Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Pinion question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Pinion question

Ok, I have a 55t motor with a 14t pinion running on a 2 cell lipo. If I put a20t pinion on will it increase my wheelspeed enough to make it worth it? Also will I lose to much torque to make it worthwhile? I know you guys have the answer Thanks.
401jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #2

Im running an 18t pinion on the same 2 cell lipo and 55t motor and it seems to have quite a bit of wheel speed but not much torque (at least enough for my liking anyway). I wanna drop down to maybe the 14-16 tooth range
crfnick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, a 6 tooth jump is pretty big. You will see a big increase in speed, it will just take you a while to get up to speed because your torque will go right in the crapper. Recommend only going up 2 at a time.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

What ESC are you running? You will get more out of a jump to 3S if your ESC can handle it, more wheel speed AND more torque
tigman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigman250 View Post
What ESC are you running? You will get more out of a jump to 3S if your ESC can handle it, more wheel speed AND more torque
3s will defiantly make a huge difference in speed and torque, when I went from a 7 cell nimh to 3s it was like night and day. The extra wheel speed and punch from a 3s is very useful to me. Also depending on the battery you have/get it is a lot lighter to, so it doesn't affect where the battery is placed.
ax-10 crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigman250 View Post
I'm running the rooster crawler so I'm alittle nervous about running 3s without a external cutoff which I can't afford. Thanks for the info guys
401jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 401jeeper View Post
I'm running the rooster crawler so I'm alittle nervous about running 3s without a external cutoff which I can't afford. Thanks for the info guys
Buy a lipo alarm, I got one from eBay for $5, buy one for your cell count (3s) and iwarns you when your battery is low. Ran one with my Rooster Crawler ESC for quite a while until I upgraded to a bigger ESC. It's a good cheap way to go to the next level without damaging anything!!
tigman250 is offline   Reply With Quote