Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: sidewinder and sidewinder SCT troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default sidewinder and sidewinder SCT troubleshooting

I am trying to get my rig running, but am having problems with both of my ESC. I purchased both of these units used(supposedly the SCT was new) around a month or two ago. Both of the sidewinders seem to arm and give me a solid yellow light, solid green when I ask for forward, and solid red when I ask for reverse. All the lights light up and I hear the beeping, but the wheels never turn.

I have hooked the motor leads directly up to a battery and the motor spins fine. I have hooked up a servo in that channel on the receiver and the servo functions correctly. I have tried a different radio, a different receiver, and a different motor(motor is definetely ok). When I put a voltmeter in the outputs of the ESC I am detecting voltage, but I am not really sure what I am supposed to be seeing. I have also tried putting the deadband to the highest setting(1500ms). I am out of ideas and I was really hoping to get this thing crawling by tommorrow... Anyone have any ideas for me?
nstn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Official Cook of the ECC

I have one here that does the same thing. I can program it as well with no issues. No output on the motor leads though.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Are the ESC's set for Brushless or Brushed (High Power) or Brushed (Reverse)?

Sorry just reread you post and saw you check the motor on a battery, so must be brushed.

Last edited by SuperRoo; 01-15-2011 at 10:00 AM.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

running brushed 45t with the esc set up on brushed reversing.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well... on my SCT I found some good news through Castle Support... V1.29 firmware(I believe both current Beta Versions as well) the Brushed motors work with the red and white wires... not the red and black.

On my regular Sidewinder the news is worse... looks like it's gotta go in for some service.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstn8 View Post
Well... on my SCT I found some good news through Castle Support... V1.29 firmware(I believe both current Beta Versions as well) the Brushed motors work with the red and white wires... not the red and black.

On my regular Sidewinder the news is worse... looks like it's gotta go in for some service.
For the Castle, I think you should use version 1.24 only, do NOT go higher as there are issues when used for crawlers.
Try it and see.
(I'm running a single CC MM firmware 1.24 on 2 brushed motors on a Bully MOA....runs great.)
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstn8 View Post

not true. all 3 of my sidewinders run the latest FW, and i'm not using the whire wire at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
For the Castle, I think you should use version 1.24 only, do NOT go higher as there are issues when used for crawlers.
Try it and see.
(I'm running a single CC MM firmware 1.24 on 2 brushed motors on a Bully MOA....runs great.)
running the latest on all 3 of my sidewinders, no issues, I read about the issues and had to try it, have yet to expeiriance anything negitive
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The SCT Sidewinder does not support firmware prior to 1.29... it also supports 1.30 and 1.31... both in beta... I never tried 1.30, but 1.29 and 1.31 definetely work with the RED and WHITE wire on the SCT Sidewinder as of 1/17/2011.