Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle Creations kicks ASS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Castle Creations kicks ASS!

I just wanted to post up, and pimp the fact that Castle Creations is hands down the sh!t. I am not one to make like a sheep, and follow the crowd. Too many people run that Tekin and HiTec junk. I am a Nomadio, Futaba, and Castle kinda guy. Why, might you ask? Because the stuff is reliable. I know that some people have different luck with different brands....

But this weekend @ our ORCRC comp, I dunked my truck to the middle of the windshield, and felt the need to keep on going. The 2 Mamba Micro Pros, CCBEC, and Spectrum RX were completely submerged in water that actually took the life of 2 Novak 45T motors in the front of my comp rig, and 2 45T motors on Grovers rig. I drove out of it. Had to take a repair because the front motor died. But a buddy let me borrow a spare 45T motor. Put it in, went and finished the course with no problems.

I have been running Mamba Micro Pro ESC's on 4S lipo for about a year now with no problems what so ever. Do I recommend putting your truck in the drink with these? No. But it just goes to show that just because everyone uses brand X, doesn't mean it is the best. Open your minds....
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yeah man, CC is the $hit
Tekin
Novak
Alway had bad luck with those two
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

No joke. I've been running their electronics in a LOT of my RCs for a while now and am happy with them!

They also have great Customer Service. Thomas has fixed many of my issues (even the ones that were caused by this idiot trying to "fix" something)....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

mamba micros do what thet're supposed to and MORE!!!!!!!!!!!
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
RCC Addict

That's exactly why I won't run anything but castle products. Its also nice to see the waterproofing works as intended.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Hello,

i run two Micro Sidewinders in my new Berg and love them. The software and
firmware support of CC is awesome

Greetings Frank
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Hitec servo's have always been reliable for me...but I've never dunked mine either. Castle and futaba are the only ones I will run for esc/rx

What size shrink wrap do you use on your micro's?
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
Who, me ?

It's a "stick" battery size. I put the two Micro's batchwise beside a CC BEC
on a "U" shaped Lexan pice and wraped them. The whole package weights
with 16AWG motor/battery/Rx wiring about 1.78 oz.

BTW, before i wraped them i sprayed some wet protect over it.

If you don't mean me, sorry

Greetings Frank

Last edited by Dr.Frank; 11-15-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have a few Mamba Max Pro's in my other cars and have nothing but problems with them.

To the point where they have been replaced by EzRun's in my off-roaders and XeRuns in my Touring cars.
They cog like a bugger and are no where near as fast as the XeRun Esc, oddly enough although slower they also run hotter.
I've also had 2 fail, 1 of which went up in smoke.

Yes CC repaired/replaced them FOC, but all in it took 3 months before i had them back again.

The MMP's are now in my spares box.

So when i bought the Micro i was a bit cautious.
To be honest though it runs fantastic, no cogging, runs fairly cool even though i'm over geared and has so far it's been reliable.

So IMO CC do make some good products, they also make some crap as well though.

If Hobbywing did a EzRun or even better a XeRun to suit my MRC i'd buy it in a heartbeat.
In 2 years running and abusing those systems i've not had 1 failure or hiccup from the Esc's or the EzRun motors.

Only problem i've found are the XeRun motors aren't up to much.
After 2 failed i use other motors now.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by cbr6fs; 11-15-2010 at 06:35 PM.
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
Hitec servo's have always been reliable for me...but I've never dunked mine either. Castle and futaba are the only ones I will run for esc/rx

Well it depends on how I have configured them. I stacked them on top of each other and took out the on/off switch and case. Then I shrinked the BEC into it also. I will measure up in case you're interested. I believe a single one is like about 48-56mm one direction and 56-64 the other.

After this weekend, I am planning on ballooning them into a quick disco setup to change them into the XR and my current rig until I decide which I wanna go with. It may open lined for those that cant go through a foot of water
Old 11-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I agree with you on futaba, I only wish they would make a 7980 equivalent, as futaba servos and radios simply hands down THE best.

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
Well it depends on how I have configured them. I stacked them on top of each other and took out the on/off switch and case. Then I shrinked the BEC into it also. I will measure up in case you're interested. I believe a single one is like about 48-56mm one direction and 56-64 the other.

