Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Looking for a radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Looking for a radio

In the research stage of possibly replacing my JR R-1 transmitter w/Spectrum module. For now it still meets my needs, but now that I've got my collection of vehicles at a point where I don't have to make upgrades ATM, I'm considering replacing this old workhorse, which has served me well for several years.

My basic needs are 3 channel, typical programability of things like EPA's and such, and minimum of 5 model memory (10 preferable). In working with a $250 limit, what radio's might you folks recommend? I'm not opposed to smaller brand names and models, like the PL-4 from RC4WD, I believe.

New options? Used options? Are there any new radios in the works to be released in the next 3-6 months that I should wait for?

All suggestions are welcomed.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

i just ordered the 4pl got it just under the 250 mark from rpp read the 4pl thread. i think its just what your looking for
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
In the research stage of possibly replacing my JR R-1 transmitter w/Spectrum module. For now it still meets my needs, but now that I've got my collection of vehicles at a point where I don't have to make upgrades ATM, I'm considering replacing this old workhorse, which has served me well for several years.

My basic needs are 3 channel, typical programability of things like EPA's and such, and minimum of 5 model memory (10 preferable). In working with a $250 limit, what radio's might you folks recommend? I'm not opposed to smaller brand names and models, like the PL-4 from RC4WD, I believe.

New options? Used options? Are there any new radios in the works to be released in the next 3-6 months that I should wait for?

All suggestions are welcomed.

I am curious why you want a new radio when the R-1 meets all your needs. It is a heavy radio, but I always wanted one but could only afford the XR3.

Randy
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The 4PL "IS" a great radio, not quite the craftsman ship of the 4PK, but the functions work.
If you really only need 3 channels, then I would suggest finding a used 3PK for your needs. They can use a spectrum module so you don't have to change over all your rx's that you already own, and they have all the mixing functions and capabilities of the 4PK only with 3 channels. They've got all the top of the line functions that make Futaba the king of crawling radios and you can even use it like a 4channel radio with "wantasummit's" dual servo adapter.
I'm running a 3PK with spectrum module (since I've got other rigs that have spect. rx's) and mix dual ESC's on my cralwer just like a 4PK, and can tune other trucks like my Hyper 10SC 4x4 with all the track modes you'd ever need.
3PK's can be found for a really decent price as well. I just saw one on rctech with a wrap, spectrum module and bag for $150. It was in great shape with drop down wheel and all.
That's my .02 for what is worth. Good luck getting a nice radio.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerrandy View Post
I am curious why you want a new radio when the R-1 meets all your needs. It is a heavy radio, but I always wanted one but could only afford the XR3.
Good question. That's part of the reason I'm in the research stage.

I'm trying to think down the road. And trying to learn about dig functions. I have a 3 pos 3rd channel that works as a proportional dig. The downside is that I can't program another switch to work as a full dig on/off. I have to scroll my dig through the prop to the end points. From what I understand, Spectrum 3R's and 3S's can program various switches independently to where I can have one work as prop, and another 3 pos be full dig's.

I have to admit that I'm not even sure if I've hit the limits of what the R-1 will do, but I haven't come across anyone knowledgeable about it to help me figure it out.

I'm just wondering if crawling gear will progress over the next year or two to where I would have a need for a 4 channel....or multiple switches for channel 3 functions.

I do like my radio. Maybe if I can find someone who has one who can help me with programing it, perhaps an upgrade isn't needed in the mid-term future.

But it sounds like there are a number of options which will fall under the $250 mark, especially used.

Maybe I'll spend some more time with the manual to see if there are things I'm overlooking on the R-1.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Got Worms?

I may have a radio in the market possibly a year, sooner or later depends on funds. It will be the most advance ground radio. But will come in higher than 250, probably 400-500. But I am going to start on a 6 ch which will be in the 250 range. But that is just a side project. If you're interested pm me
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

If your going for a new radio get a Futaba 4PL. If you want a used radio I got a Specktrum DX3S in the classifieds. The Berg needs a new pair of shoes
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #8

+1 on the 3Pks! I want a new 4pks, but I have plenty of time to save up since my 3pks is very close in features. I want the 4pks for the reduced weight and ergonomics. I race nitro and electric and the feel of the 4pks is more comfortable, especially for 30 minute nitro mains. The 3pks is a great radio for crawling with every feature you could need in a 3 channel radio!
tallyram is offline   Reply With Quote