Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need opinions on what would make a 4pk killer,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Need opinions on what would make a 4pk killer,

Well i've gotten bored with the flysky t6b 6ch encoder board with my current custom radio and i have done just about ever function i could think of, but this radio was limited to 1 advance application and usually compatible with simple 3 ch applications. So i am currently researching another encoder board to used which has many options. And alot of support concerning custom firmware and other types of hacks. So i'm gonna be ordering one of these radios soon and in the mean time write a custom firmware and put it through a simulator. So the problem is that i need to have a good outline of all the functions i want to have on this radio before i start writing code.

So as of now i currently own have a dual esc moa, so i am unsure of what all other functions that i should include into the firmware for each type of crawler from micros to 5th scale or bigger scale, comp, bashing, etc. I plan on programming a wizard into the firmware so you selct type of crawler then fill in what switches you want to do what and how they work

Currently what i know i can work from (base off one of the most advance custom firmwares made for this radio, better than 90% of name air brand radios)

Up to 16 model memories.
Multilevel flexible mixer - any input channel can be assigned to any output.
Mixers can be added, multiplied or set to replace other mixers.
8 5pt curves, 8 9pt curves with graphic visualization.
Expo and Dr for the 4 primary channels, split Left/Right with graphic visualization.
Throttle trim, throttle expo.
PPM input from the trainer port can be used as input to mixer.
Adjustable timer for each model. Can be activated by switches, throttle channel or throttle %.
Adjustable battery warning voltage.
Adjustable contrast.
Adjustable beeper.
Selectable trim increments.
Selectable PPM output - 4ch, 6ch, 8ch, 10ch, 12ch, 14ch, 16ch.
Selectable PPM pulse spacing.
Limits and offsets for each output channel.
Offset can be set with stick inputs.
Ch calibration.
Graphic or numerical representation of output values.
Throttle tracing.
Reverse throttle.
Can be programmed on an onborad screen or plug it into a computer
Back Light screen

Dependent on what i do build cost would be from $250-$1000 high build value will give more advance firmware, hardware, a more factory radio case (custom made), etc etc. So ideally twice if not triple the radio of the 4pk for around the same price

So let me know what you think a radio needs functionality wise even if no radio on the market can do it. Because if a radio can't do it i'll make it do it even if that means a mp3 player or heated grips
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

A cup holder would be Needed for me to consider spending 1000 bones on a radio.
dragrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I think you reach a point where you just don't need everything. I'm not bashing your idea, but for example I recently got an old school RC, pretty much nothing can be adjusted all i did was give it a clean and put some electronics in it, yet it was the most fun i've had with a 'go fast' in a long time! Sure it's all fine and dandy to say it's awesome, but think about it do you really need it? You need a few 10s of thousands of dollars in sponsorship and advertising for anyone to actually 'need' it Unless your really going crazy 4 channels and about 2-3 mixes is really all you need.

But in all honesty if you can get a radio to have a built in CC link and Hotwire I'd snap one up straight away

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrcr View Post
A cup holder would be Needed for me to consider spending 1000 bones on a radio.
Wouldn't be hard but where should i put it to maintain a good balance
Old 11-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
I think you reach a point where you just don't need everything. I'm not bashing your idea, but for example I recently got an old school RC, pretty much nothing can be adjusted all i did was give it a clean and put some electronics in it, yet it was the most fun i've had with a 'go fast' in a long time! Sure it's all fine and dandy to say it's awesome, but think about it do you really need it? You need a few 10s of thousands of dollars in sponsorship and advertising for anyone to actually 'need' it Unless your really going crazy 4 channels and about 2-3 mixes is really all you need.

But in all honesty if you can get a radio to have a built in CC link and Hotwire I'd snap one up straight away

Kieren
Well for the same price as a 4pk i might as well make one that is better right? and i'm bored.

Problem with putting in a cc link and hotwire is to make it work with the firmware, so i'm not sure if it can work or not easily done.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If your so bored, wanna help me get my feet wet with AVR programming? I need to make a DAQ device and another that will work an ESC with just a pushbutton. Not hard stuff, just waiting on parts right now.

What kind of language does this radio use for the firmware?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I think ease of setup and use would make it desireable. I have considered an interface where you could have a list of pre-defined crawler setups (4WS, dig-switch, dual-esc, winch, etc...). Just select what you want to do with it and the configuration takes care of itself. The screen would tell you which channels to plug into. Of course for the experts you may need an expert mode.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
If your so bored, wanna help me get my feet wet with AVR programming? I need to make a DAQ device and another that will work an ESC with just a pushbutton. Not hard stuff, just waiting on parts right now.

What kind of language does this radio use for the firmware?
Actually this is my biggest reason for doing this to to kinda get started in digital stuff, since i got analog radios down. i think it uses eprom or something like that. Only type of programming i have done is some minor editing in a few different types of web page code and i've done some animation programming for a format i don't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAsummit View Post
I think ease of setup and use would make it desireable. I have considered an interface where you could have a list of pre-defined crawler setups (4WS, dig-switch, dual-esc, winch, etc...). Just select what you want to do with it and the configuration takes care of itself. The screen would tell you which channels to plug into. Of course for the experts you may need an expert mode.
Yea thats what i'm going to do on the main menu there will be like a basic setup (trim and a few other things), setup wizard (it will have pre-made functions you just select what type of rc you have then type of setup), then a advance setup which will allow for all the features seen above (the current custom firmware already written), then a tab for general radio settings for the amount of chs of ppm (16 max but i don't know of a cheap rf module to handle 16 chs) low battery alarm, and stuff like that. But i need to to figure out what all the types of crawler setups i need to add even the ones not currently possible with a 4pk
Old 11-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
Got Worms?

Ok if anyone is feeling the need to learn more of what i got to work with already take a look at this, but its got 35 pages of stuff explaining how to use the radio i am using on my next project. So don't open it till you have time to get through it, i read bits and chuncks here and there when i got time http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk...rs%20Guide.pdf