After this weekend, I am planning on ballooning them into a quick disco setup to change them into the XR and my current rig until I decide which I wanna go with. It may open lined for those that cant go through a foot of water
Single wrapped, I put some 1" on mine but it was a little big and the next size down I have is 1/2" so it was to small.

Cbr- I had cogging issues with mmp's in my jammin, the only way I could resolve it was adding a cap to the rx and they would work perfect.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

i have Swore by castle since i bought my first MM about 2 yrs ago

i now own 7 of their ESC's, 4 Motors, and 7 BEC's only had one problem when the MMP first came out, the sensor plugs had a cold weld solder joint and would break off had it fixed and havn't had any problems since
Twisted Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i never had much luck with any thing but Castle products.

as far as servo's go futaba is behind in the servo market.so i use only hitec. futaba servo's are way overpriced imo.

as for a radio i loved my first 3pm that was an fm, then got the first 2.4 3pm, now ive got the 3pmx and love it. i seen to many 5b's runaway with spektrum radios. so i'll stick to my futaba.
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #15
www.team3sixrc.com

[QUOTE=Chris_The_Battery_Man;2742949] I am a Nomadio, Futaba, and Castle kinda guy. Why, might you ask? QUOTE]

Because thats what War Pig is running

Come on bro, you can go on this trip plugging Castle gear, but lets face it. It's all in how one preps their electronics. I can dump my Tekin FX-R, a Holmes Hobbies 35T, a Common Sense BEC and my spektrum RX into the water and mud too and not launch anything. Because I take the time to prep my gear correctly but I am not all hey buy this and buy that becuse brand X sucks.

But hey, good luck with your campaign. I would like to better hear it from Bernie over there at Castle, but lets face it. THAT AINT GONNA HAPPEN!
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I'll stick with my Torquemaster!

HH all the way!
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn'Nburn View Post
I'll stick with my Torquemaster!

HH all the way!
HH torque master is a good one also
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #18
Got Worms?

I like da stuff mr holmes sells. torque masters and motors are top of the line. I have had his escs at insane temps before on my losi and they still work great. I hope he makes a brushless esc by the time i swap over to the puller pros
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmahala View Post
i never had much luck with any thing but Castle products.

as far as servo's go futaba is behind in the servo market.so i use only hitec. futaba servo's are way overpriced imo.
No way dude. The 9157 is the sh!t. I beat the living piss out of mine, and never had a lick of problems. In the same truck I had problems with JR, HiTec, and Airtronics. Although I love airtronics, the only one that was good, was the Futaba. I got it twice as hot as any other servo. The only thing that killed it was a piece of shrink came off in my wiring, and shorted out the servo, BEC, 1 ESC, and the RX. Otherwise it took way more abuse than anything out there that I have tried.

The HiTecs smoked too much on me. The JR's were hit and miss. I have seriously had at least 12 HiTec servos go up for no reason. So HiTEc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post

Because thats what War Pig is running

Come on bro, you can go on this trip plugging Castle gear, but lets face it. It's all in how one preps their electronics. I can dump my Tekin FX-R, a Holmes Hobbies 35T, a Common Sense BEC and my spektrum RX into the water and mud too and not launch anything. Because I take the time to prep my gear correctly but I am not all hey buy this and buy that becuse brand X sucks.

But hey, good luck with your campaign. I would like to better hear it from Bernie over there at Castle, but lets face it. THAT AINT GONNA HAPPEN!
No way dude. Tim had the nomadio before me, and I am sure he has had mamba maxs too. But I just use what works well.

As far as prep work, there is no waterproofing at all. It is all open. They were full of water when I pulled it out and still worked.

No campaign here. I just simply want people to know that these ESC's rock. Seen too many FXR's lose programing and fail. Knock on wood, but I have never once had any castle product fail. Not to say they don't. But I have yet to see one fail

Here it is. My buddy didnt get one of it when it was to the roof in water. Pulled it when the front motor went tits.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I have had and destroyed Tekin Novak and RTR ESC's to no Avail.

And this is in my trucks and my RC jets.

Castle Creations simply makes the best shit. The DB and throttle and all other tunes and tweaks VIA the Castle link are second to none.

And if something does fry, send it back.

i have fried 2 sidwinders a 32A Thunderbird and 4 BECs.

i paid shipping only and got new ones.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote