Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Warning: WantASummit DX3E Hack Does not work properly with Novak's M2 Dig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Warning: WantASummit DX3E Hack Does not work properly with Novak's M2 Dig

Hey all, Just to start, my intent is not to Bash WantASummit, i am glad he supports the community in the ways he does, it's more of a warning, that despite the mentioning of the Novak M2 on his hack site seven times! it does NOT work properly with the M2, it severely overdrives the rear, stalls out the front, caused my receiver to lose bind if powered off for a length of time (all of these issues were correctly when i uninstalled the mod).

Now my issue with HIM is, he clearly did not test with the M2, His site is VERY misleading with the references to the M2, and REFUSED to give me any sort of refund for BETA TESTING his mod!

Just a warning, DO NOT buy this mod if you have the M2 it DOES NOT WORK as intended and advertised!
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Why would you need the hack if you have a M2?

Maybe Im missing some info, but I thought the hack was for 2 ESC's with a DX3E, not a M2. Would'nt a DX3E run a M2 without a mod?
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

yes it works fine with out it, but the mod was "supposed" to give you mixing and the momentary switch on the grip, which is what i was hoping for.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You could keep the momentary switch and find a way to have youe 2p/3p/ln switch in a good spot to switch from 3p to ln. That way you dont need the hack, but I thought the hack made the 3rd channel the second esc port. I could be wrong.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

the 3rd channel is always the 2nd esc port with the M2. I even used it like that with my Traxxas Link 3 channel to operate the dig.

the only thing this mod was supposed to accomplish with the M2 is to give you mixing from front to rear, which not only did it not do that (which may or may not be the M2's fault) but it also messed up a lot of other things like the front stall, rear overdrive, and binding drops.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I know you are not trying to bash him but he is just one dude not a huge corporation. Theoretically I dont understand why it doesnt work, it should do the same thing as the DX3e normally does. Just remember that he is a forum member who decided to tinker a little bit and has come out with some great stuff that major manufactures havent been able to make right.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Isent the wires from the M2 that go into the 3rd ch. just the dig and mix, but you would have the throttle signal Fing the dig and mix up. Think about it like this. The m2 is 1 esc, you are using a hack for 2 esc's. Imo, he should have never said it was possible at all. Once you put it back to stock form it was fine. It proves that the hack isent meant in any way for the m2. I like the fact that he did this though, I have been looking into doing it on my DX3E myself. On another note, how easy was the hack to perform? If you mind me asking.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Isent the wires from the M2 that go into the 3rd ch. just the dig and mix, but you would have the throttle signal Fing the dig and mix up. Think about it like this. The m2 is 1 esc, you are using a hack for 2 esc's. Imo, he should have never said it was possible at all. Once you put it back to stock form it was fine. It proves that the hack isent meant in any way for the m2. I like the fact that he did this though, I have been looking into doing it on my DX3E myself. On another note, how easy was the hack to perform? If you mind me asking.
that's exactly my complaint, he states the M2 7 times on his site, which, he has obviously not tested it, i really don't expect it to be perfect, but i do expect it to do what he says it will, and with talking to and troubleshooting with him, i got the impression he never did any testing with the M2 but just assumed it would work because theoretically, it should. I was ok with spending the money on it because i assumed the money over the $5 circuit board, was for the R&D, but that just does not seem to be the case.

All i would like from him, is for him to revise his site as to not mislead more people,. and refund me my money.

Last edited by T3rry; 01-11-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys, I just wanted to take this opportunity to provide just one response. It is OK to bash if bashing is warranted!

I do indeed mention that the hack can be set to provide the proper signals to an M2 and I stand behind that. I replaced the operation of the LIN mode with a fully proportional knob that runs CH3 independent of the throttle.

I will provide 2 quotes from Novak’s web site and setup instructions:

Novak Website: “Proportional Dig Mode. This completely original mode uses a transmitter's third channel that is proportional (button or dial), allowing drivers to vary the amount of Dig Power being applied to the motor. This innovative feature provides seemingly endless fine tuning of the Dig for the ultimate vehicle control.”

