Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: About to buy lipo's and a lipo charger but need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default About to buy lipo's and a lipo charger but need help

I'll most likely will be buying my stuff from CBP but have absolutely no idea what to look for.

Here is what I run:
Scalers, bashers, touring-rally-drift, and one crawler. I have about 4 1/10 scale scalers that get wet occasionally, sometimes a lot. The bashers I only run when dry or when the ground is pretty much dry already. I also have some very large 1/6 scale scalers I need to power. and the crawler is pretty much breand new to me so I need a mix of batteries. I'd like to get some hard case lipos 2-2s and 2-3s for the bashers "slash2x4, 4x4 MT2SC, grasshopper, drifters-rally-touring, and something else for the scaler, crawler, etc.

I only have 3 brushless ESC's two of which are Sidewinders and one mamba max, the rest is regular escs, So I know I probably need a lipo cut off or two for those esc's

Here is what I used to power them:
Stick packs, or a Custom 8 cell pack from CBP

I just need some help with a good charger, some batteries that don't die fast and some that can make my bashers haul a$$ but also last. I have a budget of $500 for the batts, charge and lipo cut off.

Any help, comment is appreciated
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

what about C ratings what are those for?
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #3

Cant really help you on what size you need, because thats pretty much personal preferance and based on how much room for a battery yout have, but as for a charger ive been using a imax b6 charger for years with no problems, i bought it from ecpower. Ive also been using ecpower lipos and lipos from hobbyking never had a problem with any of them!
six6six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Check out this thread for sure:
Definitive ESC, MOTOR, and BATTERY threads - RCC's top tech threads!

C refers to how quickly the pack can be charged or discharged. If a 2200mAh pack is rated for 10C, it means it can handle 22 amps continuous discharge. (2.2Ah x 10 = 22A). Most LiPos have a 1C charge rate...so for that 2200mAh pack, your max charge rate would be 2.2A. I've seen some recently that have charge rates greater than 1C, which would let you safely charge them quicker.

I can't comment of LiPos for fast stuff. Looks like bigger is better?

For crawling, I had a small Losi 2S(2cell, 7.4V) 1650mAh pack that would run forever. It died after a year, so I've got a 1300mAh battery from CBP in the mail. I'd like to use 3S packs for more power, but my ESCs won't handle them.

People say good things about the Hyperion chargers.
I'm using a Triton EQ, and it's worked perfectly.
92PathSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #5

Ice chargers are good, although they are DC only. The Onyx chargers are good simple chargers. I think for bashing the Hobby King lipos are perfect. For speed, the Thunderpower batts are good. C rating seems to be inconsistent between manufacturers. I would get a couple of different brands of batts.
scootgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #6

For the absolute cheapest, www.hobbycity.com. It's out of Hong Kong and can take a couple of weeks to get to you. If you want U.S. based, www.hobbypartz.com is next in line for price.

I have A lot of lipos from both places that I use on my airplanes and trucks.
idealhobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

PM'ed
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote