Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: setup + this battery...safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default setup + this battery...safe?

im new to LiPo batteries so bear with me.

battery i would like: http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-1800-74-Pack.htm

electronics: CC sidewinder, novak 55t, CC BEC, Hitec 645mg

im open to suggestions. im looking into lipo because apparently theres a very large run-time with them?

about how much run time would i get out of this?
LittleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Is it going in a honcho like in your sig?

I would go with a 3s or 4s pack if you already have the 55t
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Runtime depends on a lot more factors such as terrain, gearing, driving style, etc.

Generally in an Axial AX or SCX maybe you could get up to an hour but remember that your runtime may vary and can be significantly lower. However, continuous running isn't very good for the motor and your ESC will get warmer too.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Run time is run time regardless of the battery type. Terrain and throttle application are more determining factors.

What you get with Lipo is consistent run time, that is, the same power from start to finish.

So if you're looking for more run time go with a higher mAH rating and enjoy both. Also, I'd agree that a 3s pack will serve you better with a 55T motor.

In my humble opinion spend your money elsewhere for a Lipo; MA is overpriced and underpowered.

Read this and then contact Chris about a battery...more than likely you'll be able to get a higher mAH pack from CBP for the same price as the one you're looking at from MA.

While testing Elite against others we found big C Rating trickery

Last edited by CreepyCrawl; 11-18-2010 at 06:46 AM.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

well i have a 4500 MAH from CBP already. its just i keep hearing about how awesome Lipo batteries are and how people can sometimes get like 2 hours of run time out of them. back when i only had a venom 1800 on my wheely king i could get like 15-20 minutes out of it. i know id be fine with the 4500 i have but i was just trying to scratch the surface of lipo batteries. perhaps ill save the money and put it elsewhere on the truck and stick with this mAH battery because that would mean buying a new charger as well...
Old 11-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

get a 35t motor, that 55t will be a turd in the scx
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Agreed. Even a cheap 35T will increase the "fun factor" without losing any noticeable low end control. 3S will give it a nice kick in the butt for all-around bashing and burning up the trails, hill climbs or smokin' the rocks . A 7 cell nickel metal pack ain't bad either, if you don't have a lipo charger.

Last edited by TrailDawg362; 11-18-2010 at 03:30 PM.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDave View Post
im new to LiPo batteries so bear with me.

battery i would like: http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-1800-74-Pack.htm

electronics: CC sidewinder, novak 55t, CC BEC, Hitec 645mg

im open to suggestions. im looking into lipo because apparently theres a very large run-time with them?

about how much run time would i get out of this?
Dave if your wondering about run time with our 3s 1800 and the power system you have your looking at 45 minutes to an hour of solid runtime. Just remember that the life span of the 55T motor if run non stop like that will be shortened. Luckily they are cheap and easy to find. In my SCX-10 and my other axial based scaler I run with 45T motors and use our 3250 3S pack. I can take a rig out in the woods and go all day with no worries and unlike other brands ours our the only packs out there that are water sealed to keep your packs in even better shape if they encounter that huge mud hole that just calls out "come on run through me and watch the mud fly!!" back that up with our standard 3yr/300 cycle warranty and you've got nothing to worry about.

Give em call I'll get you what you want....... better yet what you really need.

888-654-4450

Jason
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

this sounds good. ill try to get in touch with ya jason sometime by next week. but i dont run full throttle. im a crawler. i only use the wheel speed when i have to and dont feel like using a winch.

however the only reason i liked the 55t turn is for the smoothness during lowend and precise movement. if i can have that and still gain some wheel speed ill go for that.
maybe a tekin hand wound 35t or something.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDave View Post
this sounds good. ill try to get in touch with ya jason sometime by next week. but i dont run full throttle. im a crawler. i only use the wheel speed when i have to and dont feel like using a winch.

however the only reason i liked the 55t turn is for the smoothness during lowend and precise movement. if i can have that and still gain some wheel speed ill go for that.
maybe a tekin hand wound 35t or something.
get a Homes Hobbies hand wound. im running a 30t and its awesome!
damn smooth low end, killer tourqe, and great top speed. ive bent 2 front cv axle shaft pins, broke 2 C-hubs, and broke 2 kuncles because of mine!

im running a sidewinder, HH 30t, and a hi-tec 645 steering servo all on a 1300mah 2s lipo 30-45 min of run time usualy, LOVE IT!

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 11-18-2010 at 04:53 PM.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote