Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak ballistic motor problems need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Novak ballistic motor problems need help

i have a goat 3s esc with a ballistic 21.5 motor that just started glitching. It wont run forward unless i hit reverse then it wont stay running in forward unless i manually spin the spur gear then it goes forward.I narrowed it down to it being a motor problem. maybe the sensor wire? has any one experienced this problem ?
flizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I had similar problems on many Ballistic motors. Novak's tech guy called that the "push start" syndrome. It actually effected a couple of my mamba max pros too.

Just came down to the timing board on back. If you have another timing board, switch it out.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

thanks i will try it
Old 01-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Didn't work it must be the ESC I still have glitching on two different motors I guess this is a big issue with the Goat 3s lots of others are experiencing the same issue it's just junk I guess I'm sending it all back to Novak in the morning
Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #5

Default has to be a Novak crawler motor, with crawler sensor.

Novak put a resistor in all their "Crawler" motors timing/sensor ,which transmits through the blue wire, to tell the Goat 3 which internal software program to run. How you tell which program your goat 3 is operating in; just push the transmitter throttle into reverse, if you need to push reverse twice before reversing engages, the goat 3 is not in crawler mode and is in regular ESC mode. Also, you will get the out of timing lock-out (blue light) coming on every while. I have a Ballistic 17.5 (non-crawler) motor and Novak sells the Crawler Timing/Senor plate (part# s5945) for $15 bucks on their website, I'll be calling Novak today(after 2pm) to see if I can buy this plate and convert the 17.5. I know the Ballistic Crawler has a large 14mm rotor for added torque but this is a fun rig(losi CC) for my 8yr old son and I don't have the $100 smackers for another motor. Last, I heard of putting a resistor to the ground wire to trick the Goat3 into thinking it's a Crawler motor but no-body has come forward with exact details on Resistor Ohms, etc. I will post any findings about timing/sensor conversion and blue wire mods.
rc12ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #6

Default ok, got a little info

Ok, I'm rite. Ballistic and Ballistic Crawler motors are different in 2 ways. First: the Timing/Sensor on the Crawler motor has the resistor that tells the Goat its a Crawler Motor and use the Crawler software. Second, the rotor in the Ballistic Crawler is 14mm (a little bigger) for stronger breaking. If you have a Losi Comp Crawl then you have no worries(worm gears) and can buy the Crawler Timing/sensor and convert a standard Ballistic motor to work with the Goat3. Timing/Sensor(s5945). Purchase the sensor direct thru Novak's website. There is added torque from the 14mm rotor but it aint significant. Put the timing on the Non-Crawler Ballistic at N on the timing sticker.
Remember: only use 2s with 18.5 to 13.5 AND 3s with 21.5 or you will over heat. I'm using 2s with 17.5 and a 14pinion(running cool). I may be able to go up a tooth or two. Im guessing on a 2s 13.5 you will be limited to a 14tooth. I'm not sure what to use on 3s 21.5 for a pinion but I'd start at 16tooth and go up.
Also, on Losi CC its a good idea, once you found a good pinion that stays moderatly cool(as every setup seems to run warm), to run a motor fan. I found that you should run the Losi on flat ground while new to let the parts wear in. Run at medium speed till all warmed up, stop, let it cool and do it again a few times. The more the better. Losi's design is good but has a lot of fast hard 90degree enginering and breaking in helps.
Lastly, I haven't found anything out about the blue wire resistor.
rc12ls is offline   Reply With Quote