.team3sixrc.com

That comm looks really worn out bro. and 8 months without any type of motor maintenance is pretty normal in my opinion. It was ready to fail.

Have you ever considered getting a lathe?
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Ive been running those same motors but 45's for over a year now, Have not touched them sense I installed them.
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
Ive been running those same motors but 45's for over a year now, Have not touched them sense I installed them.
I have a Tekin 35T motor that is at least 18 moths old that has been under water, in the mud and snow and any other type of abuse that you can think of and it still runs strong! I'll douche the motors with a motor spray every once in a while, but besides that I don't touch them.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
www.team3sixrc.com

well you should maintain your motor every few runs. Crawling motors don't take as much abuse as say a touring motor or offtrack motor , but it still wise to clean them and maintain the comm.

Even John Holmes and Eddie O will tell you that. Unless you don't mind throwing down $55.00+ every 3-6 months, then you get what you get. but that Comm in the picture is pretty pretty thin. My guess is the brush caught it and tore it off. It is very clear from the pics that the Comm has been worn down. I can personally tell you it is important to keep them maintained to keep a good running motor. You do loose contact with your brushes as they look pretty well worn up as well and should also be replaced regularly.

I offer this information on my website for free. though it hasn't really been updated. it still holds 99.8% true for everything on there.
http://www.team3sixrc.com/electronics101.htm

Its not very expensive for a comm lathe and I believe it is a necessary item as a pair of pliers or hex wrenches.

I have never used the Integy ones, but they are pretty decent.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLBB7&P=7

Hudy may be more than what you want to spend. but a good lathe none the less and worth every penny.
http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...9d50ac3048a033

team Cobra also has some great lathes.
http://www.teamcobra.com/cobra/comlathes.htm

Last edited by team3six; 11-14-2010 at 08:04 PM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Team3six- thanks for the links and info, it will get put to use. I have a mini lathe, so it shouldn't be a problem to use it for turning the comm.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Could of been multiple things, but certainly not a defect....hung brush, excessive amp draw, a little rock, etc...its tough to figure out sometimes.

You can just replace the arms and brushes.....and should be good to go, assuming there was no major damage to the inside of the endbell (can't tell from the photos).

I sell replacement arms on my site.......

Motors are like woman.....take care of them and they will treat you well.....ignore them, and they will explode on you and you will have to get a new one....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the feedback EddieO. I wouldn't even know where to begin in regards to fixing this mess, I'll just toss it into the 'carnage box'

I was just surprised at how badly it failed considering that I've treated this motor better than any of my other ones, now I'm afraid to look at all of my HH Torque Masters....
Old 11-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Motors are like woman.....take care of them and they will treat you well.....ignore them, and they will explode on you and you will have to get a new one....
LMAO that is so sig material

sorry off topic
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote