Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: vxl 3s or fuze esc?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default vxl 3s or fuze esc?

here's what im looking at.
the traxxas because it's waterproof and has the range of imput voltage that i would like.
the dynamite beacause of the ability to go brushed or brushless, and can also go to 3s.
i'd really like to know how both these units hold up and what if any quirks to be aware of before buying.
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

well the vxl esc can do it all, it can run brushed/brushless, 3s lipo with lvc, sensored/sensorless motors and its waterproof, now the vxl isnt the greatest crawler esc but it gets the job done, i ran one in my honcho with the vxl motor and it was a pretty good setup, i dont know to much about fuze so your on your own with that one unless someone else chimes in
honcho1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

oh snap! I seem to not have done thorough reading before posting . I didn't know vxl did brushed/bl . that sums it up for me then, vxl it is. thanks. I did kinda dig the programming card with the fuze, but kinda thought it more a flashy gimmick and probably a headache to set up. I don't do comp and not a lot of rocks here, so not having a drag brake doesn't seem to bother me too much. but then I've never owned a r/c w/drag so I probably don't know what I'm missing.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

well drag brake is a real nice feature, but ya man i loved my vxl system, it handled the trails really good, mud, sand everything but rocks because its not sensored but once you get it goin itll go slow but man it has some punch when you pull the trigger, i would run it on 3s lipo it likes that alot

also if you didnt know the vxl motor is a 3500kv/10turn motor, the esc itself has no motor limit so you can safley run any turn motor
Old 01-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Castle sidewinder is my suggestion. $30 rebate until the end of January so total cost is less that $50! It can be set up crawler specific with the castle link.
gapjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

but i think he is wanting somethin thats waterproof already, but ya the sidewinder is a darn good esc and easily waterproofed
Old 01-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Traxxas dude all the way.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

yeah not looking at the vxl combo, just the esc. the mention of sidewinder is funny... I was initiallylooking at castle when I first bought the scx. I went into a couple LHS, just browsing and 2 outta 3 LHS tried to sell me on the sidewinder short course(after they asked what I was using it for). don't know why , I'm not running a short course truck . thanks though for the replies, I THINK vxl is where I'm headed. seems some concerns on various forums with the dynamite for now.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Toss on a $20 HPI gear reduction unit, and you got your drag brake. You could also use training mode, and adjust the throttle trim too help.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapjr View Post
Castle sidewinder is my suggestion. $30 rebate until the end of January so total cost is less that $50! It can be set up crawler specific with the castle link.
Where can you get this deal at. I am trying to decide what to put on my super class I am building and two sidewinders may work. Thanks!
Bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

from castle creations using their rebate
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Where can you get this deal at. I am trying to decide what to put on my super class I am building and two sidewinders may work. Thanks!

Yeah, just google "castle sidewinder rebate". Only a week left to buy it and get the rebate. Easy enough .
Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08sv View Post
yeah not looking at the vxl combo, just the esc. the mention of sidewinder is funny... I was initiallylooking at castle when I first bought the scx. I went into a couple LHS, just browsing and 2 outta 3 LHS tried to sell me on the sidewinder short course(after they asked what I was using it for). don't know why , I'm not running a short course truck . thanks though for the replies, I THINK vxl is where I'm headed. seems some concerns on various forums with the dynamite for now.
I'm pretty sure the SCT version sidewinder can be programmed for crawling just like all the other sidewinders.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Toss on a $20 HPI gear reduction unit, and you got your drag brake. You could also use training mode, and adjust the throttle trim too help.
off of what hpi? or a part #. thanks
Old 01-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #15

As far as the sidewinder goes, If I am reading this correctly you have to buy from a LHS?

Eligible products must be purchased by an end user customer from a hobby dealer or reseller in the 50 United States
LNC-MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNC-MJ View Post
As far as the sidewinder goes, If I am reading this correctly you have to buy from a LHS?

Eligible products must be purchased by an end user customer from a hobby dealer or reseller in the 50 United States

That means you can buy it from any hpi dealer. Any online hobby shop or LHS. I just wouldn't buy off ebay and expect a rebate. I bought my sidewinder from Tower and got the rebate with no problems. You pay full price at purchase, send in the receipt and barcode from the box and a couple of weeks later you get a $30 check from castle.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #17

Cool, Im going to check my LHS today and see if I can find one. That way I can post date the mail to make the rebate cut off
LNC-MJ is offline   Reply With Quote