M2 DIG Field Guide: “PROFILE 2 – Proportional Dig Mode – In this mode, the amount of dig power applied to each motor is directly proportional to the position of the AUX/3rd channel. The transmitter must have an AUX/3rd channel and must have a proportional-style switch or control similar to a dial or knob.”

Unfortunately, the warning should probably be about the M2 in proportional mode. From all my research, it appears that getting proportional mode to work is the exception rather than the rule at this point. I hope this is resolved soon for anyone with an M2 using any radio.

Why no refund? While working through multiple PMs and some re-wiring to match the instructions, he did indeed get CH3 to work linearly using a servo proving that the hack does what it should (exactly what is required by the M2 documentation). It was at this point I suggested waiting for the M2 issues to be worked out. Only when requesting a refund were any other issues brought up. This is a hack, it involves fine soldering and there is potential for things to go wrong out of my control.

Thanks for letting me provide my input, I will step back now and accept my beating.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
RCC Addict

From what I can tell Novak has had about 5 trillion firmware changes to this system and it appears that the m2 is giving folks fits with all radio's. My experience with Wantasummit, which is limited, is that his products do exactly what he says they will do. If someone downline creates a problem I can't blame wantasummit for that. T3rry keep up the keepen on with this, and I most definitely appreciate your troubles and I hope you get them worked out.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I wasent bashing you man. I thought that the hack would work with the M2 or a single escand a punkdig. Hell, I'm thinking of doing this mod. Sorry if Isounded like Iwasbashing in any way.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

No, I was just saying that it is OK if someone wants to. It can help relieve some frustration. I don't think anyone has actually done any bashing in this thread yet including T3rry! By the way, he was pretty easy to work with for the troubleshooting and provided some great videos of what was going on.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Like I said from the start, my intention was not to bash, just to notify people that its not as plug and play as your site suggests, if I were you i'd put a warning at least, telling people that THEORHETICALLY it will work, however, currently its just not gonna happen.

I will not be continuing to beta test this, I have sold my dx3e and ordered myself a 4pl.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
RCC Addict

But your fine with BETA testing the M2?
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Sounds like the hack worked great... just didn't work with the m2 shitty programming which as mentioned is getting updated all the time cause novak doesn't know how to step into modern electronic esc's lol. WAS designed a hack to do what the m2 says it can do and he did... how ever the m2 is what's letting you down. Sorry man but I'm on WAS side he doesn't owe you anything. Maybe put a warning on the site saying something like "might work on the m2 if novak ever steps up to fix their garbage esc"
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
But your fine with BETA testing the M2?
Krawler Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Sounds like the hack worked great... just didn't work with the m2 shitty programming which as mentioned is getting updated all the time cause novak doesn't know how to step into modern electronic esc's lol. WAS designed a hack to do what the m2 says it can do and he did... how ever the m2 is what's letting you down. Sorry man but I'm on WAS side he doesn't owe you anything. Maybe put a warning on the site saying something like "might work on the m2 if novak ever steps up to fix their garbage esc"
that's all i am expecting, because currently, it does not work with the M2, reguardless of whose fault it is, reguardless if it "theorhetically" works, it just does not work right, and i don't think he should be misleading people and advertising it as such until it does work, if ever, if i had known he never did any real testing with the M2, i would not have purchased it, simple as that, i bought it because he has the m2 mentioned several time son his site, leading me to believe it had actually been tested with it.

But either way, there's no sides here, i am simply warning other potential purchasers of his mod, that it does not work as they would expect it to.

I just expected that he would be willing to give me a refund if i returned the part to him, it would be nothing for him to resell it if he's so confident that it's not his part that's the problem. I however, do not have that confidence, and will not resell it and pass my headache on to someone else.

and trust me, looking back now, i know i made a mistake buying the M2, but it's what I've got now and I have to live with it, i will be replacing it with a real dual setup in the future, when money permits.

Last edited by T3rry; 01-11-2011 at 10:40 PM.