Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dual Mamba micro Vs dual FXR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dual Mamba micro Vs dual FXR

I'm looking to run this in my XR10 with wantAsummit's DX3E mod. for front/rear bias control.
I have ran Sidewinders in my rigs for years without any probs. And love them but I have never ran dual esc's. I already have the castle link and it looks like the Mambas are a bit cheaper but I don't know the pros and cons.
Any advice?

Last edited by Frank Rizzo; 11-21-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Frank Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I run dual mamba micro pros in my berg and am quite happy with them!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Will I need any type of dig in this set up or will just "killing the motor" work. I just want to be sure it will be as strong as my Punk dig with the single esc
Old 11-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I am not familiar with that radio or the mod that you plan to do with it, but if it will allow you to adjust the percentages of motor bias for each motor, then you should be set.

I run the dual MMPs with my Nomadio React and have two switches setup per ESC....one switch will adjust motor %, the other is instant dig (0% motor)....and the same for the other ESC. My second switch is exactly like a punk dig.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

So is it just the price that makes these better than the fxr? They look a tad bit larger and the internal resistance is not as good as the fxr. Not that the resistance matters to me, that is just one of the few differences i can find. Just asking.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

For me its Castles programming software and low speed resolution that I like most about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
So is it just the price that makes these better than the fxr? They look a tad bit larger and the internal resistance is not as good as the fxr. Not that the resistance matters to me, that is just one of the few differences i can find. Just asking.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I run 2 FXR's with no complaint...I'm sure running dual Mamba Micros will do the
job just as good or better.
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
For me its Castles programming software and low speed resolution that I like most about them.
Makes since, all i have ever run is the Fx-R, single ESC with servo'd dig. The low end start isn't too smooth but i could tune it out a bit with some effort.

I am also in the market for two new ESC's.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have been running dual micro sidewinders for about a year now with no problems but I'm going with some mamba micros with my new build with some brood motors, I like the castle software aswell the programming is easy and the esc's are pretty smooth, and with the 213% drag brake it stops very well.
landon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have run dual FXR's and I just bought dual MM's to run in mine...right off the bat I noitce a nice small package with no extrenal cap's...I really hate those extrenal caps on the fxr....I feel the start up on Castle esc's is alot smoother then the FXR's too..(start up comparison for me is FXR vs Holmes esc's)
if the micro mamba's I just got are as smooth as my HH BR-xl's then I will be in love..
and yes the castle link software is leaps and bounds better then the FXr hotwire software....
now if castle would make a apple/Mac compatiable link.....or maybe even an iphone app I would be in heaven..lol
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I originally had startup issues with my fxr but the newest firmware fixed the issue 100%. Now it is very smooth.

As far as which way to go...I really think that either option is a good option. Cant really go wrong.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
I originally had startup issues with my fxr but the newest firmware fixed the issue 100%. Now it is very smooth.

As far as which way to go...I really think that either option is a good option. Cant really go wrong.
yeah the update helped the fxr a ton...but it's still not as smooth as the castle esc's I have tried...
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i believe this was discussed here before .... not too many people were running dual mamba micro's then ......

i run mamba micros and have zero complains and problems ... smooth off the throttle and 213% dragbrakes care of castlelink ....

im gettin me another pair for another build!!!!
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Tahnx for the input guys. I am leaning towards the MMP's right now. I just hope santa is good to me.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
Will I need any type of dig in this set up or will just "killing the motor" work. I just want to be sure it will be as strong as my Punk dig with the single esc
I have a wantasmummit DX3E. You don't need a dig unit. Just the two FXR's (or whatever you decide to go with)
Gat714 is offline   Reply With Quote