Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin RS with Micro Mongoose Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Tekin RS with Micro Mongoose Help

I had a novak micro mongoose system in my MRC. The Novak ESC does not like 3s lipo batteries at all so I decided to upgrade my ESC to a Tekin RS as it can handle Sensored and sensorless motors. So thought I would have no problems with the novak motor on this ESC.

I connected it all up with A to A, B to B, and C to C. The tx is set to normal for throttle. However it runs backwards, forward throttle causes truck to move in reverse. I reversed the channel on the TX while this works, I don't get the true function of the ESC. Drag brake, full power in forward, etc, due to it thinking its actually going in reverse when I pull the trigger.

Now disconnected the motor and connected it back with A to B, B to C and C to A. Recalibrated the TX and ESC. Now with the TX set back to normal it functions as it should. Forward is truely foward and reverse is reverse. But the problem I have is there is a bad cogging issue going on. Also when I come to a ledge it will not crawl over it like the motor has no power.

I have also tried to disconnect the Sensor harness from the ESC and run it as sensorless, however when I do this it does not matter how I connect the motor it always runs in reverse unless I switch the channel on the TX.

I am at a complete loss and hoping I don't have to put in a motor. If so I will put the Novak ESC back in and just buy some 2s batteries as it runs fine with them.

Any help would be great.
tommygunzgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Also I don't have the hotwire software yet. I was wondering if with the hotwire software I could reverse the motor at the ESC instead of on the TX.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

im sure there is programming either with hotwire or by going through the lights that will reverse the motor if they have most of the adjustability of castle products.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have checked the onboard programming and cannot reverse it there. Not sure about through the hotwire. If it can be done that way I will buy one but want to confirm before. I know the hotwire will unlock alot of other features as well just not sure about the reverse.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #5

Hey let me know what u find out. Im having the same problem with mine.
wessel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessel101 View Post
Hey let me know what u find out. Im having the same problem with mine.
What I have done so far is just turn the power up on the reverse and brake all the way up and reversed the channel on the TX this seems to work but the truck rolls backwards really easy with this setup. This is with it connected A to A, B to B and C to C, so I don't have any cogging issues.

I contacted Tekin and was informed that I could reverse the motor on the ESC just has to be done with the Hotwire software. So sometime this weekend I will making the purchase and know more by following week if the hotwire software fixes it.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You are going to fry either the motor or ESC running it like that. Although it runs, it is not commutating in the proper sequence. You just got lucky that it runs because 5/6 of the time it does nothing or just jiggles when you start swapping wires around.

Use the software to reverse motor direction. You cannot switch motor phase wires without also switching sensor wires to effectively reverse a motor.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You are going to fry either the motor or ESC running it like that. Although it runs, it is not commutating in the proper sequence. You just got lucky that it runs because 5/6 of the time it does nothing or just jiggles when you start swapping wires around.

Use the software to reverse motor direction. You cannot switch motor phase wires without also switching sensor wires to effectively reverse a motor.
The motor wires are connected right. A to a, b to b and c to c. They are not marked on the motor for the mongoose. I had to look at my other Novak motor to figure which color wire was a, b, and c off the motor. Switching the wires was just a brief test in the beginning bc i did not know which color wire was which point on motor so wasn't sure if it was connected right.

With the wires switched as mentioned above it ran in right direction but performed horrible so it was instantly switched back. And channel was reversed on tx. After researching it I found what wire was a,b,c so when that's how I knew a-b,b-c,c-a ran it right direction. Otherwise I would have never known what wire was connected where.

When I get home tonight I will post up what wire color is a,b,c so it might help some one else out.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Taking an amp meter and checking the no load amperage is a good way to make sure a system is hooked up proper. These small motors should only see one or two amps at most during no load. If there is more, it is hooked up wrong.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote