Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Johnson 550 motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Johnson 550 motors

I picked up some Johnson 550's awhile ago which are available at AllElectronics and The Robot Marketplace (2nd from the top.) They're rated at 6-12V. I'm running mine at 7.2V in the TXT. Unfortunately I can only compare them to the stock 540's as I haven't run anything else in the TXT.

I started running the TXT with stock motors and 12T pinions. That was pretty cool but I couldn't get up on the tree stumps I was trying to in the woods next to my house. Something else I noticed was it seemed to have less torque when climbing with the right wheel going up first. I've no pics of it but with this setup I was able to climb these stairs at work that are just perfect for it, though only going up with the left wheel first.

Yesterday I finally put in the Johnson 550's with 9T pinions and today I went crawling in the woods. The pinions helped I'm sure but the motors upped the torque a lot more I think. Now I can crawl on top of the few stumps I couldn't before:

The low torque on the right side is gone; I haven't been back to the stairs but I could see the change going over the stumps and fallen trees. Current top speed is I'm guessing 5mph. I didn't think about comparing the motors for braking but the 550's are very responsive. Crawling time with this setup was ~30-35 minutes.
Mazlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Default Re: Johnson 550 motors

I fixed your image link. Looks good.

I can't believe the price of that motor 8O
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

So how do you like them overall? Are they good low RPM high torque motors? Are you running 1 or 2?
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I think we all went to fix it at the same time...

I'm running two motors. I don't know how they'd compare to MM's or lathes but they're way better than stock an you just can't beat the price for a budget crawler. According to the specs they run at about the same RPM's as MM's.

There were times when the motors would stall out but I think the truck could've made it up / over with a more powerfull motor. Either that or lower gearing; dunno which as I don't have a lot of experience yet. I'm going to put in the Mammoth gear reduction and keep these motors.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:29 PM   #5

Wait till you put in the Mammoth gear reduction, I used 1 stock TXT can with it and a 9 tooth pinion and I never stalled the motor.

Your going to LOVE the gear reduction!
Old 11-14-2004, 09:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Wait till you put in the Mammoth gear reduction, I used 1 stock TXT can with it and a 9 tooth pinion and I never stalled the motor.

Your going to LOVE the gear reduction!

What's your final gear ratio with that setup? I haven't found a ratio listed for the Mammoth reduction with 9T's. I've seen ratios with 8T and 13T; with 9T am I close in thinking 130:1?
Old 11-14-2004, 10:57 PM   #7

I don't know, I never figured that out.

I was running the stock can with a 9 tooth and the mammoth with was nice, but now I am running a Lathe 55T with a 15 T and the mammoth. I love the lathe motor! And I had to advance the timing a little to get some wheel speed.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:18 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I found kona_joe's TXT/Jugg Ratios spreadsheet again - http://home.comcast.net/~kona_joe/TXTJUGGRatios.xls

Going by that, with a 9T pinion I'll have a 132:1 crawl ratio. That'd be pretty sweet. What was your top speed with the stock motor and 9T? I'd like to keep it around / close to walking speed. BTW my current 30-35 minute runtime is with a 3000mah battery. Maybe with the redux I'll get a solid hour. How did yours fare?
Old 11-18-2004, 07:02 AM   #9

These motors were up on the www.rccaraction.com forums a couple months back. I bought 4 of them for 3.50 each. Anyway on the forums there, was a couple people who did a dyno test (with diagrams and charts) and found them to be more powerful/torque then the titans and just under the twin force motors. However there is one issue in that you cannot really run them at 14.4 volts on the twin force because they would over heat and melt the plastic backs.

When I got my 4 motors I had already come across this great website and found out how to make my EVX one battery capable and installed the GD-600. So now I have 3 spares for whenever or new projects. Heck for the price I wil just replace a motor rather than clean it and/or replace the brushes.
Cildein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 08:03 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I ran a set of johnsons on my maxx and they worked MUCH better than the stock titan garbage. I liked the torque they provided but I still stalled them even in series (no extra reduction just 9t and 76 spur). Im running 750's now and they dont stall unless the battery is wasted.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

HOB-10 Hobbyweight Geared motor
Looking for a nice compact gearhead motor for those robots in the 12-pound weight classs, or BattleBots IQ's new 15-pound class?

Look no further! This gearhead motor can provide a very fast, powerful drivetrain for your Hobbyweight robot, at a price that won't break the bank.

We've successfully tested these little workhorses at 6V through 24V, and we are very impressed. Lots of torque from a motor under 1/2 pound and a super zippy 500 rpm at only 12 volts!

Comes with ~4.5" leads and connectors. Gearhead face can be mounted through threaded holes.

this one would be nto bad if someone could turn the shaft down a bit for regular pinnions....it is on the heavyer side but i would say that would be made up by the specs...have a look on the second link on the first post
cborrowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 02:45 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I ran a johnson motor in my txt for about three mounths.I loved that thing I went from two in the txt tranny to one mabuchi,then to the johnson and it worked so much better,I ran in untill I got the one that I'm running now(in the forum "have you tried this motor") I also got the johson that I was running right before I sold my savage shelf qween.I got that truck stock .21 and upgraded .25..bla bla bla 600 later I sold it becuase I wanted more crawler money...(and gas can't beat that little MAC truck sound I get when barely moveing at full speed with the gd600 and goveing over anything in my way.) but one of the upgrades was a new roto starter...that upon brakeing in of the new .25 after three brief 3 sec tries to fire it the gears wheren't low enough,and toasted what I thought was the motor,but was just the button.I took it apart a while back being board and found that the motor was fine, and that hpi charges 50.00 for a johson,some plastic and a shitty switch!
MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote