Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: what is the best 35T brushed motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #1

Cool what is the best 35T brushed motor?

I want to put a 35t brushed motor on my RC, but I have only had experience with silver can motors. would you help me to decide by telling me your experience with the different brands out there.

I have heard a lot of novak, tekin and integy. is there any other brand that I'm missing?.

if you have to choos between novak, tekin and integy motors (same specs) which one would you chose?
raolguio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Hello,

you missed Fantom, Holmes Hobbies and in my eyes the best motors Team Brood. Tell us a bit more about the car (purpose) you would like to put the 35T's in.

Greetings Frank
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster Pro. It's the $hit! Great torque, great wheel speed, and buttery smooth.
Mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Brood, holmeshobbies, fantom...all great motors
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #5

to Dr.Frank:

I will start a new project based in a SCX10. I want to create a scaler with some crawler skills, but the idea is not to loose to much speed in the process. Right now I have a wheely king with a 27T and 55T motor and my conclusion is the 27T has lack of torque and the 55T is too slow. I have read several threads that say the 35T is a motor with a good combination of torque and speed.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #6

have integy, tekin and novak motors less quality than the Brood, holmeshobbies and fantom motors. may you make a quality ranking among this brands? I'll appreciate it so much....
Old 11-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

A good quality handwound such as the Holmes Hobbies, Tekin, Brood, or Fantom will perform much better than a machine wound motor. If your budget allows go for a handwound.

I have run Holmes Hobbies 11T, 21T, and 35T Pro Handwounds and absolutely love them. Great quality and the 35T is a great 540 crawling motor.

If you are on a tighter budget you can opt for the sport motor. It is machine wound but still Holmes quality.

http://holmeshobbies.com/home.php?cat=17

I have used the Integy machine wound motors and while they work ok for a cheap motor, they lack the punch. I have not used any other motors.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

As Grizzly said, if your buget will allow it, go with a hand wounded motor.
It will have better efficiency, more torque and rpm's.

Greetings Frank
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
Got Worms?

Holmes hobbies is the only way to go. He has a specials now which are team motors and they are supposed to be a touch better than his others
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Holmes Hobbies.

100% best guy, products, and service.

and his stickers are cool
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Holmes Hobbies.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

So you guys obviously recommend the HH 35T's,

I have killed one of them, and the second is not far from being cooked. The timing IS set correctly according to Johns recommendations. But for the LIFE of me, I cannot keep his motors together! The one I have on the go right now got hot enough that some of the solder on the comm area flung off onto the endbell...Yet I usually keep an eye on the motor and it's never gotten hot, barely above luke warm at best. I don't run them through anything absurdly harsh, they see quite a bit of water but I try to keep out of the mud. The brushes and comm seem to wear abnormally fast and the comm is usually in pretty bad shape whenever I pull the motor apart. I am just not having any luck, any tips?
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I say Tekin Handwound.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Slowcrawl, it sounds like running through water is your issue. Do you clean and relube the motor after every run? You will be having the same problem with any motor put through those conditions. Since your comm and brushes are wearing very fast it is a good indicator that you are pushing the motors hard or putting them through bad conditions.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Yes, water is hard on them. They need to be kept after if running in water.

I was wondering, since brushes are fairly cheap, and armatures are pretty much unobtainable, would it be wise to run a soft brush if you are running in water frequently? Possibly extending the life of the arm? What are the drawbacks of running soft brushes other than more frequent replacement?
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Frank View Post
Hello,

you missed Fantom, Holmes Hobbies and in my eyes the best motors Team Brood. Tell us a bit more about the car (purpose) you would like to put the 35T's in.

Greetings Frank
X2 - Team Brood
hotrod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Why are armatures unobtainable? I have over 2000 armature blanks, not counting all the ones I have wound...I sell replacement arms on the site....I think John sells them too...

I'd use a super hard brush like XXX or something for the water before I used a soft brush....I personally hate the soft brushes, hence why I remove them from my teardowns and solder on good brushes. They were terrible on Stock and 19t motors, we only used them in mod....they only worked because of the crazy RPM we saw in 7t modifieds.....as soon as we went into a 10t or higher, we went right back to 767 or 4499 or the Fbrush.

Later EddieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevellian View Post
Yes, water is hard on them. They need to be kept after if running in water.

I was wondering, since brushes are fairly cheap, and armatures are pretty much unobtainable, would it be wise to run a soft brush if you are running in water frequently? Possibly extending the life of the arm? What are the drawbacks of running soft brushes other than more frequent replacement?
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Why are armatures unobtainable? I have over 2000 armature blanks, not counting all the ones I have wound...I sell replacement arms on the site....I think John sells them too...

I'd use a super hard brush like XXX or something for the water before I used a soft brush....I personally hate the soft brushes, hence why I remove them from my teardowns and solder on good brushes. They were terrible on Stock and 19t motors, we only used them in mod....they only worked because of the crazy RPM we saw in 7t modifieds.....as soon as we went into a 10t or higher, we went right back to 767 or 4499 or the Fbrush.

Later EddieO
I guess availability has improved since I tried finding a 35t arm for my warrior motor. (had to buy a new motor)

My thinking was that a softer brush would wear and save the comm. Never would have thought to use a hard brush, thanks for chiming in on this Eddie
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
Holmes Hobbies.

100% best guy, products, and service.

and his stickers are cool
x2
easleycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #20
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Yeah, we have armatures too. Plenty o 35's here or we can wind em up custom.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote