Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: lipo storage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #1

Default lipo storage?

quick qestion for ya'll

i know nothing about lipos really, im about to pick up some 5000mah 25c 2s lipos, now i dont run my trucks every day, i'd say maybe a few times a month.

now if i fully charge a lipo and put it away, how long untill the voltage will drop to a level where the cells are damaged?
DannyDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDodge View Post
quick qestion for ya'll

i know nothing about lipos really, im about to pick up some 5000mah 25c 2s lipos, now i dont run my trucks every day, i'd say maybe a few times a month.

now if i fully charge a lipo and put it away, how long untill the voltage will drop to a level where the cells are damaged?
You don't want to store Lipos fully charged.

If your charger has a storage charge rate, use it, otherwise store them at around 65%

If they sit idle for any prolonged periods of time make sure you check the voltage every once in a while.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I had 5 - 1320 mAh lipos that I used with a RC helicopter, I put them away back in 2006 with about a 70% charge. I recently bought a crawler, just before Christmas, and was going to order some batteries when I remembered the 5 that I had put away. All 5 of them had about the same voltage, took a charge and have been working fine since. I was shocked and extremely happy that I didn't need to buy new batteries.

Last edited by Airmaxx23; 01-03-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Airmaxx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmaxx23 View Post
I had 5 - 1320 mAh lipos that I used with a RC helicopter, I put them away back in 2006 with about a 70% charge. I recently bought a crawler, just before Christmas, and was going to order some batteries when I remembered the 5 that I had put away. All 5 of them had about the same voltage, took a charge and have been working fine since. I was shocked and extremely happy that I didn't need to buy new batteries.

so basically it takes along time for the cells to lose voltage?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I think it depends. They don't self-discharge like nimh batteries will, but I have had some go completely dead while in storage. So ideally you should check them every now and then as suggested, because once they lose their charge you will probably not be able to revive them- I never have. Storage voltage is definitely best. My Hyperion charger has a storage charge setting that I use if I won't be running the battery for a few days or more.
rod.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
I think it depends. They don't self-discharge like nimh batteries will, but I have had some go completely dead while in storage. So ideally you should check them every now and then as suggested, because once they lose their charge you will probably not be able to revive them- I never have. Storage voltage is definitely best. My Hyperion charger has a storage charge setting that I use if I won't be running the battery for a few days or more.

alright cool, im going to have to look and see if my ICE charger has a storage charge
Old 01-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
RCC Addict

the ICE does not have a storage charge. I would recommend getting a balancer also so you keep them tip top. I've had batteries go out of balance in storage
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #8

Default storage

Store them in an old ammo can or some other non flammable container!
landmissle is offline   Reply With Quote