Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Budget Friendly Brush-less Setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Budget Friendly Brush-less Setup

I'm looking for a budget friendly brush less set up for an scx10 it will be used for crawling and bashing. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the sidewinder esc but I still have no clue about what motor to get.
bcaz808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If you are looking to crawl at all with a sensorless ESC, you need an outrunner. I have Revolver motors on sale if you are interested in something that will bolt in that has a proven track record.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
If you are looking to crawl at all with a sensorless ESC, you need an outrunner. I have Revolver motors on sale if you are interested in something that will bolt in that has a proven track record.
Oh wow I didn't even notice that the sidewinder was sensorless, I guess I'll have to cross that off, so it's gonna have to be either the novak goat or mamba max. What do you recommend?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Your not going to gain anything running a brushless motor and brushed tend to be more water friendly.
Your choice of ESC is fine, I run a Sidewinder myself in my scaler and it's perfect.
I had the Goat 2S/21.5 combo in another and didnt loose anything switching to a brushed motor.

The prefered combo for the SCX-10 is either the Sidewinder or Holmes and a hand wound 35 turn brushed motor.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by transambill View Post
Your not going to gain anything running a brushless motor and brushed tend to be more water friendly.
Your choice of ESC is fine, I run a Sidewinder myself in my scaler and it's perfect.
I had the Goat 2S/21.5 combo in another and didnt loose anything switching to a brushed motor.

The prefered combo for the SCX-10 is either the Sidewinder or Holmes and a hand wound 35 turn brushed motor.
Did you loose any speed switching to brushed?
I was going to go brushed with the setups you mentioned but I like the idea of brushless, better speed, run times and lower maintenance. I doubt I'll be running in any water although it would be fun and I don't really need the crawling advantage brushed has.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Actually I gained speed going from a 21.5 turn brushless to a 35 turn brushed. It runs about as fast as a box stock 2WD Slash.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

a decent sensorless brushless motor is allot more water/mud friendly than a brushed motor. I watched Mnster run his (HH) outrunner powered truck about 15' into lake michigan. The only thing that stopped it was the sand that jammed the gears. Ive personally ran my outrunners through some slop that would kill a lesser motor and have ran them on my outboard boats (which get soaked with spray) with 0 problem. My 700bb powered outboards (brushed) have to be cleaned and lubed after every run or they will freeze up with rust and corosion.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Sensored is water friendly if done right also, I can see a 21.5 and a 35 being about equal in speed, but it would take shitty tires and a loose slipper to not notice the torque drop unless you also went from 2 to 3s at the same time.

I started with a 2s goat 18.5 combo, when the sensor harness gave up the ghost before a comp one morning I had to buy a 45t from a local, god damn that was lame and boring. One course and I was looking for a 3s pack to borrow and didn't care if it blew my ESC or not cause I wouldn't gonna drive with that lame ass power. I couldn't even dig on smooth concrete cause there wasn't enough speed to do anything but pull the rear along behind and it bound up every time I had traction. I could break CVD's and dogbones at will with the brushless on 2s and even going to 3s the 45 didn't completely catch up and wheelspeed was still down. Now that ESC is in my scaler and after a good waterproofing I ditched the reedy 27t I had for a 13.5 and gained torque, smoothness and wheelspeed.

If your gonna go brushless the MMP is the best ESC by far.

Last edited by indiana mudcat; 12-23-2010 at 12:44 PM.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Actually I gained speed going from a 21.5 turn brushless to a 35 turn brushed. It runs about as fast as a box stock 2WD Slash.
Where you running the same battery on both setups because I know that can make a big difference?
Old 12-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaz808 View Post
Oh wow I didn't even notice that the sidewinder was sensorless, I guess I'll have to cross that off, so it's gonna have to be either the novak goat or mamba max. What do you recommend?

Mamba Max Pro, Goat, Losi, Associated, I think Tekin also. Go to Holmes Hobbies.....http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1 this motor combined with his speed cntrl will do it all. Speed, crawling and waterproof
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm0688 View Post
Mamba Max Pro, Goat, Losi, Associated, I think Tekin also. Go to Holmes Hobbies.....http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1 this motor combined with his speed cntrl will do it all. Speed, crawling and waterproof
Yeahit does do it all but its a little more than I'm looking to spend.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:20 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaz808 View Post
Where you running the same battery on both setups because I know that can make a big difference?
I did at first for trail running then switched to 3s after the 1st course during a scale comp. The speed was there but the torque wasnt.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I did at first for trail running then switched to 3s after the 1st course during a scale comp. The speed was there but the torque wasnt.
I have an old 2 cell Goat. I have heard some bad things vs. other systems but I think they are around $150 at tower right now. I don't know what your budjet is or if you have worm gears or how fussy you are. If you post again I will give you $.02 more.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

rc4wd has the outcry combo for 99.99 its a good price considering i payed 179 for the novak combo heres the link

http://store.rc4wd.com/Outcry-High-P...m-_p_1115.html
txcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:12 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Well guys after doing hours of searching and watching videos on youtube I think I might just have to go brushed with a HH BR-XL and a 35t on 3s. I've seen a couple videos of 35t's and the speed is definitely enough for me, and the price of this set up is really good too. If there's any cheap motors you guys recommend getting please let me know also if there's any you don't recommend lmk.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:50 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Pick up a HH 35 turn HW. Dont cheepout on the motor now, you'll be glad later that you didnt.