Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need help on purchasing an ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Need help on purchasing an ESC

Need to know witch vendors will solder a connection onto the battery wires for you. I can't solder for my life and just need a vendor to do it.
LittleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Try Holmes Hobbies. John has all that stuff and might do it for ya. The Holmes BRXL ESC is an awesome ESC. He also has other Castle products as well. www.holmeshobbies.com

Last edited by jcboof; 01-04-2011 at 06:07 PM.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Onto a battery? Check out www.cheapbatterypacks.com for quality battery packs. Chris_the_Battery_Man will put any type of plug onto his batteries for you. I think there's even an option on the webpage but regardless, you can PM him with what you'd like and he'll take care of you.

EDIT: Nevermind, your post made me think a battery, I forgot the thread is titled "Need help purchasing an ESC"

I'd bet most smaller vendors would be willing to do it for you, maybe not the big stores as they're more automated. I know Jason at Krawler-Hobbies is very willing to work with customers and would gladly help you out. He's also still small enough that your request won't get lost in the mix and forgotten. Just remember that once an ESC has been soldered you will lose any chance at returning it to the manufacturer except for defective issues.

As stated above the Holmes BRXL ESC is great and I'm sure John would do it for you.

Last edited by AdverseCity; 01-04-2011 at 06:11 PM.
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

u could maybe by a used one off here with the conectors already on it if not jon will most likely do it if u ask real nice
t-boner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDave View Post
Need to know witch vendors will solder a connection onto the battery wires for you. I can't solder for my life and just need a vendor to do it.
Local hobby shop would probably have a guy that would soldier it for you or maybe one of their local customers.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I'm lookin for anyone to do it really. It can be a LHS I just got my pack from cbp but it has the wrong connector on it. He's sending me a deans female for it. Perhaps I should just send the pack back and let him do it.
LittleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

You could ship it back and pay for the shipping both ways and I'm sure he'd be happy to solder it on for you but it'll cost you a lot more than necessary. I'd suggest just bringing it into your local hobby shop and they'll do it for you, most likely free of charge.

Another option is to practice your soldering and try it yourself. If you're going to stay with RC in general it won't be the last thing you need soldered, that I can guarantee. I used to get a buddy of mine to solder my stuff but he finally got tired of it and forced me to do my own. Now I'm actually pretty good at it and it's much easier not having to wait for someone else to do it for me. As a tip, if you're having trouble soldering try using a little extra flux. That's what helped me even though the solder has flux inside it. Just flux and tin both items to solder and then hold them together while heating with the iron. It's much easier than trying to hold things together while adding solder and you'll get a better join. Just don't forget to put the heatshrink on first, I forget a lot and it's frustrating having to do it twice because of that.
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDave View Post
I'm lookin for anyone to do it really. It can be a LHS I just got my pack from cbp but it has the wrong connector on it. He's sending me a deans female for it. Perhaps I should just send the pack back and let him do it.
If this is your hobby then you may want to consider learning the basics of soldering, its pretty simple to do & a little practice goes a long way.

I learned by watching some videos on youtube to get the basic concept and practiced on some spare wire & plugs I had laying around. Give it a shot, you will be amazed how easy it really is..........
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote