Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4PL not working the Punk dig.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 4PL not working the Punk dig.

I erased my former post since I got the smoke figured out. so now the only issue is that the 4PL won't run the Punk Dig properly.
Green light, and both axles drive. RED light, and front axle drives, BLUE light and nothing. The servo view shows channel 4 traveling to 100% each direction with each travel starting from neutral.

I maxed out the EPA's, and changed the settings in the radio. I set the DT-4 to channel 4, the range to 100 (steps I assume) and Normal.
I have Channel 4 set as:
REV: NOR
POSI: 0
SUBTRM: 0
EPA's @ 100%

I get the Punk to acknowledge each direction, but it will still only go 4WD and Front-WD.
Any idea's.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I think you have your radio set up properly. You indicate that the punk shows it is getting the three operating mode commands from the transmitter. The problem seems to be that the relay that operates the rear motor isn't switching. Time to contact the manufacturer or troubleshoot to the component level if you are comfortable with that.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Does it sound the same switching to either dig? There should be a nice loud click on both sides. My guess is that one of your relays isnt working.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Relay's are clicking nice and loud. That's why I'm not sure why I can't get the rear dig to work. Using the rear steer, I can dig better towards a gate so I was going to just deal with it, but only a few minutes into testing, the rear servo is barely moving now.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you have an ohmmeter, you can troubleshoot the relay. If you give me the part number of the relay, I can probably tell you what to look for.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have two of rigs with the punk dig and the 4pl. My 2.2 works perfectly. On my Super, I am having the same issues as Krakker. I have played with the settings in the 4pl, and it seems to have something to do with the trims for channel 4(where I have my Dig) If I take my epa settings down to 50 -70 and then set the switch to do 50% increments and it has been working. I just have to hit the button twice to get it to move between positions. I thought it was a bad relay also, but my previous statement got it working again.

On my 2.2, I had to do nothing but plug it in. Kind of wierd, I was going to try it again tonight. I think I am going to set my EPA's at 0, switching to 100 and slowly move my EPA's up until the light flashes and I hear the click. Either a 4pl setting or a short in a relay on the punk. I will let you know how it turns out.
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
RCC Addict

If the punkdig is changing colors, the 4PL is working properly.

Punkdig is shot.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
20K Club

The Punk is getting the signal, thats really all the radio can do. If hitting it twice is working like described it sounds like it may be the digital signal. You can change the mode the 4PL sends the signal in to a slower analog mode. That may do the ticket.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I could try playing with the settings some more for the EPA's but like I said before, the relays are clicking plenty loud, there's just no go for front dig.
I can try the mode signal Harley and see if that fixes it but at this point I'm thinking that something just decided to give up in the PUNK. Rear dig is fine, 4WD is fine, only front dig is poop.

After watching the rear servo lose 90% power, I think the smoke from the BEC I had earlier was in fact fatal.

The front 7950 is direct wired, and so was the rear, since Harley, hasn't had problems with running servo's from the Futaba rx's, I might try running the rear 7955 strait from the rx after I install a new BEC into it.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
The Punk is getting the signal, thats really all the radio can do. If hitting it twice is working like described it sounds like it may be the digital signal. You can change the mode the 4PL sends the signal in to a slower analog mode. That may do the ticket.
Gave that a try Harley and no luck. Servo power seems to take throttle input to help get them to turn but as soon a there's a load against them they have NO holding power.
Man the girl was happy to see thing roll and now she's heart broken. Damn I feel bad. I've never had this much trouble with anything crawler related.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
I could try playing with the settings some more for the EPA's but like I said before, the relays are clicking plenty loud, there's just no go for front dig.
I can try the mode signal Harley and see if that fixes it but at this point I'm thinking that something just decided to give up in the PUNK. Rear dig is fine, 4WD is fine, only front dig is poop.

After watching the rear servo lose 90% power, I think the smoke from the BEC I had earlier was in fact fatal.

The front 7950 is direct wired, and so was the rear, since Harley, hasn't had problems with running servo's from the Futaba rx's, I might try running the rear 7955 strait from the rx after I install a new BEC into it.
Just because the relay is clicking doesn't mean there's not a fault somewhere else in the circuitry.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I just sent Emails to Punk and CC, to see if they can be repaired and what the costs would be. Sure sucks, but I'd like to have her rig running like it should.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Something has got to be funky with the settings on the radio. Maybe the Punk Dig can't function from the 4th channel position, I really don't know. I've tried max'n out the EPA's, this N that, and still NO LUCK!

The PUNK DIG IS NOT the problem. I reversed ch4 for poops-N-laughs, and I can get the front dig to work now but NO rear. SOOOO, I know the dig is working properly, it's just the radio system not communicating to the dig.
I could really use some help here on this from Harley or anyone else that's running a Punk dig from the 4th ch.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Plug it into another channel and try it...If that works then there has to be something going on on the radio side of things but it is weird that different channels would be different. I dont know, seems like the dig should be working if you hear the relay click over.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
Something has got to be funky with the settings on the radio. Maybe the Punk Dig can't function from the 4th channel position, I really don't know. I've tried max'n out the EPA's, this N that, and still NO LUCK!

The PUNK DIG IS NOT the problem. I reversed ch4 for poops-N-laughs, and I can get the front dig to work now but NO rear. SOOOO, I know the dig is working properly, it's just the radio system not communicating to the dig.
I could really use some help here on this from Harley or anyone else that's running a Punk dig from the 4th ch.
Mine does the same thing when I reversed everything. I agree it has something to do with the 4 ch. I don't use the 4ws mix, so I will move my dig to CH3 then my rear steer to CH4. I will let you know if it works.

One thing I did notice. I may have this backwards but the rx that came with the 4pl works in both sfhss and fhss. The one in my super is the R2004GF rx and it will only work in the FHSS mode. Not sure that has anything to do with it, but the punk is on CH3 in my 2.2.

Only way I got it to work was in my above post. I did not get time to mess with it last night, but that is what I am doing tonight.

EDIT: I thought I would mention that my 4pl has the new software update also!

Any other ideas??

Last edited by THnCS; 01-19-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by THnCS View Post
Mine does the same thing when I reversed everything. I agree it has something to do with the 4 ch. I don't use the 4ws mix, so I will move my dig to CH3 then my rear steer to CH4. I will let you know if it works.

One thing I did notice. I may have this backwards but the rx that came with the 4pl works in both sfhss and fhss. The one in my super is the R2004GF rx and it will only work in the FHSS mode. Not sure that has anything to do with it, but the punk is on CH3 in my 2.2.

Only way I got it to work was in my above post. I did not get time to mess with it last night, but that is what I am doing tonight.

EDIT: I thought I would mention that my 4pl has the new software update also!

Any other ideas??

For the steering functions I'm wanting with the girls 2.2, I have to use the steering mix as described in the manual. Still though, the 4th ch, should work as it's programed too.

I'm curious if I could get the Punk unit to work in ch. 3, could I mix the 1st & 4th ch. to work the steering? The only concern I'd have is would I be able to control all 4 or even 3 of the steering functions?????

EDIT: I do have the latest revisions for the 4PL. (sent it in as soon as I got it)
Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Ok, I have messed with this for a few hours. I used 3 different rx's, the 2104 that comes with the 4pl and 2 of the 2004, and two different 4pl tx's. Both have the updates.

I changed my rear steer to ch4 and the dig to ch3. Hooked it up and and the dig worked perfect. I then cycled through my rear steering, set up in 10 increments. WEnt right, worked fine, started to cycle the left and once it got 3 clicks in, esc shut off, nothing. 1 click back right and it came back to life. I changed which buttons did what, different rx and tx combos and the same thing happened every time. Something is up with CH4 in the TX.

Changed everything back to what was mentioned above. Rear steer on ch3 and dig back on ch4. Rear steer in 10 increments, ch4 moving 100% each way and the epas at 100. Rear steer moved perfect, but when we get back to the ch4 and the dig. It worked one way perfect, then nothing the other way. Something is up with ch4.

I did get it to work!! Dig has to be on ch4. When setting up what button you want assigned to ch4, choose it to travel in 50 increments instead of 100. The epa's can stay at 100. It works fine on mine and worked in all the different rx and tx combos. Doing it this way I was still only having to hit the button once each direction to engage dig. Hopefully this will help stop some frustration!!

Harley, Something is up on CH4. Once the travel goes over the 40 or 50% mark on that certain direction with ch4, it shuts the esc down completely. Not sure what is causing it.

I am thinking a bad software update? Not sure, if it helps, my radio was in Hobby Services on 1/3 and shipped back on 1/5. The other one used was in Hobby services just before Christmas. PM me if you have some specific questions for me, just trying to help. I love this radio!!!!

Last edited by THnCS; 01-19-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #18
20K Club

I will see if I can set something up similar and replicate the effects.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I will see if I can set something up similar and replicate the effects.
THnCS, THANKS for all the help you've done with trying different cenarios. At this point Im wondering if it's just something with the updates that didn't get covered.

HARLEY, Thanks for looking into this. I appreciate ALL the work you've put into the 3/4PK & 4PL threads. It's been great having your knowledge here. I hope you can figure out if it's radio programing or something in the firmware with the channel 4. I'm super happy with this radio and it's perfect for my girl, she's loving the steering functions and having a blast. But with her getting better and understanding the dig functions it would be good to have it work right.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #20
20K Club

We are looking into this further.