Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4S setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #1

Default 4S setup

After this last brushed motor wears out I would like to move to a 4S setup, after doing some searching I haven't seen any ESCs with a 4S rating. Can somebody recommend a 4S ESC and motor combo.

Thanks
Jason
jason46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason46 View Post
After this last brushed motor wears out I would like to move to a 4S setup, after doing some searching I haven't seen any ESCs with a 4S rating. Can somebody recommend a 4S ESC and motor combo.

Thanks
Jason
I'm currently running a fxr with a different cap on 4s. works very well . Dont try with the stock cap. Also have a castle sidewinder running on 4s with no mods other than external bec
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Mamba max pro and Holmes brxl both will run on 4 cell
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Glassman View Post
All the way up to 6S.

And if you're going to use the MMP with a Castle BEC, like you should, consider the 1S version of the MMP. Little less weight without the fan and internal BEC.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #5

I didn't think to consider castle, and that is my preferred ESC for helis. I will have to check out the brxl motors, are there other manufactures that produce a 4S motor seems like there would be quite a few in a 540-550 size. Im currently running a novak BEC.

Thanks for the info
Jason
Old 01-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I run a mamba max on 4s with 2 jp 35t handwounds in my moalosi
rock addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Glassman View Post
Mr. Glassman
Is the linked motor the one you referring to? Looks interesting and I'm a fan of outrunners.
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=19&page=1

Jason
Old 01-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Mr. Glassman
Is the linked motor the one you referring to? Looks interesting and I'm a fan of outrunners.

Jason
I was about to order the outrunner and realized it is not sensored. How much of a disadvantage is a non-sensored setup in low throttle situations?

Jason
Old 01-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I was about to order the outrunner and realized it is not sensored. How much of a disadvantage is a non-sensored setup in low throttle situations?

Jason
With a Losi, it's enough of a disadvantage to not spend the money on it for sure. Almost un-drivable due to the low speed cogging.
Shot-N-The Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I run a novak ballistic 21.5 on 4S, it works great! Escpecially with the HD worms released now, your going to want a little bit slower of a motor than the 17.5 most guys are going with.
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Mr. Glassman

Jason
the holmes hobbies brxl is his esc not a motor that only runs brushed. for a motor get something that is 21.5t with a mmpro
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdojack View Post
I run a novak ballistic 21.5 on 4S, it works great! Escpecially with the HD worms released now, your going to want a little bit slower of a motor than the 17.5 most guys are going with.
Sourdojack,

What ESC are you using?

Thanks
Jason

*Edit*
I like the pricepoint of non-sensored systems, but I don't want to deal with trying to tune-out annoying cogging.

Last edited by jason46; 01-02-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Sourdojack,

What ESC are you using?

Thanks
Jason

*Edit*
I like the pricepoint of non-sensored systems, but I don't want to deal with trying to tune-out annoying cogging.

I'm running a mamba max pro. I shortened the wires on the circuit board, waterproofed it and took the fan off

The slow speed control and glitchyness of a non-sensored system is going to bug you when competing. Spend the extra $50-$100 the first time, so then you don't have to buy twice. That's my recommendation.

TOM
Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Think of your ESC as a funnel...it won't let anymore juice pass than a 2S will give...if you use a 3S or 4S, the ESC will store the extra juice as HEAT...so it's pointless to use more than you need (and expensive)
rooktakesqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #15

Are you saying an ESC will output the same "juice" no matter if its a 2S or a 4S battery? So you're not going to notice a difference between using a 2S or a 3S battery?
I beg to differ on that. An ESC controls the amount of "juice" its pulling from the battery and sending to the motor.
An ESC is definitely not a funnel.
An ESC will let more juice than a 2S to pass through it.
Or maybe you're referring to your own ESC.....?
Russellx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

More voltage on tap, by running a 4S battery instead of a 2S battery, will give you more rpm out of your motor and smoother power delivery down at low rpms.

HEAT is created by a load, in our case its caused from the motor. The more load you put on the motor, the more heat you will create. If you keep a light load on your motor and up the voltage, heat is not increased.

That's my experience with ESC's and motors. I don't do it for a living, nor am I a scientist or engineer. That's just my 2 cents.

TOM
Old 01-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Default facts:

The cornerstone feature of an ESC is the fact that it's a resistor (V = IR)...all the other features are built on that.. voltages over 7.2 are stored as heat since 1/10 ESC's are designed only to allow 7.2V to pass (to protect 1/10 motors). All you need is a high quality 2S with a high discharge rate (A) for high performance crawling...and that's all you need.

This will help you understand the basic function of an ESC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor
rooktakesqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooktakesqueen View Post
Think of your ESC as a funnel...it won't let anymore juice pass than a 2S will give...if you use a 3S or 4S, the ESC will store the extra juice as HEAT...so it's pointless to use more than you need (and expensive)
Quote:
The cornerstone feature of an ESC is the fact that it's a resistor (V = IR)...all the other features are built on that.. voltages over 7.2 are stored as heat since 1/10 ESC's are designed only to allow 7.2V to pass (to protect 1/10 motors). All you need is a high quality 2S with a high discharge rate (A) for high performance crawling...and that's all you need.

This will help you understand the basic function of an ESC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor
Holly crap you are a genius! Could you tell me more about this phenomenon and how it also would effect my common sense and eyesight of actually seeing the difference? Tell me more about my 7.2v motors also please, damn lying manufactures must have been fooling all of us on this one
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

What makes the motor turn more rpm's with 3s than 2s?

Quote:

corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

The job of an esc is not to funnel power, but to proportion the amount of voltage going to the motor from 0% up to 100%. From 0v to 14.4v, or what have you... But you seem too smart to know that.