Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Strange issue with my Astro Blinky.. Or is it my MaxAmps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Strange issue with my Astro Blinky.. Or is it my MaxAmps?

So I have two MaxAmps 1100mAh 11.1V (3 cell) batteries, each rated at 50C burst. I also have my trusty Blinky balancer (my charger is a Super Brain 977 Pro; old I know but she does the trick). The issue I am having (with both batteries, no less) is that when I plug in the balancer, both during the 10-second detection and the actual balancing/discharging portions, the blinky activates the 2nd and 3rd LEDs from the negative side of the board, and upon completion and balancing the 4th and 5th LEDs flicker randomly. The first two LEDs never come on, for either battery. I will mention that both MaxAmp batteries are wired to the five-hole balancing plug in this sequence (from the ground): black, no wire, black, black, and red.

I do trust the MaxAmps guys to know their stuff, and I did perform the proper initial charges on both batteries (I use a plastic ammo can with those anti-skid mats glued down for lipo storage/charging), but to get only two cells (this is what I take the lights to mean) detected on BOTH batteries? I am too far out from my purchase date to discuss RMAing the batteries with MaxAmps.

To compare, I have ordered a ThunderPower 1320mAh 11.1V and the TP-to-Blinky adaptor for comparison, as this is the second most popular brand in my area, behind MaxAmps. If I see the same lighting configuration on the TP battery, I will likely have to assume that the Blinky itself has gone wonky.

It is also weird to me that, despite my attempts at caring for the batteries, one battery has already exhibited a permanent puff on one side. I am givingit the freezer treatment right now and a very slow charge afterward to see if this helps (maybe 10mA? or 0.01C).
dreadshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Your Blinky is expecting the batteries to be connected to it as a "stack" of 3 cells in series.

Meaning as follows from top to bottom on the Blinky:

Pin #4 = Top cell +ve (also Pack 11.1V +ve)

Pin #3 = Top cell -ve and middle cell +ve

Pin #2 = Middle cell -ve and bottom cell +ve

Pin #1 = Bottom cell -ve (also Pack ground)

If the pins on your batteries balance plug are not in this order (and they can't be because there is a blank spot (as you describe "no wire') you can't plug the Blinky straight into it.

Best thing to do is to sort out the balance plug wiring by checking it with a voltmeter and either:

1. Rearrange the wiring in the balance plug to suit the Blinky

OR

2. Make up an adapter cable that does the same thing.....

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Oof, looks like another adaptor may be the order of the day.. i also just found out that my charger may be best only as a quick charger, i may need to look into a Hyperion or some such for my general charging duties. Ah well, more to add to the "to-order" list...
dreadshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
MODERATOR™

No need for an adapter. Just move the pins over. Use the tip of an Xacto blade or something of the sort to pry the plastic lock back a little and the pin comes out easily.
Attached Images

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote